Author Topic: Playstation kicked f*cking ass  (Read 2729 times)

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: Playstation kicked f*cking ass
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 07:56:25 AM »
Yeah, I went through all of my parents CDs on that game.

I wonder if that's why my PS1 died.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

seieienbu

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2017, 03:00:38 PM »
I've got a few mixed feelings about the Playstation.  If I only got one console from that generation then yeah, I'd go Playstation.  The library of games was vast and there are so many classic games and definitely enough unique titles that the console is a must have.

I played dozens of RPGs/ARPGs/Tacticl RPGs on the platform during its lifespan.  In fact, I'm sure that's what I mostly used it for.  I played everything Square and Enix had to offer as well as the less common games like Azure Skies, Thousand Arms, and Jade Cocoon.  From some of the very best in the genre (Dragon Quest 7, FF7, BoF3) to some of the very worst (Beyond the Beyond) I played every RPG I could get my hands on.  Finally, these games were coming out stateside in droves.  Rather than every game in the genre being set in the middle ages you'd have games like Front Mission, Star Ocean 2, or Parasite Eve that would actually have some variety in the genre.  One thing that I especially enjoyed about the PS era RPGs was the pre-rendered backgrounds with 3D characters/objects/paths placed on top.  I thought that a lot of them looked very classy and would seemlessly cut to CG FMV based on the same environments that the pre-rendered backgrounds were from.  All in all, I feel it was a great time to be into RPGs.

After RPGs, I think I enjoyed survival horror games the most.  I realize it wasn't exactly a brand new genre on the PS but I never played any until then.  Between Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Galerians, and a few others I would enjoy playing these a lot.  Generally I wouldn't buy these but instead rent them once or twice as there wasn't That much content to see.  It felt like this genre was a reasonable solution to the problem of controlling a 3D camera that many 3D games were having at the time.  Rather than having a camera that's kinda wonky, make the game intentionally have obscured camera angles and leave you without good knowledge of what's in every corner. 

Another nice thing about the Playstation:  games just expected you to have a memory card.  Renting games was better than ever during this era.  You could save every game and always return back to your game.  You never had to worry about some jerk saving over your game anymore.

With all that said, what could the reason for my mixed feelings be?!?  I feel that console generation was still too early for 3D games.  Between the low resolution textures and the low polygon count I by and large find most of the library displeasing to look at.  Hardware wise I prefer the Saturn.  I feel like the best looking games on the system had copious usage of 2D rather than 3D and rather than playing stuff like the neutered Playstation port of Xmen vs Street Fighter with no tagging on PS1 you could play the excellent Saturn port.  Looking back, I still wish that the Saturn had received more love in the states and that Sega had used better judgement/leadership at the time.

Yes, there are some excellent 2D games on the PS.  Symphony of the Night and Megaman X4 specifically stand out here.  Off the top of my head I also enjoyed Lowmax, Odd World, Silhouette Mirage.  On the other hand there are some excellent 3D games on the platform too, despite the current hardware limitations.  Metal Gear Solid, Spyro, Soul Blade, and Ghost in the Shell were some of my favorites.  But man, I really feel that the extra power of the (then) modern systems could have been much better spent on making really badass 2D stuff than on what most 3D games were.  I think a fair comparison here is Playstation to 3D is like Atari 2600 to 2D.  Yeah, there's some fun stuff but a whole lot of this generation is nonsense like Bubsy 3D where devs just seemed to be banging their heads against a wall trying to figure out how to make this fancy 3D stuff fun and enjoyable.  There are a lot of growing pains with the advent of 3D gaming and the PS is full of games demonstrating that fact.

Oh, and I don't like the controller.  Not the original, not the Dual Shock, and not any descendant of the Dual Shock.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »
PS1s 3D isn't great but man was it smooth compared to N64!

seieienbu

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »
Heh, I think I'd rather play no 3D games than most 3D games from that era regardless of which console they're on.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 05:06:44 PM »
3D, yeah, in general I agree, 3D didn't hit it's stride maybe till Dreamcast.  Still, there were some great games that were 3D.  I forgot to mention Tenchu, I have no idea how I forgot about that game!

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
As told numerous times before, I was pretty late to any PlayStation 1 related things.
Sure, I played a lot of Tekken 3 at a friend's home when it was the new hot shit, but that's all I experienced back in the day.

I bought my own PlayStation 2 SCPH-9x in 2008, so I could play MGS2 and 3. As soon as I learned about SDF Macross being a fantastic PS2 game, I got the console modbo-chipped, and from that moment on, I started importing Japanese PS1 and PS2 games. Mainly Konami shooters, Castlevania, 3d fighting games and quirky puzzle games. I've got almost no interest in the regular PS1 games that were well-known in Europe back then. Maybe I'll give Tomb Raider II a try someday.

