Author Topic: Any idea Why These Turbografx 16 consoles are displaying a 4 way split screen?  (Read 1065 times)

Virtual Davey

This is the 2nd Turbografx 16 console that has given me this issue. They were previously working fine, but suddenly have begun to display a 4 way split screen, and even extremely sped up gameplay and sound on occasion! Also the colors are off, the wrong colors are being displayed. This is with using the RF or the TurboBooster, makes no difference.
bp petrol pump near me

Keith Courage

Looks like a faulty chip problem to me. I can't remember which one but this is usually caused by a faulty Hu6260 or a HU6270. There is a chance it's just a bad connection in between the two which could be repaired but usually it's a bad chip.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
I have a TG-16 that displays a similar issue on some games. Does yours have the 4 way split on all games? My console would give a solid color screen on most cards but a few did the split like you posted on a handful of games. I think Keith told me the same thing, it's a bad dedicated chip and I'd have to kill another TG-16 to replace the IC. I keep it around for parts now.

I'm sure NEC didn't plan for folks to still use their Turbos for 30 years :)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Virtual Davey

I've tried about a dozen games, and yes, they all do the 4 way split. I also have a handful of games that refuse to boot on any of my Turbografx 16, Turbo Duo or Turbo Express units. Tried cleaning them extensively, but they all appear to just be broken. Very unfortunate for a few of the titles:

Keith Courage

Oh, so you have other games that work just fine with both TG16 systems? So only those 4 give problems?

Virtual Davey

No, on the 2 Turbos that display the 4-way, every game displays 4-way, no matter what game it is.  I have multiple Turbos, and some work fine (but obviously not with those 5 games that refuse too boot). It sounds like I'll just save the 2 Turbos with the 4-way display for parts. It's too bad, because one of them worked fine until just a few days ago.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 05:31:01 AM by Virtual Davey »

Virtual Davey

I apologize for bumping an old topic, but I decided to go back to this project for a revisit. I had planned on possibly ordering new chips from gamedoctorhk, for it was suggested earlier that one of those chips could be the issue. I checked continuity between the chips and found no issues. I then inspected, more closely, the  Hu6260 and  HU6270 chips. The Hu6260 chip had some sort of corrosion on 5 or so of it's legs on the left hand side of the chip. I cleaned it off with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol 91%. Quite a bit of brownish residue appeared on the q-tip. Tested again and the 4 way split was now gone, but the colors were still wrong, sort of like a negative of what they should be. I decided to take a toothbrush and thoroughly clean the entire board with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol. Soaked it pretty well. Waited for the board to dry and the tested it again. So far it has been running perfectly for the past few hours.
For those curious, the TG16 is pictured below playing on my RGB modded GXTV (the remote control sensor is covered on the television because a few feet away I have a modern 50" Samsung HDR TV that uses the same signal! If I turn on the GXTV with it's remote, or my 50" with it's remote, both tvs turn on simultaneously!). I modded it myself by following this topic located here:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=56155

And following 8 Bit Guy's YouTube tutorial located here (we basically have the same tv, but mine has more inputs and better speakers):

https://youtu.be/DLz6pgvsZ_I

« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 07:36:01 PM by Virtual Davey »

Keith Courage

Nice, I'm glad you were able to fix it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Noice.  Another one saved to play another day.

I also like how your other TV turns on automatically.  When you go to watch a show or play PS4 or something, it goes "nah, bro, you wanna play some alien crush!"
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles