Author Topic: Playstation kicked f*cking ass  (Read 2728 times)

HuMan

Re: Playstation kicked f*cking ass
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2017, 04:23:47 PM »
A very nice person traded me a PS1 Gameshark cartridge, which I loaded Unirom on and now I can run backups on my unmodded SCPH-1001 console. I am very happy. Time for some Clock Tower, Silent Hill and Doom me thinks.  :D

Gypsy

« Reply #61 on: February 06, 2018, 03:28:09 AM »
A very nice person traded me a PS1 Gameshark cartridge, which I loaded Unirom on and now I can run backups on my unmodded SCPH-1001 console. I am very happy. Time for some Clock Tower, Silent Hill and Doom me thinks.  :D

Wow, how did I not know about this. I need to get this set-up to play all the stupid rares I will never buy.

Has this been working well for you? Looking around it seems to have some issues.

Anyway the actual reason I bumped this thread is I've started digging into some of the weirder PS1 titles out there and yeah there is some cool, kickass stuff.

xelement5x

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2018, 04:21:23 AM »
I thought you could just load PS1 roms onto a phat PS2 with hard drive?
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Gypsy

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2018, 04:53:22 AM »

I believe you can but I believe it is emulation so at that point I'd just emulate on PC.

If I am dumb and wrong about this (possible!) someone should correct me.

crazydean

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2018, 09:15:34 AM »

I believe you can but I believe it is emulation so at that point I'd just emulate on PC.

According to a thread on gamefaqs.com, the phat ps2 uses hardware while the slim PS2 emulates the ps1.
Arkhan: Im not butthurt by your enjoyment.  Im buttglad.

xelement5x

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2018, 10:07:56 AM »

According to a thread on gamefaqs.com, the phat ps2 uses hardware while the slim PS2 emulates the ps1.

Yeah, this is my understanding.  The original PS2 units pretty much just have the actual PS1 hardware in them, that doesn't mean every game still works perfectly though. I remember a  PSX Star Wars game I played on the PS2 that like the intro ran super fast.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Punch

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2018, 11:10:14 AM »
All PS2s have hardware retrocompat, the real problem is that the PS1 chip acts as the PS2's IO controller in PS2 mode. USB/HDD = PS2 Kernel Mode, Booting a PS1 game makes the IO chip take over the console hardware until reboot.

The HDD PS thing is done with a software emulator ripped from a Bomberman game distributed by Hudson through their "channel" in the Japan only PS2 Broadband Navigator. It's very lacking and buggy.

Gypsy

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2018, 11:59:06 AM »
All PS2s have hardware retrocompat, the real problem is that the PS1 chip acts as the PS2's IO controller in PS2 mode. USB/HDD = PS2 Kernel Mode, Booting a PS1 game makes the IO chip take over the console hardware until reboot.

The HDD PS thing is done with a software emulator ripped from a Bomberman game distributed by Hudson through their "channel" in the Japan only PS2 Broadband Navigator. It's very lacking and buggy.

These were the answers I was seeking. Thank you very much.

bob

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2018, 01:52:42 PM »
i found a sweet adapter that allows you to use a ps controller on a gamecube or xbox.  it has usb too, but i haven’t tried one on the pc yet

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2018, 07:08:25 PM »

This!

i found a sweet adapter that allows you to use a ps controller on a gamecube or xbox.  it has usb too, but i haven’t tried one on the pc yet

I have found a sweet adaptor that allows you to use a PlayStation controller on the Xbox 360, and vice-versa.

http://www.dx.com/p/ps2-to-xbox-360-controller-adapter-cable-33241

I've only tested it so far to use PS2 controllers on Xbox 360, and it works. You NEED a _wired_ Xbox 360 controller plugged into the USB jack of the adaptor as well, though, to make the Xbox 360 recognise the adaptor. Still, this is a pretty chinsy-flimsy Chinesium design, the build-quality isn't anything to write home about. At least there's no noticeable input lag, and guess what I'm kind of anal about any lag.
Useful for 2D games (e.g. the Monster World collection and Pac Man C.E.) as well as fighting games, because they benefit greatly from a good d-pad.

Otherwise, this is my go-to adress for all kinds of useful adaptors, they're the best:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:17:08 PM by ClodBuster »

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

TheClash603

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2018, 05:24:35 PM »
I'm a Saturn > Playstation guy for sure.

With that said, here are some PlayStation games that I liked, in no particular order and for no particular reason.

ESPN Extreme Games
Deception series
Twisted Metal 1 and 2
Destruction Derby
Blast Chamber
Resident Evil
A-Train
Final Fantasy 7
Project Horned Owl
Alien Trilogy
Symphony of the Night
Cool Boarders