Author Topic: TurboExpress Power ON/OFF Sliding Switch Replacement  (Read 233 times)

techwiz

TurboExpress Power ON/OFF Sliding Switch Replacement
« on: November 10, 2023, 07:21:46 AM »
Hello! Just joined, so thank you, admins, for the approval!

I've been working on a NEC TurboExpress and I accidentally got the plastic inside the power ON/OFF switch too hot while doing other repairs and melted it. At first, it would still power on when sliding the switch, but you had to really press inward while sliding to get it to work.

I removed the switch component and tried to gently melt the plastic back so it would work more reliably and all I managed to do was make it worse.

I need to find a replacement On/OFF switch for this, but having some trouble figuring out which kind of switch I need. I initially searched for "NEC TurboExpress power switch" and didn't come up with anything, so then I started looking for a generic replacement from Mouser or DigiKey, but the options are so vast and there are tons of different types like SPST, DPST, etc.

This switch only has an ON or OFF position. The switch uses 10 pins total, with the 6 "middle" pins being the ON/OFF and the leftover 4 on each "corner" are just ground for the shield that goes around it. Through-hole and right-angled.

Here are some photos of what I am working with. Never mind the flux everywhere lol. I'll have all of that cleaned up once I'm done with everything. I'm hoping someone can help me figure out which replacement switch I can use to get this thing turning on/off again. If you need any additional info or need me to measure something, I will be glad to do so.

Thank you!

MasterofBiscuits

Re: TurboExpress Power ON/OFF Sliding Switch Replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2023, 04:29:17 PM »
I've never seen replacements for these. I think it's probably an SPST 6 terminal switch, like this one https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/slide-switches/2570666 but with side mount through holes.

Your best bet would probably be to scavenge one from a dead board, if you can find one. Or since the only bad part of the switch is the plastic, take it apart and replace the melted plastic with a 3d printed replacement - I'm not into 3d printing personally but I know it would be possible for someone who knows what they're doing.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 04:32:14 PM by MasterofBiscuits »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2023, 11:39:09 PM »
Ah, man, that's unfortunate.  I'm technically dumb, so no help there, but I hope you can find a suitable replacement.  3D printing sounds like a good idea; I'm impressed with all the little doodads people can make with those things.

PS - are you Bernie?  :cook:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

techwiz

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 02:59:44 PM »
Ah, man, that's unfortunate.  I'm technically dumb, so no help there, but I hope you can find a suitable replacement.  3D printing sounds like a good idea; I'm impressed with all the little doodads people can make with those things.

PS - are you Bernie?  :cook:

3D printing could be an option, but not very practical for me in my area. Good suggestion though. And no, I am not Bernie. :)

I've never seen replacements for these. I think it's probably an SPST 6 terminal switch, like this one https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/slide-switches/2570666 but with side mount through holes.

Thank you. I did a lot of digging around online and found a sliding switch with the exact same measurements as the original one and it's also right-angled, but it's DPDT. I am not sure if it will work or not, but it's the closest thing I have found in terms of number of pins, spacing between pins, right angled, and overall measurement. Once they arrive, I will solder in the new one and I will report back on whether it worked or not as well as a link to buy them so perhaps someone else might benefit from it if they need to replace theirs too.

Fingers crossed!

MasterofBiscuits

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 02:04:44 PM »
Thank you. I did a lot of digging around online and found a sliding switch with the exact same measurements as the original one and it's also right-angled, but it's DPDT. I am not sure if it will work or not, but it's the closest thing I have found in terms of number of pins, spacing between pins, right angled, and overall measurement. Once they arrive, I will solder in the new one and I will report back on whether it worked or not as well as a link to buy them so perhaps someone else might benefit from it if they need to replace theirs too.

Fingers crossed!

It should work fine, it may just have an extra position and you may need to join the terminals together (top to bottom) to have the same connections as the original.

techwiz

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2023, 04:24:39 PM »
Hello again,

Just coming back to happily report that the power on switch I purchased did indeed fix the problem. https://www.ebay.com/itm/275901936717 - there is the link to the item I purchased. Although the dimensions are nearly spot on, you will have to slightly bend the 4 "corner" pins to fit in the holes on the PCB, but other than that, worked well. Powers on again!

Thanks for the help!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 11:48:20 PM »
Well done!  It's always nice hearing of a successful repair, making a system ready for years of more fun.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles