Author Topic: PCE GT / Turbo Express: uneven brightness (stock screen), fix ?  (Read 1865 times)

TheShadowRunner

Re: PCE GT / Turbo Express: uneven brightness (stock screen), fix ?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2021, 08:26:48 AM »
There is no way to recenter the bulb. The bulb would need to be changed to fix but I haven't been able to find a suitable replacement.
Arg ok, I hoped by applying a little force on the contacts they'd bend enough to recenter.

Ok I understand now, you are talking about a design flaw and not a fault? I thought you were talking about a particular screen.
I wished it was a particular screen! but it seems to affect all of them. You said yours was OK, were you able to verify that it doesn't exhibit the same flaws as my videos above? Or did you mod all you systems to 3.5" ^^;

You could try masking off the longer side of the bulb, or put another diffuser over it to make the light more even.
The bulb is only held in with pressure and some sticky tape along the bottom so you could in theory bend the contacts, but you would probably also need to cut away some plastic on the back piece of the screen case.
Humm I see :/
I wonder if rotating the bulb on itself could help, as it must be the diffusion of light within the bulb itself that's uneven.
Or a much more recent bulb replacement if that even exists..

Or....just put a 3.5" screen in there like everyone else :)
If it was non-destructive I'd do it in a heartbeat :/
I'd even settle with a 2.6" (stock size) replacement LCD if RGB was an option :-k

I pulled mine out for a peek, and I can't see much difference in brightness across the screen.  I ain't getting any younger, though, so maybe I'm just blind.   8)
Thanks for checking ^^
If I were at all concerned, I'd do a screen replacement.  The OG screen was good for the time, but it's complete shit compared to anything remotely modern.  Reading the TED menus (and even playing Hatris) was tough.
Haha I fully agree, again if there was a non-destructive solution I'd jump on it. Reading the TED menu is a deciphering challenge :shock: