Author Topic: Anyone else get a Wii/Virtual Console woes!  (Read 1716 times)

esteban

Re: Anyone else get a Wii/Virtual Console woes!
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2006, 05:14:38 PM »
"Pcenginefx Demonstration Video: Wii Shop" (7m51s)

1. When you are initially browsing games (for purchase), there is an option for "More Details". What happens when you select "More Details" for Bomberman '93 and Bon's Adventure? Is there a brief description and screenshots?

2. I noticed that games take up space (measured in "blocks"). How many old school games (i.e. 4-16 Mb) can you have at one time?

3. What happens when you run out of space and are forced to delete games you have purchased? Hopefully, Nintendo servers keep a record of your purchases so that you can retrieve games at your convenience.

4. Tell Hudson to change the spacing in "Turbo Grafx16" to "TurboGrafx 16" or, even better, "TurboGrafx-16" ! :)

Thanks for making the video!
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 05:20:46 PM »

1. When you are initially browsing games (for purchase), there is an option for "More Details". What happens when you select "More Details" for Bomberman '93 and Bon's Adventure? Is there a brief description and screenshots?
Yes, clicking more details give a neat description for the game along with a couple small screenshots. I dig it.

2. I noticed that games take up space (measured in "blocks"). How many old school games (i.e. 4-16 Mb) can you have at one time?
Not too sure myself. I recall there being 3 to 4 pages worth of channels on the menu, each page having around 15 channels. Not sure what happens if you fill them all up, maybe it creates more?

3. What happens when you run out of space and are forced to delete games you have purchased? Hopefully, Nintendo servers keep a record of your purchases so that you can retrieve games at your convenience.
From reading the shopping guide on the Wii Shopping Channel, it says you can transfer your Virtual Console games to SD cards. Your Wii will know which VC games you have bought, so if you lost your file, you can download it again.

4. Tell Hudson to change the spacing in "Turbo Grafx16" to "TurboGrafx 16" or, even better, "TurboGrafx-16" ! :)
Agreed, though I like the style they went with in the logo.

Thanks for making the video!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 05:22:59 PM by Keranu »
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Joe Redifer

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 05:51:47 PM »
The Mario Paint-ish music while you download is great.  I will download every game just because of that.  Looks to work pretty well, but do the VC games run in 240p like the original consoles do, or does the Wii "upscale" them to 480i?  I use the term "upscale" very loosely as I think those older games look far better in their native resolution than they do interlaced.

Keranu

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2006, 07:27:44 PM »
Yes! I love the music that plays in all of the Wii Channels, especially the shopping one! I swear the music and menus are lure people to buy VC games. :D
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

KingDrool

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2006, 05:36:25 AM »
Is anyone else finding the Turbo emulator a little...off?  The games play pretty well, but I'm noticing quite a bit of flicker and a few glitches in Bonk's Adventure.  I read an article on 1up.com and they mentioned that they were having the same problems.

Beyond that, it's great that millions of people are going to get to play Bonk for the first time.  In fact, I'm guessing that more people will be exposed to the TurboGrafx now than back when it was released.  Great news!
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

guyjin

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 09:52:38 AM »
Has anyone tried to play Bomberman '93 with 5 players? I'm hoping you can use 4 wiimotes+1 GC controller. or maybe even 4 wiimotes and a classic controller.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2006, 09:54:19 AM »
The Classic Controller takes over a Wiimote.  I have no idea why.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2006, 03:25:36 PM »
not sure if any Wii owners here have experienced this or not, but I had to actually get a NEW nintendo Wii.

The very first night I brought it home, I tried connecting it to the 'net.  and had error after error.  Tried many different procedures to either fix my router, or the Wii.  And after about a day of trying different things, I finally called the BIG N.

They told me that I had to send in my Wii, and get it fixed.  I gave them my Credit card #, and they overnighted me a new Wii, and now I got to send them the busted one within 21 days to assure that my card won't get charged.

All in all, a good experience-  The Nintendo reps did a very good job at fixing this, and from the 'rumors' on the BIG N's forums there were around 5,000 deffective Wii's.  They really busted their asses to fix this, and I am glad!

From what I've heard, theres a bunch of Wii's that went out without the proper firmware upgrade.  They were initially supposed to ship with Start up disks instead of Wii Sports, they actually had the Start up disks printed in the contents section of the Wii boxes, but put stickers on them.  So if by chance you got a Wii and have stickers on your Wii Box AND still haven't gone online with it yet- I would look into that ASAP.

TurboSage

Black Tiger

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2006, 01:51:32 PM »
The Mario Paint-ish music while you download is great.  I will download every game just because of that.  Looks to work pretty well, but do the VC games run in 240p like the original consoles do, or does the Wii "upscale" them to 480i?  I use the term "upscale" very loosely as I think those older games look far better in their native resolution than they do interlaced.

The Wii is supposed to render all the games in 480p without filtering. From what I've read, the overall emulation results vary between classic consoles and it sounds like the Turbo emu is bunk so far.

Hopefully it'll get fixed by the time I can get a Wii. If it isn't, I'll probably hold off from buying one. If it somehow never gets perfected, I may not buy a Wii to play Turbo games, which could mean that I'll end up waiting a long time before buying the system.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

esteban

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2006, 05:55:21 PM »
Is anyone else finding the Turbo emulator a little...off?  The games play pretty well, but I'm noticing quite a bit of flicker and a few glitches in Bonk's Adventure.  I read an article on 1up.com and they mentioned that they were having the same problems.

Beyond that, it's great that millions of people are going to get to play Bonk for the first time.  In fact, I'm guessing that more people will be exposed to the TurboGrafx now than back when it was released.  Great news!
Say it ain't so! Oh well, here's hoping they strive for high standards. I hope Nintendo (or Hudson) reveals how many folks download the TG-16 games...

I agree that TG-16's greatest mainstream exposure, to date, is potentially via the Wii (computer emulation doesn't really qualify as "mainstream", IMO).

Anyway, since I have a Xavix, there's no need for me to rush out and get a Wii, anyway :).
  |    | 

GUTS

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 07:34:41 AM »
Tiger why would you buy a Wii to play Turbo games anyway?  Its not like Nintendo is ever going to get any of the expensive games or imports on there, you know they're going to half-ass it, especially going by how shitty of a job they've done so far.  I'd be surprised if they even get any of the Turbo games on there that cost over $10, and I'll eat my hat if they ever put any imports on there.

Keranu

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 10:01:47 AM »
Tiger why would you buy a Wii to play Turbo games anyway?  Its not like Nintendo is ever going to get any of the expensive games or imports on there, you know they're going to half-ass it, especially going by how shitty of a job they've done so far.  I'd be surprised if they even get any of the Turbo games on there that cost over $10, and I'll eat my hat if they ever put any imports on there.
Well considering Black_Tiger has freaking tattoos of Turbo games on his body and is a long time Turbo freakazoid fan, I can't see why Black_Tiger would ever pass the novelty of downloading Turbo games on other consoles. Just because you're not into it (and myself) doesn't mean everyone isn't.

Black Tiger

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 12:26:07 PM »

Why would I blow good money on a PC Engine shaped like a space ship when I already have a dozen other PCE systems that play HuCards perfectly fine?  :)
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

GUTS

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2006, 08:03:55 AM »
I forgot about the tattoos.  I have no further questions.

Keranu

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2006, 01:58:06 PM »
I forgot about the tattoos.  I have no further questions.
:mrgreen: