Tech and Homebrew > Console/Mobile Game Development

NES Maker

(1/2) > >>

Galad:
Check it out if you're into creating games with no programming.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1316851183/nesmaker-make-nes-games-no-coding-required

Flare65:
Looks, cool but I just don't have the time to make my own games, let alone play through my ever growing backlog of games...

KingDrool:
EDIT: Ah shit. Just saw this thread. Merge them, if you'd like.

Have you guys seen this? Here's a link to their recently successful Kickstarter campaign, and here's a link to their website.

--- Quote ---NESmaker is a software tool for creating brand new, hardware playable, cartridge based games for the Nintendo Entertainment System...without having to write a single line of code.

A few years ago, while developing our NES game engine in the archaic 6502 Assembly language, our team (made up of mostly non-programmers) realized that we needed a much more efficient method for rapid prototyping and testing.  Instead of digging into the assembly every time we needed to make changes, we conceptualized wysiwyg tools for common tasks that would output, reorganize, and manipulate the underlying code; developing screens, building animations, altering AI...things like that.  We recruited Josh Fallon, tool developer extraordinaire, to help realize these tools.

Before we knew it, we had inadvertently created NESmaker.

Currently, what can you do with NESmaker?
[ul][li]Design sprite graphics and color palettes that are automatically constrained to the NES limitations. [/li][li]Create assets with properties and behaviors to give developing for the NES an object-oriented feel, similar to modern tools such as GameMaker and Unity.[/li][li]Use a text editor to create text strings for NPCs or other narrative devices your game might have.[/li][li]Create *special screens* like start screens, end screens, menus, maps, and more.[/li][li]Customize AI[/li][li]Set initialization parameters (items obtained, player strength/defense,  starting screen, etc) for easy testing.[/li][li]Use the base engine to create adventure games, basic RPGs, basic platformers, basic brawlers, and several other types of games.[/li][li]Assemble with one click for testing in an emulator.[/li][li]Flash to cartridge in one click for play on actual hardware.[/li][/ul]
--- End quote ---

They have a bunch of videos on their YouTube page showing it in action.

What do you think? Who's gonna make one of these for PC Engine for me?

Punch:
I like that NES project but a PCE port would makes me kinda worried about people just giving up on the complexity of HuC in general, let alone asm. Not that I want elitism in homebrew games but I just don't want our homebrew scene to be more limited than it already is.

Lost Monkey:

--- Quote from: Punch on April 13, 2018, 07:17:16 AM ---I like that NES project but a PCE port would makes me kinda worried about people just giving up on the complexity of HuC in general, let alone asm. Not that I want elitism in homebrew games but I just don't want our homebrew scene to be more limited than it already is.

--- End quote ---

Might act as a gateway drug though... something like that happened with the Atari 2600 when Batari basic was released.   There was an avalanche of shit put out right away, but a few of the guys who started with Batari Basic ended up fighting through it and creating some good stuff... 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version