Author Topic: PaRappa the Rapper HuCard Edition  (Read 1363 times)

PC Engine Developer

PaRappa the Rapper HuCard Edition
« on: January 22, 2020, 01:27:11 PM »
Hi,

I just joined a few days ago and I am starting to learn about the system. Arkhan on Discord suggested I create PaRappa the Rapper for HuCard. He had this to say:

Arkhan Today at 1:10 PM
oldman was going to do something like this awhile ago because he figured out CD+G shit for PCE lol

Heroes & Shadows Today at 1:11 PM
What does everyone else think? Pappa the Rapper HuCard Edition?
What happed to oldman?

Arkhan Today at 1:14 PM
hes old
and has other stuff to do
and doenst care enough to fuck with it
lol

Heroes & ShadowsToday at 1:14 PM
So he left the scene?

Arkhan Today at 1:15 PM
he comes and goes.  but he and i have been less active over the las couple of years
So what does everyone think? Let me know your thoughts.  O0

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
Re: PaRappa the Rapper HuCard Edition
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 01:32:19 PM »
You left out
KICK PUNCH CHOP I GOT THE FUNKY FLOW M I X THE FLOUR INTO THE BOWL
and yeah OldMan had jokingly-ish said he'd like to do karaoke or CD+G rhythm game stuff and Parappa came up, but that was awhileeeee ago, and I don't think he really has any intention of digging that up and running with it.
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 02:19:42 PM »
I'd support any homebrew, but I don't much care for any rhythm games and I think hucards are a bad choice compared to cheap and simple CDs.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

PC Engine Developer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 02:31:44 PM »
For those who are wondering what game we're talking about, it's this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJNXz-wl_7o&feature=youtu.be&t=39

I'd support any homebrew, but I don't much care for any rhythm games and I think hucards are a bad choice compared to cheap and simple CDs.
I would make a CD-ROM2 game, but I just joined a day ago, so I really want to start simple. How difficult is it to make a CD-ROM2/Super CD/Arcade CD game?

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 02:50:00 PM »

I would make a CD-ROM2 game, but I just joined a day ago, so I really want to start simple. How difficult is it to make a CD-ROM2/Super CD/Arcade CD game?

Easier than a HuCard game kind of, because you have way more storage and don't have to worry about that as much. lol
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
In the rain or in the snow, I fully support your funky flow!

:boom:

PC Engine Developer

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2020, 06:03:24 PM »

Easier than a HuCard game kind of, because you have way more storage and don't have to worry about that as much. lol
Wouldn't you have to learn how to program for the CD-ROM2 as well as the system itself? It's not like you have premade subroutines and could just do:
Code: [Select]
    jsr ReadGfxDisk
    jsr ShowGfxDisk
    jsr ReadPCMDisk
    jsr PlayPCMDisk
    etc...
You would have to learn how stuff works and write the subroutines myself/yourself.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 06:57:08 PM »
I'm not a programmer (I'm lucky if can get my microwave to stop blinking 12:00), but I doubt CDs are much more difficult to program.  There's maybe a dozen 'full' homebrew games released so far, and 3/4 are CDs; there's also several smaller demos and utilities that were released as ISOs or both ROMs and ISOs.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

PC Engine Developer

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 09:18:39 PM »
I'm not a programmer (I'm lucky if can get my microwave to stop blinking 12:00), but I doubt CDs are much more difficult to program.  There's maybe a dozen 'full' homebrew games released so far, and 3/4 are CDs; there's also several smaller demos and utilities that were released as ISOs or both ROMs and ISOs.
Anything with commented source code or at least a library with premade subroutines for the CD-ROM2?

turboxray

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 10:49:09 PM »

Wouldn't you have to learn how to program for the CD-ROM2 as well as the system itself? It's not like you have premade subroutines and could just do:
Code: [Select]
    jsr ReadGfxDisk
    jsr ShowGfxDisk
    jsr ReadPCMDisk
    jsr PlayPCMDisk
    etc...
You would have to learn how stuff works and write the subroutines myself/yourself.
There's a bios rom with those sorts of routines, so it's close to as simple as that haha. But yeah, you need to know how the base system works before attempting CD stuff.