Author Topic: World Heroes 2 and the 6-button pad  (Read 405 times)

McRib702

World Heroes 2 and the 6-button pad
« on: June 13, 2023, 07:52:56 AM »
I recently got an Avenue 6 pad to use with some fighting games, and it works great with SF2, but doesn't do anything for World Heroes 2.  The game is 6 button compatible in that you can use the 6-button setting on the controller, but the controller does nothing beyond allowing me to use three round buttons instead of two round buttons and the select or run buttons.  This is quite disappointing.  Am I right, or am I doing something wrong?

JPEngine

Re: World Heroes 2 and the 6-button pad
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 07:55:34 PM »
Doesn’t World Heroes 2 only use three buttons in the first place?
(I don’t own a copy to confirm)

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 01:25:20 AM »
From the manual, that's the way it's supposed to work.  Besides jump (d-pad up) and block (d-pad away), there's only three moves: punch, kick, and throw.

Maybe it changes the strength of the attack by how long you hold the button?  It's been a while since i've played it, and I'm nothing but a button mashing monkey at such games anyway.   :pcgs:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

McRib702

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 09:05:28 PM »
Yeah that's what I thought.  It seems odd to me that this game is included in all of the lists of 6 button PC Engine games that I have seen when it really only uses 3 buttons, so I thought I would ask just to make sure.  I have Art of Fighting coming to me on a slow boat from Japan.  I wonder if that game also really only uses 3 buttons.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:10:00 PM by McRib702 »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 10:35:54 PM »
A quick look at the manual says it uses 4 buttons (IV is for taunts).  Neo-Geo only had four buttons, too, so I wouldn't expect any of these games to use all six buttons like SF2.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 08:59:52 AM »
...I have Art of Fighting coming to me on a slow boat from Japan.
Well at least you already have the better of the SNK arcade ported fighters. There is a lot of fun to be had with WH2. Kabuki is prolly the best but it's more of a re-imagined version from the original (but does use 6 buttons!).
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Digi.MKII

• [SPREAD][OPTION][!?]
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2023, 08:44:44 PM »
the neo geo ports have some quirks with multi button accessories..  Is the 6 button pad plugged in before you load up the game ? 

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 11:55:57 AM »
From the manual, that's the way it's supposed to work.  Besides jump (d-pad up) and block (d-pad away), there's only three moves: punch, kick, and throw.

Maybe it changes the strength of the attack by how long you hold the button?  It's been a while since i've played it, and I'm nothing but a button mashing monkey at such games anyway.   :pcgs:

I've played WH2, and remember enjoying it... but I guess I don't recall whether I used an Ave6 or just the regular 2 button...

This might be the perfection option for the Ave3, and just assign run to III?