Author Topic: Game of the Month: March 2023 - Mad Stalker  (Read 362 times)

geise

Game of the Month: March 2023 - Mad Stalker
« on: March 05, 2023, 10:28:38 AM »
MAD STALKER

Was wanting an action game this month and was thinking of games I haven't done or have played in a good while. This one fit the bill. Mad Stalker! It was actually the first game I bought of ebay way back in 1998. It was $25 lol. Anyways I like the game on the pc-engine, but it's different than the x68k original. It's more in vein to the FM-Towns version with redbook and cutscenes. Even with it not being as good as the original it's still a fine game on the pc-engine. The music is amazing as are the cut-scenes. To me it's worth the play through at least. Hope others will want to play it this month. It's a decent game that deserves a play through.

seieienbu

Re: Game of the Month: March 2023 - Mad Stalker
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 02:17:51 AM »
I've never played this one.  The only thing that I know about it was that for years the message board on this game's page on gamefaqs was a kind of weird help forum for incel guys trying to get over being shy and ask out girls.  It was frequently (always?) one of the top 10 message boards on the PC Engine/Turbo console whenever I looked.  When I came across it I wondered if it was a joke or not.

Just checked, still kinda there.  Gamefaqs seems to have changed a bit since the last time I looked.  Now, a game's board is shared amongst all consoles that have the game.
 Either way, this is still super creepy but I guess if someone goes to a "Mad Stalker" board for relationship advice..
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2023, 10:28:56 AM »
... message board on this game's page on gamefaqs ...
Oh man, dem's the old days. The absolute stupidity found on the random threads on Gamefaqs was comedy gold. I'm sure bin Laden could have planned out attacks from there without being found :)

As for GotM, I'm looking forward to this one. I've messed with the X68 version and I think there was a Mega Drive proto that was finished up not too long ago but I never put much time into it. There seems to be some cheat codes, so I'll at least get a clear :) (thanks GameFAQS!)
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2023, 08:40:04 PM »
This should be fun.  I've played it a bit but not a real effort to beat it, so now's my chance!
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

geise

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 07:06:59 PM »
This should be fun.  I've played it a bit but not a real effort to beat it, so now's my chance!
I've cleared this one so long ago I don't even remember. This is one reason i did this one for GotM. I wanted to try and clear it again. Of the three characters/mechs I like to use Chico the most. In regards to the other versions x68k is of course the best. This is still decent and I dig the cutscenes and music. I also want to go back and try the other versions this month as well. After I clear this of course. Hope you all have time to get some game time in this month.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 09:44:20 AM »
Not gonna lie, I did the invincibility trick to go through this month's pick. Great visuals and audio (68000 powah), but man does it get repetitive. It's like a boss fight EVERY enemy group you encounter. The fighting mechanics are good...for a platformer (better than Rise of the Robots!). I kinda get an Alien Soldier vibe from it. I'm also reminded of Tony's walking animation in Crest of Wolf :)

I know PCE Works did a repressing (I'm gonna say that to avoid drama, but ppl here know my thoughts on PCE Works), did that affect the selling price? I thought Mad was a $100+ game but a quick look up seems it's lower. Or is it one of those releases that are hard to differentiate from? I do not own it, but it could be a good showpiece to demonstrate the PCE at events so I may have to add it to my short list if I see a deal.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"