Author Topic: Untitled Racing Game - Road rendering finally done!  (Read 1994 times)

Punch

Untitled Racing Game - Road rendering finally done!
« on: March 02, 2019, 09:26:34 PM »
I'm planning to do a simple, Pole Position style game as a tech demo, then I'm planning to expand a lot of the game's engine, rendering and content for the "main event": a motorcycle racing game. Don't want to reveal too many details about it though!

The latest milestone on it was the completion of the basic road rendering code and tools -- all that is left now is a sprite manager that can position objects on the track. After that's done, work on the general game logic will be done. Hopefully I can finish this "simple" base racing game soon.

Here's a video on how the game's looking right now (mind you, the palette and graphics are all temporary, attention's being given to other less superficial parts of the game right now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCyuAy8aKJA

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Untitled Racing Game - Road rendering finally done!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 11:58:57 PM »
That's looking nice, very smooth and bendy corners.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Punch

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 05:38:22 PM »
That's looking nice, very smooth and bendy corners.

Thanks! It does look pretty but there's room for improvement to make the bends more "realistic" (aka obeying the 3D projection).

So, I was dicking around EX_GETFNT and it was an overall waste of time. This has to be the most annoying font function in history, why doesn't the System Card give you proper VRAM formatted tiles? Not to mention the Shift-JIS (more like JIZZ am I rite) which I thought was the JIS X 0208 Level 1 Kanji table which not only gave me a headache until I figured it out, but also meant that I'd either have to set my text editor to Shift-JIS or convert it in real time in the PCE, which are equally annoying.

All this experimentation lead to absolutely nothing of value, but at least this motivated me to work on the "bootloader" (loading something to check the System Card version and showing error screens, THEN loading the game from CD if it's all OK, instead of simply loading with no checks). Since it's its own program I get to also stuff debug code in it (like crash handlers, debug printouts on screen and such). Basically it stays resident in bank $87 (the original IFU ram, last 8kb) and copies the program to any RAM bank I want (Syscard 3's banks $68~7F and the original 64kb). If I ever need to load another part of the program I can just re-map bank $7f and call it again.

Of course the "SUPER System Card required" screen is nothing fancy yet but as I said, I can do whatever I want here, even write another game lol.

US SUPER System Card inserted (note how it usually says 3.0 on the BIOS screen, but reports internally version 3.1 with EX_GETVER):

System Card 1.0 inserted (borrowed from Tatsujin's System Card throne):

Dicer

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:09:42 PM »
I like the colors...keep em.

or at least make it an option.

gex

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 10:10:42 PM »
The volcanos in the background remind me of Bonks Adventure  :bonkthis: :bonkthis: :bonkthis:

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2019, 10:11:54 PM »
Neat syscard screens.  :mrgreen:

..... even write another game lol.

Doooo eeeeeet!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Punch

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 11:42:25 PM »

The black and red road? Are you trying to have a seizure on purpose? :lol:

Anyway... I got to give a huge thank you to Arkhan, since I went from being totally lost in the art department to having an awesome art asset pipeline. Real cool stuff! I'm basically working with Tiled now, it's pretty damn flexible and Arkhan's conversor makes the map to bat conversion process pretty much effortless. His art tool + Tiled really is that awesome.

So, thanks to Ark now the in-game graphics have proper, non-makeshift setup and correct palettes. I was also working on my build + link process so most of the work done was behind the scenes. Here's a video of how the game currently looks right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vTJiyj1cI

The System Card error shows up because I have code to skip the system card version check with a button press during boot.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:07:44 PM »

The black and red road? Are you trying to have a seizure on purpose? :lol:

Anyway... I got to give a huge thank you to Arkhan, since I went from being totally lost in the art department to having an awesome art asset pipeline. Real cool stuff! I'm basically working with Tiled now, it's pretty damn flexible and Arkhan's conversor makes the map to bat conversion process pretty much effortless. His art tool + Tiled really is that awesome.

So, thanks to Ark now the in-game graphics have proper, non-makeshift setup and correct palettes. I was also working on my build + link process so most of the work done was behind the scenes. Here's a video of how the game currently looks right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2vTJiyj1cI

The System Card error shows up because I have code to skip the system card version check with a button press during boot.

Looks amaze!  Victoly Road II!  ;)