Author Topic: External Controller Port Works!  (Read 245 times)

blazingtaserface

External Controller Port Works!
« on: June 13, 2023, 09:28:03 AM »
https://imgur.com/a/b5I1rbG

Got the board and port from Tawy a while back, but just got around to installing it. Works great, tested with 2 button and 6 button controllers, no issues.

Not sure if there's already an install guide somewhere, but figured I'd post a rough outline of what I did just in case.

Process went something like this:

1) Remove old controller board, remove TV tuner jack (just squeeze prongs from inside with pliers)
2) Remove main board to help in installing controller port (this is mostly because you need to solder the two anchor points and it's hard to get in there with a soldering iron without removing the board)
3) Fit controller port, install retention bracket, center the port, and super glue external ring on
4) After glue is dry, solder two anchor points to retention bracket (sorry, forgot to get a photo of this, but it's pretty self-explanatory once you're looking at it)
5) Put main board back in
6) File or sand out headphone jack com port jack opening to make room for larger jack on new board (suppose you could transfer your old jack if you wanted instead)
7) Solder headphone jack com jack to controller board (it comes mostly unsoldered, which would make it easier if you wanted to move over your old jack)
8) Put new controller board in, make sure buttons are in the right place, screw down
9) Put unit back together, get excited! (when reassembling, you may notice a plastic piece on the housing hits the controller port retention bracket--I just clipped it off with cutters)
10) Realize you forgot to put the power switch in, take everything back apart to fix that, then back together again.
11) Done!

Also, does anyone know the threading of the TV tuner mounting screw hole? Was thinking of finding a small screw/bolt to go in it.

Edit: Apparently what I called the headphone jack is not a headphone jack (sorry, never used headphones with it), but some com port.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 09:50:12 AM by blazingtaserface »

tawy

Re: External Controller Port Works!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 07:27:27 AM »
Perfect :)
Removing the old com link connector to transplant it to the board is a better solution... this is why i solder only 1 point :-/
Since this connector is only here to replace the old one and have no function. maybe i could replace it by another with a thinner one... i have to think about it for the next revision...

blazingtaserface

Re: External Controller Port Works!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 10:43:46 AM »
Perfect :)
Removing the old com link connector to transplant it to the board is a better solution... this is why i solder only 1 point :-/
Since this connector is only here to replace the old one and have no function. maybe i could replace it by another with a thinner one... i have to think about it for the next revision...

Thanks! Main reason I kept the new port is I had never used or tested the old one, so no idea if it functioned right. It looked kinda rough, so figured best to just use the new one.

Also, I dropped you a note on Paypal about getting another board w/ cont port for my other unit.

Thanks again, works great.