Author Topic: PC Engine Duo dead?  (Read 455 times)

elias_riano

PC Engine Duo dead?
« on: March 02, 2021, 12:46:10 PM »
I have to tell to the community a very sad story.

As I was very euphoric and enthusiastic about my Verbatim CD-R 700 MB I started to burn a lot of games.

My Neo Geo CD, my 3DO and Sega Mega CD accept and work perfectly with those burned games.

But yesterday I experienced that my PC Engine Duo died after reading 2 times a CD-R.

First it startet and showed the burned game Wonderboy 4, but asked me to add a SuperCard (why?)

I couldn't believe this and started the console 5 times hoping it will play Wonderboy 4.

Then I burned another game, the 4-1 compilation with Bonk 1+2.

After I turned the console on, the red light flashed but the CD drive didn't spin.

The motor seems to have taken damage or whatever ... 😕

Would be very nice, if somebody have advice how to repair?

xelement5x

Re: PC Engine Duo dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 12:57:48 PM »
Normally when using a CD-R I make sure to use 650MB discs instead of 700MB since I've heard it avoids making the laser seek all the way to the outer part of the track.

If you look at your unit with the top open, is the laser all the way on the outside instead of near the center? If so you might need to open up the system and nudge it back into the center a bit.

Reference:
https://www.pcenginefans.com/forum/index.php?topic=17797.msg374308#msg374308

Keith mentions turning the gears to move it back it, you're going to need to open the system though.
Gredler: spread her legs and push her down to make her more lively<br>***<br>majors: You used to be the great man, this icon we all looked up to and now your just a pico collecting 'tard...oh, how the mighty have fallen...<br>***<br>_joshuaTurbo: Sex, Lies, Rape and Arkhan. A TurboGrafx love story

Keith Courage

Re: PC Engine Duo dead?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 08:50:32 PM »
Yeah, sounds like his lens got stuck at the outer edge of the track.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:52:03 PM by Keith Courage »