Author Topic: In need of Turbo Duo replacement CD Window  (Read 905 times)

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
In need of Turbo Duo replacement CD Window
« on: November 01, 2019, 11:58:15 PM »
Hello all. I am new to this forum and am a proud owner of a Turbo Duo since 1992. My Duo has lost its CD cover window over the years (yes, the thin clear plastic piece) and it drives my O.C.D. crazy. Does anyone have a spare to sell me, or can someone 3D print one in clear plastic and sand it to a flawless shine like the original? I would be so grateful if anyone can help me out. Thanks everyone!

Tony

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: In need of Turbo Duo replacement CD Window
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 12:20:52 AM »
Welcome aboard!  Hopefully Dr Keith has some spare parts around.   :mrgreen:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 05:14:30 AM »
Hi Tony,
if you can't get your hands on the original window, a simple strip of clear acrylic glued to the back of the lid will do the job of keeping dust out just as well. Don't let any kind of self imposed compulsion take over your mind and actions, lol.

They tried to make me do a recap
I said no, no, no

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »
Hi Tony,
if you can't get your hands on the original window, a simple strip of clear acrylic glued to the back of the lid will do the job of keeping dust out just as well. Don't let any kind of self imposed compulsion take over your mind and actions, lol.

That's a cool idea. I'll see if I can find myself a sheet of acrylic. Knowing me, I will forget as soon as I log off. Haha
And you're right, I am chock full of self-imposed compulsions. That's why God made antidepressants.  :D

BTW, I love the Tamiya Clod Buster. I have a few myself. One was even showcased in a radio control magazine.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 01:43:12 PM by AkumajoTonyX »

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 03:09:41 PM »
Sorry, I don't have any extras of these. People keep loosing them.  If one is needed the only option I can think of is to get a cheap piece of plexiglass from a hardware store and cut it to shape. I've done this before. Too difficult to cut exactly to fit into the slot. Easier to cut as a larger rectangle and just epoxy from underneath.

A quick solution that looks good=Clear tape from the underside.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 04:22:44 PM »
Hey Tony, if you've got some pics of your Clod(s), would you mind sharing them with us?

Regarding the acrylic or plexiglass, I'd follow Keith's advice and use epoxy glue to fix it. If you use CA glue, keep in mind that it has a nasty tendency to cloud the clear surface while curing. If you can find thin sheets of clear acrylic (e.g. in hobby stores, used for the window detailing of model train houses), you can use these as well - cut them to size using a hobby knife and glue them in place using plastic cement (Tamiya, etc.) also found in hobby stores.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 04:32:52 PM by ClodBuster »

I said no, no, no

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 08:19:59 PM »
Sorry, I don't have any extras of these. People keep loosing them.  If one is needed the only option I can think of is to get a cheap piece of plexiglass from a hardware store and cut it to shape. I've done this before. Too difficult to cut exactly to fit into the slot. Easier to cut as a larger rectangle and just epoxy from underneath.

A quick solution that looks good=Clear tape from the underside.

Okay thank you for the response. Yeah, seems like that may be the only solution gosh darnit.
 :-({|=

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 09:05:53 PM »
Hey Tony, if you've got some pics of your Clod(s), would you mind sharing them with us?

Hey, no problem! I have been working on Clods for a while. I never had the chance to get one as a kid, but I have absolutely crossed that off of my bucket list. I also have a couple Monster Beetles.

ClodBuster

• A real powerhouse!
    • Cumonreprocarts.com
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 03:44:26 PM »
Now that's a bunch of awesome Clods you got there. :shock: :mrgreen:

I said no, no, no

Keith Courage

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 08:12:00 PM »
I just remembered another option that works really well and is easier than cutting out a piece of plexiglass.

Clear drying epoxy.

Put a piece of black electrical tape underneath the slot. Then from up above fill in the entire slot with clear epoxy. I prefer JB weld brand. Once dry the electrical tape should just peal right off. I did this once and it looked great afterwards. Use a tooth pick to mix and then let it drip off of the tooth pick into the slot that way.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50112-Clear-0-85/dp/B009EU5ZM0/ref=asc_df_B009EU5ZM0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=255405115193&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18310507778898252243&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016200&hvtargid=pla-474011695861&psc=1

I buy it at Menards
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:17:17 PM by Keith Courage »

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 11:57:12 PM »
Now that's a bunch of awesome Clods you got there. :shock: :mrgreen:

Thank you, sir!!

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 11:59:31 PM »
I just remembered another option that works really well and is easier than cutting out a piece of plexiglass.

Clear drying epoxy.

Put a piece of black electrical tape underneath the slot. Then from up above fill in the entire slot with clear epoxy. I prefer JB weld brand. Once dry the electrical tape should just peal right off. I did this once and it looked great afterwards. Use a tooth pick to mix and then let it drip off of the tooth pick into the slot that way.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-50112-Clear-0-85/dp/B009EU5ZM0/ref=asc_df_B009EU5ZM0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=255405115193&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18310507778898252243&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9016200&hvtargid=pla-474011695861&psc=1

I buy it at Menards

Now that might be the best way. How would I maintain the proper depth so as to not overflow the cavity, thus creating a run of epoxy on the cover?

Keith Courage

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 10:34:45 PM »
Take off the CD lid and rest it on something so the slotted section of the CD lid is level. Then just make sure not to overfill

AkumajoTonyX

• "Into The Unknown!"
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 12:57:10 PM »
Take off the CD lid and rest it on something so the slotted section of the CD lid is level. Then just make sure not to overfill

Okay thanks. I may give it a go this weekend.
Cheers