Author Topic: Reflashed Hueys?  (Read 4599 times)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Reflashed Hueys?
« on: March 10, 2019, 12:32:05 AM »
Huey shenanigans

What the hell is this shit?  Since it's possible to re-flash (or swap the rom chip), how long before someone is swapping the labels too?  Maybe the serial number things can save us from fakes, but it's getting scary.

Also, fuck hit-japan for selling these things at retarded prices and acting like they're legitimate developer hardware.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Black Tiger

Re: Reflashed Hueys?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 03:03:46 PM »
Yet even after all of the stories of shitty behaviour over the years, people still like to praise hitjapan.

Even if you think that anyone dumb enough to buy something like this deserves it, this asshole is still getting rich and destroying authentic HuCards.

And from now on collectards will be passing arounds hundreds of these "prototypes" and rare variants for as much as they flip each other brand new bootlegs.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Punch

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:44:20 PM »
As I was saying before, if this is really the chip portion of a HuCard hacked up to have a reprogrammable ROM in it, we're fucked since the only extra step needed to do "perfect" repros would be finding a way to silk screen the new HuCard art onto the plastic. We barely know what's going on with those, how long do you think it will take us to realize some HuCards that look absolutely 100% legitimate are bootlegs?

This isn't as simple as it looks on the surface, though. Some guys at NECstasy forum bought those and opened them and it seems that the black (PCB) portion of the hucards are original, so either Hit-Japan found a very competent way to wire an EEPROM die on top of the original ROM but covered by the glob tops, or this is some elaborate(ly stupid) scam (who wants a Darius Alpha chip on a shitty F1 Circus 91 yellowed hucard? doesn't make any sense).

Images courtesy french xenophobes:

Black Tiger

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 10:52:58 AM »
It shows how little effort he's putting into these fake protos that NEC Ave's Darius Alpha proto is not only on a plastic HuCard and not a dev pcb, but it also has a Nichibutsu release on the backside.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 01:24:09 PM »
Assuming he's swapping rom chips, the most exciting thing about this is the prospect of repairing all the dead Bonk's Revenges and other dead hueys, also assuming they're bad rom chips and not cracked pcbs or otherwise borked.

Lots of assumptions, but I can hope dammit!   :mrgreen:

Dicer

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 03:50:45 PM »
The things people will do for money, I mean hooking is one thing, but this...

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 09:10:37 PM »
I'm not gay, but $20 is $20.   :cook:

Dicer

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 12:35:22 AM »

Lips are lips, c'mom over... Lol ew

Punch

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 01:57:15 PM »

Lips are lips, c'mom over... Lol ew

geise

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 12:33:12 PM »
This is why I've stopped buying from hitjapan going on 12 years now. How do we know he's not getting these on the street and reselling them? Regardless he's selling them.

xelement5x

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 03:23:54 PM »
Those teardown pics are interesting. I wonder what it would look like going through an X-ray or something and if you could discern more about it. 

The concept of new mass produced hucards is really interesting though.  Given how they're put together if you could make a good enough fake the world would never realize unless they destroyed it to check (or did like a scan or something that could show the inside)
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

NotNightwolf

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 05:49:06 PM »
This is why I've stopped buying from hitjapan going on 12 years now. How do we know he's not getting these on the street and reselling them? Regardless he's selling them.

I haven't bought from HJ in quite awhile. I tried to buy a dirt cheap MSX game from them and they never shipped it. That was the last straw.

Lots of assholes on eBay. Coolstuffjp sucks too.

I know yamatoku shill bids, but sometimes they have decent bin prices. Depends on the item. You just have to add everything to your cart and "request a total" so you don't get dicked on shipping charges. Besides them I have had good experiences with japan4u and dora.

As for the OP, man this is nuts. HJ sucks.
Formerly Gypsy, hoping to get my old account back.

Punch

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 11:01:13 AM »
This is still the weirdest thing ever. I guess some mysteries aren't meant to be solved...

Trenton_net

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 10:24:46 AM »
That's the disappointing thing about PC Engine collecting these days (at least for me). Now if your looking for anything semi rare or uncommon, you have to carefully wade through all the high quality fakes that are appearing. I'd much rather deal with friendly collectors on forums, rather than re-sellers on ebay. Everyone gets deals, all the money stays in the community, you know items from trustworthy people are legit, and you know the games will be thoroughly enjoyed!

Punch

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 11:50:32 AM »
That's not high quality by any means though... no pirate hueys that can't be distinguishable from real ones yet.