Author Topic: Duo-R broken plastic drive mount legs  (Read 608 times)

Gredler

Duo-R broken plastic drive mount legs
« on: December 27, 2019, 03:48:46 PM »
Two of the three legs that my drive is mounted with on my Duo-R were broken, I noticed when I opened it up to fix the PSU port which was very unreliable.

Duo-R: broken optical drive mount legs
imgur.com/a/ijmKKHD

It looks like they were broken before and epoxied on, or super glue?

I have some locktite super glue gel on hand, would that be ok you think?

Is that underkill, or is epoxy overkill?

Keith Courage

Re: Duo-R broken plastic drive mount legs
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 04:50:00 AM »
Best option is to drill a small hole where the poles used to be. Then put a screw through it from the underside of the console. I do this all the time. Much more sturdy compared to the plastic poles.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:06:30 PM by Keith Courage »

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:50:10 PM »
Just had to do this last night for a duo-r. So here is a pic.

Gredler

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 12:16:21 PM »
Dang yeah that's the solution Keith, thank you! The super glue seems to be holding half decently for now but the system seems to need more work done, so I am going to have to open it again this year and I will probably do this screw technique at that time. Do you drill lead holes? Are those fairly see screws? I will inevitably be at home depot or lowes at one point this year so I can pick some up then :) thanks again for the help!

Keith Courage

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 12:05:02 AM »
Yeah, I just drill a small hole from the top down. use a drill bight maybe only 50% the size of the screw being used so that way the screw is tight. Might want to remove the DUO-R board first just in case so you don't slip and hit the motherboard. Also, sometimes depending on the screw hole, the screws can go through at a slight angle. If the screw is not straight because of this you can simply use a pair of pliers to bend it straight after it is installed. I just measured and my screws are size 4 with 3/4" length wood screws. I just get mine at Menards or home depot. I'm sure you can use smaller screws but these common wood screws sizes are cheap. Here they are at home depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-x-3-4-in-Phillips-Flat-Head-Zinc-Plated-Wood-Screw-12-Pack-806891/204283337
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 04:09:23 PM by Keith Courage »