Author Topic: Super Nt  (Read 3388 times)

jtucci31

Re: Super Nt
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2018, 04:24:21 AM »
I have a laptop hooked to the hdtv in our living room. It plays everything we watch and is setup with many libraries of classic games. It also plays real PC Engine CD games. It can use much better controllers than SNES without adaptors or or mods or anything. It comes with us on trips and is convenient and portable. I paid as much as a Super Nt shipped for it several years ago.

It doesn't get relegated to crts either, but it sure would be nice if it could connect to one.

I was just asking this in the chat, but what kind of controllers/adapters do you use when emulating on a laptop? I'm starting to realize that I won't always be able to carry CRTs with me (have been without one for months now so I haven't played any retro games in awhile) and it would just be more practical for me to move the way of roms on a laptop.

I've been looking at something like the 8bitdo snes pad, but I'm also pretty neutral on that pad in general.

My consoles may stay packed up for months at a time but when I get them out they get played every day for weeks. The older you get the more consoles you accumulate and the less time each one gets in your day to the point where it becomes *extremely* unlikely that all of them will be used in less time than it takes for them to accumulate dust.

I've also been finding how completely unnecessary it is to try to have everything hooked up all the time. Pretty soon I'd like to invest in some plastic tubs to store my shit in so that it's safe and relatively easy to access when I do get the itch to play Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch on Sega CD for 20 minutes and then throw back in a box.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2018, 04:44:56 AM »
In the 70s people used to store their system (their only system) every night.

Black Tiger

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2018, 05:37:48 AM »
I have a laptop hooked to the hdtv in our living room. It plays everything we watch and is setup with many libraries of classic games. It also plays real PC Engine CD games. It can use much better controllers than SNES without adaptors or or mods or anything. It comes with us on trips and is convenient and portable. I paid as much as a Super Nt shipped for it several years ago.

It doesn't get relegated to crts either, but it sure would be nice if it could connect to one.

I was just asking this in the chat, but what kind of controllers/adapters do you use when emulating on a laptop? I'm starting to realize that I won't always be able to carry CRTs with me (have been without one for months now so I haven't played any retro games in awhile) and it would just be more practical for me to move the way of roms on a laptop.

I've been looking at something like the 8bitdo snes pad, but I'm also pretty neutral on that pad in general.

My consoles may stay packed up for months at a time but when I get them out they get played every day for weeks. The older you get the more consoles you accumulate and the less time each one gets in your day to the point where it becomes *extremely* unlikely that all of them will be used in less time than it takes for them to accumulate dust.

I've also been finding how completely unnecessary it is to try to have everything hooked up all the time. Pretty soon I'd like to invest in some plastic tubs to store my shit in so that it's safe and relatively easy to access when I do get the itch to play Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch on Sega CD for 20 minutes and then throw back in a box.

I use usb Saturn pads on computers. I don't trust wireless pads of any kind for playing 2D games with realtime gameplay (ie: not RPGs, war sims, etc).

A little "netbook" (if they're still a thing) would probably handle emulation just fine.

It still shocks me every time I read comments in threads like this of people talking about spending lots of money to "minimize" input lag and playing games with either dropped frames or compromised speed. I accept the imperfections of emulation and it's a worthwhile compromise. I'd hate to get to the point where I'm used to anti-twitch gameplay and going back to trying a real arcade machine or console is difficult because I'm conditioned to offest my inputs.

It's also weird how so many people for so long now have said that they are prematurely ditching crts because "they won't be around forever" or are getting harder to find. It makes sense when people only have room in their home for a single TV or something. But not waiting until you have to and investing in a bunch of soon to be outdated mods and connections is only wasting a lot of mobey for the privelage of a compromised experience. Using external upscalers/converters is the only way to futureproof real console hardware.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 06:00:02 AM by Black Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

seieienbu

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2018, 07:23:08 AM »
As far as old game setups go, I also don't see the point of leaving everything hooked up.  I leave my Turbo Duo and my Genesis at my TV all the time.  They tend to get the most use.  The Genesis is a model 1 with a 32X that I just leave there because my scart cable is for a model 2 and I'm too lazy/cheap to buy a second one.  I have the Sega CD there as well because I'm fearful that if I let that thing just sit out it will die a decrepit death after not being played for more than a couple of months.  Frequently there's a SNES or a NES there or occasionally something else but those get swapped out with some frequency.

I don't feel the need to leave something like my Jaguar set up ever.  If I want to play Tempest 2000 or whatever then I'll pull it out of the closet. 
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Black Tiger

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2018, 08:19:05 AM »
Growing up no one had a game console hooked to a TV permanently. Many families even kept their VCRs stored away until use.

Other than freaks like me, only the richest kids had their own TVs until the 16-bit generation and even then it wasn't common.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Medic_wheat

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2018, 08:58:22 AM »
Growing up no one had a game console hooked to a TV permanently. Many families even kept their VCRs stored away until use.

Other than freaks like me, only the richest kids had their own TVs until the 16-bit generation and even then it wasn't common.

I had my own tv in my room at the age of 12.

Granted it was a old Sony tv maybe 12 inch screen. With knobs for the Chanel’s and volume. Granted the knobs fell off the channel and I used a pair of pliers.

And it only took rf.

It it was my tv gosh darn it.

CZroe

Super Nt
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2018, 10:32:19 AM »

If you're a fan of real hardware, then why are you using an Nt?

Im also a picture quality whore.   I did the Hi Def NES mod and it's phenomenal.  When I heard this was coming at an economical price point (IMO) I knew I would get it.  This is the only "clone" system I have but for me, it's similar to the Everdrive in that it's an elegant form of emulation.  Been playing it almost exclusively since it arrived.

Zeta's right about these things just accumulating.  I never thought I would end up with all these systems.  I never planned to get them and I keep saying that's the last one.  [emoji848]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
When are you getting your 3DO? [emoji6]

I had my own tv in my room at the age of 12.

Granted it was a old Sony tv maybe 12 inch screen. With knobs for the Chanel’s and volume. Granted the knobs fell off the channel and I used a pair of pliers.

And it only took rf.

It it was my tv gosh darn it.
Mine was black and white. Played NES, Atari, and some SNES that way before finding a color TV that lasted a few months. The. It was back to the K-Mart brand B&W set (rebranded Samsung) until 1994 when I got a color TV from an old hospital (electrically controllers dial for changing channels).

Actually, that B&W TV was my family’s only TV but my mom didn’t watch TV so it was essentially mine... and my twin brother’s.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:35:31 AM by CZroe »

Medic_wheat

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2018, 10:46:27 AM »
You are a twin as well?

Neat o

I have a twin sister.

It’s 36 years later and she still thinks she is the boss. Even though she is the “younger” sister.

CZroe

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2018, 11:59:13 AM »
You are a twin as well?

Neat o

I have a twin sister.

It’s 36 years later and she still thinks she is the boss. Even though she is the “younger” sister.
YUP. Still argue with my brother daily. :)

Shared hobby means shared collection for us. Is your sister a gamer?

Purple1308

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2018, 12:13:04 PM »
I wish more systems were designed on this base of FPGAs

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

TheClash603

« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2018, 12:59:07 PM »
I do random game night twice a month.  All my games are in a database, I hit the random button, and play whatever comes up.  If I have people over, we turn this into a scored competition.  Did you know Molly Hatchet performs the title song to NASCAR 98?  My friends and I do, because it was the final game of our random game night challenge last week.

If I had to get all my systems out of a box every time we played a new game, that would be awful.  Sure, most people don't do random game night challenges, but most people don't know how much fun it is either.

...plus, now I know I could kick all your asses in NASCAR 98.

Medic_wheat

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
You are a twin as well?

Neat o

I have a twin sister.

YUP. Still argue with my brother daily. :)

Shared hobby means shared collection for us. Is your sister a gamer?

No.

She use to hang with the NES through N64.

But these days she is a mother wife and shook librayan.

She use to do a web comic in be late 90s early 2000s all anime slash furry like.

Use to be into anime.

But these days she doesn’t keep up in any of that.

I bought her the entire Ranma 1/2 on burst for Christmas and her only comment was. Oh. I watch it on Hulu. Sigh