Author Topic: Game of the Month: February 2021 - Ys 4: The Dawn of Ys  (Read 720 times)

geise

Game of the Month: February 2021 - Ys 4: The Dawn of Ys
« on: February 02, 2021, 08:17:10 PM »
Mugen Senshi VALIS

Looks like I'm late again. Super enjoyed last month's GotM, but I want to get back to some shorter games. Gonna go with Valis Phantasm Soldier aka Mugen Senshi Valis. This blows away the MD version. Riot did a fine job remaking this game. It looks so good. Especially when you jump.  8) This might be my favorite Valis game on the PCE or in general. Valis 4 comes close to this, but this one is really good. Plays better than the others to me. I don't feel I'm on ice all the time. This is another game I can't remember the last time I beat it. It's been a good long while. Happy to pick it up and go through it again. I remember getting this game not long after I got my Duo at launch. Somehow freaking BRE Software had it for $12 bucks through mail order. Anywho I was always into the series, but started with 2 and 3. So I got a tad confused on the story. Played the first Valis last. LOL. Alright, time to get to it guys. Get your platforming on!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 06:08:59 AM by geise »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Game of the Month: February 2021 - Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 01:46:27 AM »
Fuck yeah!  Spriggan is cool and all, but I suck at it and didn't get very far even with continues.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

MNKyDeth

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 10:19:13 AM »
Played it a couple hours this month so far.

Made it to Laparo village. Did the sanctuary. Had my alter and fire magic taken. And now I seem to be off to a sand area. :) Calling it here for the night. shower time and get ready for my son's bday.

Not sure when I can play again. Hopefully tonight but after that. No idea what day I can play again.
Honestly.... all the years I had a burned copy I never played it. My burned CD I had tested on several systems. And when I finally sat down to play Ys 4 my system wouldn't read it. And I was having trouble burning another copy. So I threw the disc image on the ssds3 and I am playing it on my SuperGrafx + ssds3 using the Arcade Pro card. As this game has issues on the ssds3 using the built in system cards for some reason.

roflmao

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 02:39:44 PM »
I've put a few hours into Ys IV as well over the past couple of days. I just got Fire Magic and the Wind Flute. Good times!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 08:31:35 PM »
Anyone ever play through the game using the bracelets?  I've played through a few times, but I've never played back to back games or kept a save around for next time.

MNKyDeth

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 01:03:32 PM »
Made it through ice mountain area. Stoned a kid. Warped around a little. Found a doctor... Now I'm back in libra getting ready for a journey on a raft.
Calling it quits for today. Will try to get in more game time soon. :)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 08:19:34 PM »
I finally started playing the other day, and I decided to try it with a 6-buttoner.  Who tested this?  The title screen isn't 100% compatible, but are there other spots?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 09:43:43 AM »
I finished 'er up last night.  It's such a great game, and I love the 'story time' ending.

I'm gonna try to keep the save around so I can try playing it with the bracelets next time.

geise

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 01:17:00 PM »
Nice man! I completed Ys 4 a few weeks ago. It's a long one as far as comparing it to the other 3 Ys games. I enjoyed it. The music was good, but lacking to me compared to the first 3. All in all I was happy to play through it again. I'll post a new game of the month later tonight.

jcoelho

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2021, 06:52:31 PM »
Played it a couple hours this month so far.

Made it to Laparo village. Did the sanctuary. Had my alter and fire magic taken. And now I seem to be off to a sand area. :) Calling it here for the night. shower time and get ready for my son's bday.

Not sure when I can play again. Hopefully tonight but after that. No idea what day I can play again.
Honestly.... all the years I had a burned copy I never played it. My burned CD I had tested on several systems. And when I finally sat down to play Ys 4 my system wouldn't read it. And I was having trouble burning another copy. So I threw the disc image on the ssds3 and I am playing it on my SuperGrafx + ssds3 using the Arcade Pro card. As this game has issues on the ssds3 using the built in system cards for some reason.

Hi MNKyDeth,

I'm glad I found this reference to the SSDS3 having issues with Ys IV, I've trying for hours to get the translation working to no avail, not even the original release work. I found a couple of tweets from people who mention the translation running on their SSDS3 but no mention of the Arcade Card.

Have you seen any more information about this issue anywhere? Ys IV is not listed as incompatible by Terraonion for some reason.

Thanks!