NEC PC-Engine/SuperGrafx > PC Engine/SuperGrafx Discussion

Questions regarding Burnt CD's for PC-E

(1/2) > >>

AnnaTheBanana:
Hi all!

I've recently acquired a PC-E / CD IFU-30 System and I've been thinking of playing some of the custom-made titles (Like the NES2PCE Projects) and would like to ask some questions regarding Burning CD's for it.

- Will a 650 MB CD Work better as opposed to a 700 MB CD?
- Do Burnt CD's actually reduce the overall lifespan of the Laser Reader?
- Currently I only have a System Card 1.0, Will I need a 3.0 / Arcade Card in order to play Burnt CD's, or do the Games that work with the System Card 1.0 still work on a burnt CD?
- Does the region lock still apply for Burnt CD's?
- Any software you would recommend for Burning CD's for the PC-E? I know IMGBurn is popular, however, from my research some claim that IMGBurn's Burn quality is not that good.

Thankss!  :geni:

_joshuaTurbo:

- Will a 650 MB CD Work better as opposed to a 700 MB CD? (either should work, but I'm not a pro- go ahead and try it)
- Do Burnt CD's actually reduce the overall lifespan of the Laser Reader?  (it depends on who you ask. If you get the laser replaced, it might actually read burns better than original games like my recapped/laser updated Duo does!)
- Currently I only have a System Card 1.0, Will I need a 3.0 / Arcade Card in order to play Burnt CD's, or do the Games that work with the System Card 1.0 still work on a burnt CD?  (just grab a 3.0/ACD so you can play a strong majority of the CD library. I think 1.0 only plays a small library of CD rom games.  CD-rom2, Super CD-rom2, and Arcade Cards are what most CD games are listed as.)
- Does the region lock still apply for Burnt CD's?  Nope, all CD's from any region can play on any region (us or Japanese)
- Any software you would recommend for Burning CD's for the PC-E? I know IMGBurn is popular, however, from my research some claim that IMGBurn's Burn quality is not that good. (Imgburn is great!)

Cheers, and welcome to the community!

[/quote]

Necromancer:
650mb would theoretically be better due to wider grooves and/or no overburn area where the laser might get stuck, but I've been using 720mb (maybe only 700mb?) JVC branded Taiyo Yuden discs for years without issue.  I'd not worry about it.

CDRs are only going to hurt your drive if you ignore that it's not working correctly.  If it plays without issue, your drive will be fine; if it struggles and loses its place and has to refocus often, you'll kill it eventually.

1.0 syscard is pretty uncommon, but most any 'regular' CD should work just fine.  The more common 2.0 card is mainly big fixes and an added music CD player.  You definitely will need a 3.0 syscard eventually, though, as there's way too many great Super CDs that need to be played; including those NES2PCE games, I believe.  I'm fairly certain that the newer everdrives can be used as a 3.0 syscard, so I'd invest in that before bothering with a real one.

I use Imgburn and haven't made a coaster in years.  They always fail validation, though, but they still work fine.

Just my zwei pfennig.  Welcome aboard, best of luck to you on your burning adventures, and please keep us updated on what did (or didn't) work for you.   :pcgs:

AnnaTheBanana:
Thank you Joshua and Necromancer for the assistance, and thanks for the warm welcome  :pcgs:

--- Quote from: Necromancer on November 14, 2023, 09:01:00 PM ---CDRs are only going to hurt your drive if you ignore that it's not working correctly.  If it plays without issue, your drive will be fine; if it struggles and loses its place and has to refocus often, you'll kill it eventually.

--- End quote ---

Would there be any way to test if a CDR is working correctly? Any telltale signs that the laser is struggling from your experience?

Necromancer:

--- Quote from: AnnaTheBanana on November 15, 2023, 10:09:51 AM ---
Would there be any way to test if a CDR is working correctly? Any telltale signs that the laser is struggling from your experience?

--- End quote ---

There's often a high pitched squeal when it's having troubles.  That may not be noticeable to anyone that hasn't owned the system for years and is used to how it normally sounds; what will be more obvious is songs that stop playing abruptly and don't start again until moving to a new stage (where the track would normally change anyway), or loading times that're inordinately long or multiple seeks, which you'll clearly hear.  There's a few games that aren't well organized and do load from multiple locations, but most only load from one continuous spot, taking just a couple of seconds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version