Author Topic: PC Engine GT - Removing the TV Tuner Screw Hole?  (Read 1400 times)

MasterofBiscuits

PC Engine GT - Removing the TV Tuner Screw Hole?
« on: July 24, 2020, 07:11:02 AM »
Has anyone managed to remove the brass screw hole that the TV Tuner screws into? Any advice on how to remove it?

MasterofBiscuits

Re: PC Engine GT - Removing the TV Tuner Screw Hole?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 04:32:30 PM »
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would reply with useful info as I finally decided to tackle this annoying little screw hole - it's gone:

As you can see from the pic, it's covered in serrations which grip it in place and it's impossible to remove without cutting it out. I did it by cutting away completely the accessible plastic surrounding it inside the shell with a dremel. Once you get to that stage, switch to a fine engraving/ routing bit and cut through the case around the screw hole until you reach the outside - the aim is to make a tiny space for the metal piece to be levered out. Once I did that, I removed the screw from a TV Tuner, screwed it in and used it to lever the metal piece back and forward while pulling until it popped out. There was surprisingly little damage on the outside and it's easily covered with a din socket, which fits perfectly in the space. :)

I now have a TV out socket and controller socket without having to make extra cuts to the shell

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 04:42:56 PM by MasterofBiscuits »

Keith Courage

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 09:37:49 PM »
Now that's a cool idea.

Makes me want to do one with an S-video port in there now.

bdoi

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 01:24:55 AM »
Good job!
Is your  gt nodded with  a composite screen or rgb?

MasterofBiscuits

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 04:20:35 AM »
Good job!
Is your  gt nodded with  a composite screen or rgb?

It's an RGB screen, and the amp drives both the internal screen and the external display - susprisingly it can do both at the same time which is nice. There is a switch that powers the internal screen off and disables the screen power-save function when you're using a TV.

Some more pics:

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 04:22:46 AM by MasterofBiscuits »

bdoi

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 06:36:08 AM »
Really nice,  where did you buy your rgb amp board?

MasterofBiscuits

bdoi

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2021, 03:39:27 AM »
Rgb amp isn't necessary if you only do the rgb lcd screen mod, right ?

MasterofBiscuits

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2021, 05:13:01 PM »
Not necessary, but recommended. Some people just wire them directly to the original screen connector and bridge one of the transistors, but in my experience the picture is better when properly amped. Also, if you do that with one of these RDGDRVs that has the onscreen menu, the menu will look crappy without an RGB amp.

hard_gb

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2023, 02:03:05 PM »

It's an RGB screen, and the amp drives both the internal screen and the external display - susprisingly it can do both at the same time which is nice. There is a switch that powers the internal screen off and disables the screen power-save function when you're using a TV.

Some more pics:

I'm sorry it's "waking up" however, I've been very interested in doing the same on my GT.
I need to understand some points to be able to do the same.

1º You said that you put a switch to disable the energy saving function of the screen when you are using a TV.
Is this the only way to do this or if I use a multitap does it solve this problem?

2º I saw a blue PCB, which resembles a voltage regulator. What is her role?

3º If I'm not going to replace the original screen of my Pc Engine GT, will I still need the "RGB - PC Engine THS7374 Amp" to be able to connect it to my TV?

Thank you very much. I'm very interested in this mod. :geni:

MasterofBiscuits

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 04:33:57 AM »

Some more pics:

I'm sorry it's "waking up" however, I've been very interested in doing the same on my GT.
I need to understand some points to be able to do the same.

1º You said that you put a switch to disable the energy saving function of the screen when you are using a TV.
Is this the only way to do this or if I use a multitap does it solve this problem?

2º I saw a blue PCB, which resembles a voltage regulator. What is her role?

3º If I'm not going to replace the original screen of my Pc Engine GT, will I still need the "RGB - PC Engine THS7374 Amp" to be able to connect it to my TV?

Thank you very much. I'm very interested in this mod. :geni:

1. You don't need to use a switch, you can just bridge 2 pins on the controller connector board which will make the screen saver function stay off permanently. I can't remember the pin you need to ground off the top of my head, but it shouldn't be difficult to find either by probing with a multimeter or googling it. A multitap won't do anything AFAIK.
2. The blue PCB is the battery charger board/ boost convert board for the battery mod, you can ignore this.
3. Yes you will, this is what takes the output signal from the PCE and converts it to something your TV can display. Another option would be a composite mod, but I wouldn't recommend this as it is a more difficult and produces a worse picture.