Author Topic: Turboduo CD Laser Not Getting Power  (Read 469 times)

lordofwar

Turboduo CD Laser Not Getting Power
« on: December 19, 2019, 11:40:22 AM »
Hello. Here are the facts.
1) Bought untouched turbo duo, everything worked.
2) Recapped everything, everything still worked.
3) Worked on board, cleaning up leaked fluid and cleaned a few traces that had damage, but nothing drastic and everything worked after the recap so traces were still functional up to this point.

Now the cd'd laser will not function at all. The motor jerks when I press run on the controller, it successfully makes contact with the switch on the laser mechanism, but the laser isn't getting power, no doubt about it. I checked the laser on another turboduo console and the drive spins instantly, so the unit itself isn't the problem.

I have checked a lot trying to figure out why, with no success. Where should I look? Can someone identify all caps that power the laser unit? Can anyone tell me what pin on the board provides power for the laser itself?

I checked the voltage regulators, both output solid 5v. I know the first thing I would say to someone typing this would be to double check the traces that were worked on, since that's when the drive stopped working. Trust me, I've checked continuity on the 3 or so spots I touched up, and IMO they just aren't the issue. But that's why I would like to know exactly what caps supply power to the laser itself, so I can focus my attention on those traces all the way to the voltage regulator. Also which voltage regulator supplies power to the laser unit?

Any direction is very appreciated. Thanks!

Keith Courage

Re: Turboduo CD Laser Not Getting Power
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 09:02:27 PM »
Check the via holes for the caps that all sit just below the CD drive on the motherboard. Probably a bad connection through one of them.