Author Topic: Order Of The Griffon: "Actions stop the music" fix patch?  (Read 1361 times)

Trenton_net

Order Of The Griffon: "Actions stop the music" fix patch?
« on: March 15, 2020, 02:01:27 AM »
Hey Everyone,

For the TG16 game Dungeons & Dragons: Order of the Griffon, has anyone yet created a patch to fix the music bug? That is, when a sound effect or action is played it kills the music and it never returns until it is explicitly told to kick off again?

Seems like this is a pretty big quality of life bug for the game, which by all accounts seems like a fun D&D title!

EDIT - After some digging, it seems like a possible fix was indeed posted in one of my previous queries about this title:

"With a headerless ROM, normal (PCE-style) bytes, change in a hex editor:

ROM address $19EF: 43 -> 60"

I think a side effect though is that SFX is totally removed from battles? I'll probably try this out sometime, but I'm not exactly sure how to edit the ROM file correctly, due to a lack of experience.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 02:18:47 AM by Trenton_net »

gex

Re: Order Of The Griffon: "Actions stop the music" fix patch?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 12:59:11 AM »
Really annoying bug, be curious about this as well. Extremely doubtful that i'd ever play through OOTG again though

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 01:24:41 AM »
It's a silly bug, but the music is pretty meh (and only one battle song?).  At least it's not something sweet like the tunes in Dungeon Explorer or Air Zonk; that'd really suck to get muted and miss out on.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Trenton_net

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 05:56:00 PM »
Ok! So I was able to hex edit a copy of the binary and test out the mod. Indeed, this simply stops combat SFX from firing off, which allows the music to keep playing continuously. Unfortunately, it does not prevent music from being paused during character creation, nor does it allow sound effects to only momentarily pause music. I still think its better than nothing, since you'll be fighting often and mostly to silence.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 10:48:38 AM »
Ok! So I was able to hex edit a copy of the binary and test out the mod. Indeed, this simply stops combat SFX from firing off, which allows the music to keep playing continuously. Unfortunately, it does not prevent music from being paused during character creation, nor does it allow sound effects to only momentarily pause music. I still think its better than nothing, since you'll be fighting often and mostly to silence.

Holy smokes!  I feel like this patch idea comes up every couple years and I always get hopeful that I can play a "fixed" copy of this.  I do plan on playing OoTG every couple years and would totally be on board for trying this!

Patch link or downloads?

Keith Courage

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 11:17:48 AM »
https://www21.zippyshare.com/v/UVQ8JQBl/file.html

I'm about to booty this up pretty soon, and SUPER thankful for the awesome patch for this!  <3