Author Topic: PC Engine GT Sound Issue: Low Speaker Output, High Headphone Output  (Read 172 times)

lamb2k

Hi everyone,

I'm dealing with a sound issue on my PC Engine GT: The speaker output is low, but the headphone output is extremely loud. I've done a full cleaning, recapped the system, replaced CC103 with a SMD, also tried a remote radial cap to rule out bad traces, and even replaced the speaker. However, the problem remains. Meanwhile, the video is clear and bright via the LCDDRV RGB board.

I'm open to any suggestions on what could be causing this. Is it possibly the amplifier circuit, or could it be something else? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Keith Courage

Usually low to no volume from the external speaker is caused by a bad headphone port. The port has a switch in it that turns the external speaker on and off. The switch can go bad in which case the solution is to replace the headphone port.

lamb2k

Thanks for the reply, Keith. Do you know where I can source one that is compatible?

Keith Courage

Game gear headphone ports are compatible but the hole size is slightly larger. So one has to drill out the spot on the side of the Express case ever so slightly so it will fit. https://console5.com/store/game-gear-replacement-headphone-jack.html