Author Topic: Game of the Month: August 2020 - Parasol Stars  (Read 437 times)

geise

Game of the Month: August 2020 - Parasol Stars
« on: August 04, 2020, 11:33:57 PM »
PARASOL STARS

Sorry for being late this month. I had another game in mind but since I'm fairly late I am going to do a quick pickup and play game that I love dearly. I have played this game so much on so many platforms. It's also a game I have been wanting to do some high score runs on. So I will be making a score table and then probably copy (any) posts here into the high score thread later. So, all you 5 lurkers that are here come out and post a score. It's a fantastic game! Have fun!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: August 2020 - Parasol Stars
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 10:36:59 AM »
Such a great game.  Super fun, cute, colorful, lots of variety in scenery and enemies, and having the two-player option is just icing on the cake.

I can't beat it without continues, sadly.  So far this month, the furthest I've gotten to is 3-6.

Edit:  I did better tonight and got to 5-3.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:32:54 PM by Necromancer »
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 04:57:31 PM »
Another great pic!

I haven't been able to play this months pick recently, since I also picked up a lot of PCE games from YAJ this week and been trying those out but I've have played a lot of Parasol in my time. Back in the 90's, I thought this game would have been too cute and "kiddie" so I didn't pick it up until the late(I think I got it on a trade through the old TG-16 list-serv). My earlier thoughts must have been influenced by Segas' edgy marketing, but I have grow'd up and now embrace the cute games. This game has to be close a, if not, top 5 game for me. Scoring all the bonuses is addictive. Play mechanics work great. No problem with the tunes. Has a good challenge and ramps up nice a slow so you feel like your accomplishing something.

Looking forward to getting a few games in before months end!
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

geise

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 12:08:40 AM »
I can get to 4-2 without continues. Haven't played it as much as I've wanted too. It's been a demanding month as usual for me and I've been bad spending some small time playing on my new Supergun or Mario Odyssey with the kiddo. I'll do some plays this weekend. I need a Turbo fix.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 02:02:23 PM »
The 5th world is as good as I've been able to do on one credit, though I did manage to get the 99 continue necklace and the bad ending recently.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 11:52:05 AM »
I normally play without continuing but on a recent run, I racked up a lot of continues (but not the 99 necklace Necro mentioned) so I decided to keep on credit feeding after stage 5. Managed to get to world 8 (? the planet you start flying from to the first world with an SOS) but it quickly handed my ass. I still love the game, but might be too much of a challenge for me to clear.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"