Author Topic: 'The Complete PC Engine Guide Book II' By Richard Gibbs - Interest Check:  (Read 2102 times)

seieienbu

Re: 'The Complete PC Engine Guide Book II' By Richard Gibbs - Interest Check:
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 12:20:43 PM »
Oh hey, the poll works again.  I can now safely click "Don't know."

Though quite rough around the edges, the original is pretty interesting (it's in the turbob archives).  Depending on price and quality of revisions, I'd be interested in buying an updated version, but only if Gibbs is involved and getting the lion's share of profits.

Yeah, the guy who did the original work definitely deserves to be paid for his trouble.  ...and likely deserves more than $1 per copy.

So japjac, is the original author involved?
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

sunteam_paul

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 05:54:05 AM »
I've been asked if I'd be willing to do the page layout for this project. Although I'm on board with the concept, I just don't think there is anywhere near the demand that would allow a professional print run in the quantities required at a fair cost. Although Gibbs' fanzine is well known in a small circle of UK people (not me, I never owned it), it's clear that the vast majority of PCE fans have little or no attachment to it, so an update wouldn't really have the resonance it needs.

It would have to be really in demand before I become part of it, especially when I have a billion other projects, including more of my own PCE books if I can ever get around to them.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

NightWolve

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2018, 07:50:48 AM »
He's hawking an updated book made from a 96 page fan magazine put out by Richard Gibbs in 1993.  It was filled with game reviews, tips and codes, and short blurbs on games, hardware, and accessories;'twas very much a fan production with hand lettering, fan art, and collage compositing (note the yellowed cellophane tape in the above scan) and printed via xerox copying.

Though quite rough around the edges, the original is pretty interesting (it's in the turbob archives).  Depending on price and quality of revisions, I'd be interested in buying an updated version, but only if Gibbs is involved and getting the lion's share of profits.

So Necro did part of your job for you, "JAPJAC", now you just need to put up some teaser layout, cover, guide sample images etc. like you almost did with your aborted thread to also help the viewer visualize what you're going for. Duh.

Also, it might help not to burn bridges early with a forum if you're hoping to separate us from our monies by having your account operate as a robotic spamathon for http://www.japjac.proboards.com/...

http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?action=profile;u=2440;area=showposts;start=30

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 11:20:51 AM »
Why doesn’t Fapslack ever made a normal post? Why is everything so fancy and hyperbolic?

The first, the only, official, complete, etc etc. It was ridiculous when he was obsessed with the CP Changer but now he’s hyping the idea of reprinting a commonly available one-man fanzine like it was a rocket to the f*cking moon or something.

Also, massive massive post editing and covering his old posts like a total fool with zero faith in his own writing but not seeming to care one bit about what anyone else says (going so far as to be the only member of his own forum about himself).

On one hand, obviously, I’m disgusted, but I also sort of feel bad because one day we’ll learn what his diagnosis is and then I’ll probably regret everything I just wrote.

seieienbu

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 07:46:46 AM »
On one hand, obviously, I’m disgusted, but I also sort of feel bad because one day we’ll learn what his diagnosis is and then I’ll probably regret everything I just wrote.

Yeah, that's the problem with calling somebody out on the internet.  If a guy's a bit weird he might actually have some real problems.  I did that to a fighting game guy in a facebook group and then felt like the biggest a$$hole after I actually met the guy.

NightWolve

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2018, 11:09:45 AM »
JAPJAC Self-Deletion... Good bye my PCE homie!

RIP to another member, we have lost another one of the greats to Seppuku, folks. :cry:

You big, rotten meanies, are you proud of yourselves ??? Well are ya ?? ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:51:35 AM by NightWolve »

seieienbu

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2018, 12:12:20 PM »
...a little bit, yeah.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »
I wanted so much more out of him.

sunteam_paul

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2018, 08:09:09 PM »
Bizarre.

In his recent emails to me he has been polite and totally coherent. His actions on the forum make me feel like there's some split personality thing going on here.
The PC Engine Software Bible
Quote from: Tatsujin
I just felt in a hole!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 03:32:39 AM »
LOL, rage quit.

Print is forever but only if it's in English.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Ex_Mosquito

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 05:50:20 PM »
Bizarre.

In his recent emails to me he has been polite and totally coherent. His actions on the forum make me feel like there's some split personality thing going on here.

Back a few years ago I used to converse with him through emails and on YouTube and he was always polite, and then something switches in his head and he turns nasty. Try Googling him, he has been banned from MANY forums for being rude. He was also banned from a Twitter for frequent bad behaviour., even goes as far as taking the piss out of someone’s mother who died of cancer. Forget about him, he’s an idiot with a huge superiority complex. He’s very strange. 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 07:09:35 AM »
Well jeez, I don’t know if I want the book now...

fraggore

I would love another copy of the guide book i had it back in the day and have no idea what i did with it,
the book was great and super useful at the time when buying games.
I always wanted a thing called tuna sashemie

"All your base are belong to us"

Vimtoman

I still have one original I bought from Richard in the 90's.

Raw and fun fanzine. Looking forward to the new one if it happens.

esteban

|    |