Author Topic: Duo CD Motor Replacement  (Read 424 times)

foldor

Duo CD Motor Replacement
« on: December 31, 2020, 10:46:55 AM »
Hi All,

I'm busy repairing a Duo console, and I've got everything recapped, and working great except for the CD drive. I've done some troubleshooting using parts from a known working console, and I've actually narrowed it down to the very specific failing part, and it's shockingly the little motor on the CD drive that's failed. No matter what voltage I apply to the motor, it doesn't spin at all, and swapping in one from my working console has fully fixed it.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I Can source a suitable replacement, or knows what kind of technical specs I should be looking for in a 3rd party replacement? The part number on the motor is RD-050Y and it looks like it was made by Mabuchi. Doing my own Googling around, I couldn't find any more information on it that seemed noteworthy, so I wondered if anyone here knew where I can find more information, or better yet a cheap replacement. I've attached a photo in case it helps.

I found a full CD drive replacement available on AliExpress, but I'd rather see if I can just replace the one bad part rather than pay for a entire CD drive if I can avoid it, but I at least know there's an option out there if I need it.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Ryan

Keith Courage

Re: Duo CD Motor Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 04:08:09 AM »
I haven't been able to find separate exact motor replacements anywhere and I've been looking for years. However these motors work but sit at an angle when installed. FF-050SH This doesn't cause any problems. It just isn't the same size so it looks different.

Otherwise the only option for an exact replacement is to buy an entire lens assembly like you found online or buy a used replacement from gamedoctor.hk

foldor

Re: Duo CD Motor Replacement
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 04:27:42 PM »
Believe it or not I found OEM parts on Yahoo Japan. The photos seem to have been removed, but you can see the description available here: https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/j657420341

I have two coming my way, and if you're interested in the extra one just let me know.