Author Topic: Game of the Month: September 2020 - Final Blaster  (Read 568 times)

geise

Game of the Month: September 2020 - Final Blaster
« on: September 06, 2020, 06:11:11 PM »
Final Blaster

First off, sorry this is way late for this month. It's been crazy as usual. I had another game I initially wanted to do for this month but it will wait till next month. Apologies.  So here is one I haven't really given much time at all. Final Blaster! I used to give this a go in the arcades back in the day. I rarely play this on HuCard for whatever reason. It's actually a decent game. It's one I don't do autofire since you can charge like in R-Type. This isn't a bad port at all. Just a tad slow. However this is one I have never really bothered trying to 1CC or even just finish. So, I will try to 1CC it this month. I hope the 2 of you have fun at least. Lol!

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
Re: Game of the Month: September 2020 - Final Blaster
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 08:03:00 AM »
I do not recall every giving this title a good go. I look forward to trying my hand at it this month. I do not own it, so flashcard we'll be put to use. I loaded it last night and had an a few plays, seems like a tough one but it might just be memorization. Tunes are definitely classic Turbo sounds.

Google tells me it's the 3rd part of the Bosconian series (I didn't even know there was a series) but those rotating monoliths on stage 1 scream Xevious, so maybe it's more of a crossover. Regardless, it'll be fun to put some time into it.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 02:03:03 PM »
Like majors, I've not put a ton of time into this one yet.  It'll be cool to dive in and see how far I can get.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

roflmao

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 12:26:21 AM »
This is one I picked up ages ago and just couldn't get used to how the screen scrolled. I eventually sold it, and now I kind of regret it. I'll give it another go on the Everdrive this month.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 09:19:05 AM »
... just couldn't get used to how the screen scrolled.
   Recently a buddy suggested was to simulate a tate screen...but this was never an arcade game, so that explanation seems kinda silly to me. I have been playing and got to stage 5 for the first time yesterday.

Since I haven't looked up the manual, I'm still a little confused with the different levels shown between stages. I figure shooting the little enemies that pop in after the alert chime must be important. I also haven't wrapped my mind around the power up system, it does not seem as cut and dry as other shooters. I just keep mixing it up until I get missiles.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

geise

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »
What game was I playing in the arcade then back in the day? I swear it was thins game. Lol. Damn.  I might be thinking of Blast Off.  Regardless I gave this a go today. only got to stage 3 on one credit. I don't remember how you get to the other squares for the next stage? Is it based off lives?

That Guy from Faxanadu

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 08:06:01 AM »
Good to have an excuse to play Final Blaster again! This was one of the first games I bought for my PC Engine, and I like it.

geise: I think you move up a square if you clear the stage without dying. I´m not sure though, you may have to be powered up too...

I´m not good at shooters (especially vertically scrolling ones) so I have yet to beat stage 3. But at least I have fun with these first couple of stages. Before reading the first post I didn´t know about the charge shot! It took me a while to get used to not using autofire, but the charge is very good for bosses and hard to reach wall mounted turrets since it passes through objects. It´s not the most generous of charge shots since letting go too early results in a regular shot, there are no "halfway" loaded ones like in R-Type.

The power up system is enjoyable, using the blue power ups as both shield/option variants and expendable bombs makes it very flexible. I usually go for red spread shots first, then blue until I get the rotating options. They feel much safer than the "Gradius-style" options on the next level of blue. For future play I´ll try to get that last blue and sacrifice it as a bomb.

The one think I don´t like about Final Blaster is that enemies are active before they enter the screen. This is especially evident on stage 3 where the large ships start firing before you even see them, the best strategy may be to memorize where they are and blast their cannons off before they are even visible. Apart from that it feels like Namco(t)´s take on Star Soldier. Mixed with some references to Xevious and Galaga (the dancing bugs). And there is something that makes the PC Engine sound chip fit especially good with shoot ém up music. I often find the sounds a bit too sharp for cute plattformers, but games like Final Blaster sound great!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 10:20:20 PM »
I still can't get past level 3, but I'm doing better.  It helped a ton figuring out that you can change your speed; now I can usually blow through the first two stages untouched.

I assume the higher stages / difficulties are based on how many times you die and the number of red and blue capsules you have.  That's what it counts up at the bottom anyway.

Androsynth

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 04:00:19 PM »
Just got a copy of this yesterday for cheap on evilbay, I haven’t checked this one out before. Looks fun.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 07:58:07 PM »
I can get through stage 3 now, but stage 4 whips my butt.  It requires lots of strategic charged shots to plow through otherwise impenetrable barriers, but those take time to charge up and leave you vulnerable.

That Guy from Faxanadu

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 06:58:47 PM »
I never managed to reach the boss of Level 3. At least I got better at the first stages. My best score ended up being 114000.

geise

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 11:34:56 PM »
I got to stage 5 and that was it. The side weapons were the way to go in this game. Never did a 1CC but I enjoy the game enough to keep trying.