Author Topic: What happened to the Turbo List?  (Read 663 times)

ChopperCharles

What happened to the Turbo List?
« on: June 09, 2004, 06:15:39 PM »
What ever happened to the Turbo List? I've been trying to get on http://joyce.eng.yale.edu/~bt/turbo, and it doesn't seem to exist anymore. I've been out of the loop for five or six years, but am just now getting back into my Turbo again after a very long hiatus.

Unfortunately, my CD sound is messed up in my Duo, and I'm hoping somebody can help me trouble-shoot the problem. (Hu sound plays fine, all discs load properly... but the CD sound fades out completely after about 5 minutes. I tried cleaning the lens and stuff, to no avail. I think a transistor or cap somewhere went south... unless it's just a bad solder joint somewhere...)

Charles.

neofan

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 07:06:00 PM »
check other similar posts here i the forums, thats come up before. I've gone thru great distances to keep my NEC systems alive, they are almost pets to me of sorts :)

As far as the Turbo list, I have been wondering the same thing i checked 2 days ago to catch up myself and i couldn't get it either. Hopefully it is just something technical, i've been watching/contributing to that list forever.

later gamers
Neofan's PC-FX Hints and Walkthrus
http://my.att.net/p/PWP-nec
"it's enough to get you started"

Take the awesome PC-FX quiz!
http://quizilla.teennick.com/tests/16054718/click-here-to-add-a-test-title

Pcenginefx

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2004, 03:45:16 AM »
They have been having major web host issues over the past few months (TurboList, MindRec & TZD) but everything should be back to normal now.
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Re: What happened to the Turbo List?
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 05:40:23 PM »
Hey guys, I wanted to continue a bit of a conversation here about the Turbo List. Who was all in it, and if you remember any of the emails. I used to get so excited to see new emails come into my inbox, and would read just about every update. I saw the digest archive was brought up in some conversations after the passing of one of the original members of the list, so I figured I would pass this link along.  (maybe it's already common knowledge, but oh well, here's another link!)

http://www.megalextoria.com/forum2/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=20&fbclid=IwAR3w8gPtJXGL1Hx8yvZtCs-eC3DkflytO0q_ZmSpVvhnlaE_RqJEsZnbmAo

This was one of my 3 editions of "The Turbo Sage Speaks" columns I wrote up, haha.  It's pretty hilarious, but I figured I'd share.

https://hupack.blogspot.com/2023/02/who-remembers-turbo-list.html

geise

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2023, 07:57:29 PM »
I was in it but I have no idea what email or name I used for it.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2023, 09:51:30 PM »
I was in it.  I think I used my current yahoo email or maybe it was juno.  Any other poors remember that one?
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 12:52:58 PM »
Like Josh, I have fond memories of the list. It was a connection to fellow obey lovers from around the world before Facebook and Discord. I was looking through the old digest and saw a couple of old heads that are still around today. That's brand loyalty right there!
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

MrFulci

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2023, 10:17:52 AM »
The Turbo List was something I was subscribed to, but I never participated in. It gave me some news, but during that time TZD was still around so I spent most of my time with their catalog and flyers, and whatever I could find in certain back issues of GamePro, Game Players, and similar magazines. I still have an old, "Tips and Tricks" magazine that featured a section with Turbo Grafx/Duo cheats, and this was a while after TTI took things over, I want to say that issue was from 1995, or late 1994, since it covered Jaguar, also. I'll have to dig that magazine out, sometime.

Turbo Grafx was at that time a system few people I knew of had. When one neighborhood guy I knew moved away, i was then the only person i knew with one. I took a break from the Turbo Grafx from about 2000-2004 or so. Had it all boxed up, put away, didn't play it, then I got an itch for it again. During that time I was already aware of PCENGINEFX forums, and that was about when I started, I guess one could say, "Participating" more with people that owned these systems.

I did peruse the, "Turbo List Archives" though. I am thinking I probably unsubscribed in 2000 or so.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 10:20:08 AM by MrFulci »
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

roflmao

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 09:52:52 PM »
I loved the old Turbo Mailing List! That's where I first met Aaron and BT (RIP). And I got a VHS tape from Chuck (Retro Game Cave) full of PC Engine gameplay back then through the list. Those were good times.