-Castlevania Chronicles (essential)
It is indeed.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 11:11:20 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

nopepper

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 03:33:15 AM »
I don't consider getting 100% in Crash 2 to be that difficult.  I try to do it at least once per year.  It's a fun challenge that I look forward to.  Getting 100% on Crash 1 is much more difficult in my opinion.  I don't consider that as fun, and while I love the game, when I play it, I play it to beat it and that's it.  I've completed it 100% one time, and I doubt I will ever even try that again.  The fact that you have to get all boxes WITHOUT DIEING is what ruins it for me.  They fixed this issue in the HD remake on PS4, but unfortunately, the jumping physics are different, and therefore the game is unplayable for me.  I'll stick with the originals.

No doubt Crash 1 is more difficult, but it's also much worse designed (at least from what I can remember). I only rented it and never bothered to get back into it.

It's been too long for me to remember why we never 100% completed Crash 2, but I'm sure being in college and distracted by everything that entails had a lot to do with it. I've also never been the best platformer gamer, or an OCD completionist either, which is a testament to how good that game was, as it kept me entertained long after I had gotten to the ending. Not even Mario was able to do that.

Naughty Dog is one of the best developers out there. I don't care what anyone says, but every game I've played from them has been a masterpiece. Uncharted series, Last of Us, Crash 2. Reminds me I need to one day try out the Jak and Daxter series and perhaps Rings of Power.

TDIRunner

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 03:36:56 AM »
I think a fair comparison here is Playstation to 3D is like Atari 2600 to 2D.

I have made this exact same comparison before.  The 5th generation of gaming is to 3D the way the 2nd generation of gaming was to 2D.  The games were a lot of fun, but nothing has aged well in terms of graphics.  I love my PS1, but yes, many games are hard to look at.  In fact, I remember thinking that some of it was ugly even when it was brand new.  However, myself and many others were willing to overlook the graphical styles because the games were so much damn fun. 
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

nopepper

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 03:48:37 AM »
There's so many great games and B-side gems that I can't understand how someone would dislike the PS1 except for sega/nintendo fanboyism. Or maybe just a general dislike for early 3D graphics, I don't know.
I agree.

Even if you can't get past the early 3D graphics, the system has a lot to offer. I already listed a bunch of 2D stuff, but there is more, like Harmful Park, Gradius Gaiden, Gunners Heaven, Zanac x Zanac, Raiden Project, In the Hunt, Metal Slug X, Panzer Bandit, Silhouette Mirage, Oddworld, etc. etc.

And if you can get past graphics, there are a lot of 3D games that play like traditional 2D games such as the aforementioned Apocalypse, One and Silent Bomber.

in99flames

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2017, 02:48:34 AM »
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Thats all I have to say. An absolute mountain of awesome games for PS1...but that game is one of the ones i always seem to mention first.
I am somebody's mommy!
----name that movie quote :)

SiberianSpForces

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »
I remember the first night the PS1 came home. My brother got it on launch day and traded the SNES in towards it and me not knowing rented a SNES game for the weekend... :| He used to play D&D with some pals and they'd take game breaks. Order pizza and play Twisted Metal, then Tekken. He got me my own in '98. When he moved out, we swapped systems so I could play imports. Here's some gems I have;
Bushido Blade 1 & 2
SOTN
Deception
Hangtime(also have it on the 64)
MK Trilogy
Pocket Fighter
Real Bout Special Dominated Mind(JP)
Tekken 2(JP)
Shadow Madness
Strider 2
SF Collection vol.1
Tenchu
I also burned Thrill Kill and MK II.  :P

TDIRunner

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2017, 01:47:01 AM »
Over the weekend, I put a few hours into Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit.  That game is still a lot of fun.  I played that game endlessly when it first came out and it still holds up really well.  It isn't nearly as pretty today, but I think we all agree that the same can be said for most 5th gen games.  But the gameplay is really fun and the course design is great.  They really nailed the drifting in that game and the police chases are a lot of fun. 
Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2017, 04:17:56 AM »
A lot of games back then look f*ckin goofy now, but some looked goofy at the time, too.

I was playing Battle Arena Toshinden, lol...

they look so derpy.

TDIRunner

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »
A lot of games back then look f*ckin goofy now, but some looked goofy at the time, too.

Back in the day, a lot of it was easy to overlook because it was new and most of us had no experience playing stuff in 3D.  However, even when it was new it used to bug me when something that was obviously supposed to be a straight line was all jagged, and of course the general graininess of the PS1 was very noticeable.  But I've always made the argument that gameplay outweighs graphics anyway.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2017, 01:29:07 PM »
Looks like some PS1 games might now get the HD treatment, seeing that they're putting MediEvil remastered on PS4.  Makes me wonder what other games might get this treatment?

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/12/09/medievil-remaster-announced-for-playstation-4-in-4k-resolution/

I never played this game, but I assume it's going to be literally the PS1 version cleaned up & not a remake like the Crash Trilogy, which I need to get around to playing.  It would be nice if they HD'd Daxter & Lost Frontier, for completions sake, though, Lost Frontier was pretty meh.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:31:55 PM by ParanoiaDragon »