Author Topic: Tengai Makyou is FINALLY in English!!  (Read 596 times)

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
Tengai Makyou is FINALLY in English!!
« on: December 07, 2023, 08:39:46 PM »
http://stargood.org/trans/tenma.php

Long, long ago, amidst the seas of the farthest reaches of the Far East, there was once a mystical land called Jipang: a beautiful and terrible place where gods and demons, wonders and horrors, men and beasts alike all coexisted in a strange and fantastic harmony. But that harmony is threatened when a foreign religion called the Cult of Daimon arrives on the country's shores and begins spreading across the land, its leaders aiming to steal human souls in order to revive the sealed demon Masakado and transform Jipang into their own utopia. Will Ziria, the fated hero descended from the Fire Clan which once sealed Masakado, stop the wicked Daimonists – or will Jipang's oriental beauty burn in demonic hellfire?

Tengai Makyou: Ziria is the debut entry of the Tengai Makyou series. Published by Hudson Soft for the PC-Engine CD-ROM² system in 1989, it was the first RPG ever released on CD and served as a showcase for the new medium, with elaborate visuals and voice acting far beyond what any competing title could offer. Its success led it to become the first in a popular series, very little of which was ever released outside Japan.

Oh, and don't pay too much attention to that first paragraph. The game may wear the trappings of a serious plot, but the real theme is "what foreigners mistakenly think Japan is like."

This patch fully translates the game into English. See the readme included in the download for more information.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: Tengai Makyou is FINALLY in English!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 06:42:31 PM »
Woot!  It's a Festivus Day miracle!

Credit to good guy Supper, who's been behind several top notch translations.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

roflmao

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 04:56:21 PM »
Awesome news! I'm looking forward to playing this and actually knowing what's going on, haha.

Naniyue

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 12:51:26 AM »
  Another fine translation!  There have been more PCE CD translations in the past couple of years than ever before!  About damn time!  I'm tired of the SNES getting all the love!

Funny enough, I've always avoided this series, in spite of its popularity among many people, so I'm finally giving it a chance.

The thing I DO like, right away, is that there are backgrounds for the battles!  Why do so many JRPGs of the 8 and 16 bit eras just leave it black?

roflmao

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2023, 12:45:55 AM »
I just wanted to check in and say THANK YOU to Supper. Maybe someday he'll see this. :P

My Analogue Duo arrived recently and I've been playing this game more than anything else. Finally defeated the first Daimon Clan Member earlier this evening! The grind is real here.  :pcgs:

roflmao

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 11:07:27 PM »
Is anyone else playing through this? I think I'm stuck.

I've gotten to a point where a second Fire Hero has joined my party and we need to cut down a sacred tree to construct a bridge to move the story forward. We got the special axe needed to cut the tree down, but I can't seem to trigger what happens next. Interacting with the tree doesn't do anything. I've tried talking to everyone in town. Both characters have tried equipping the axe and interacting with the tree.

Has any one else been able to get past this part of the game?

Black Tiger

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2023, 07:54:31 PM »
Is anyone else playing through this? I think I'm stuck.

I've gotten to a point where a second Fire Hero has joined my party and we need to cut down a sacred tree to construct a bridge to move the story forward. We got the special axe needed to cut the tree down, but I can't seem to trigger what happens next. Interacting with the tree doesn't do anything. I've tried talking to everyone in town. Both characters have tried equipping the axe and interacting with the tree.

Has any one else been able to get past this part of the game?

Try this walkthrough:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/turbocd/589285-tengai-makyou-ziria/faqs/19108
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

roflmao

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2023, 11:12:49 PM »
Try this walkthrough:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/turbocd/589285-tengai-makyou-ziria/faqs/19108

Thanks! You wrote this, didn't you? I think I've used one of your other FAQs on a different PCE RPG BITD, haha. Too many acronyms.  :pcgs:

roflmao

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2023, 11:58:41 PM »
I apologize for the double post, but I've read through the FAQ up to where I'm stuck. Tsunade has joined my party and I have received the Axe from the village elder, though I think it's been translated into a different name. Then I went down to the tree and I've tried having it equipped on both party members, but neither one does anything to chop it down.

I bet I've been overthinking this and it needs to be an item in my inventory that I use.  #-o Gonna go try now.

roflmao

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2023, 12:10:15 AM »
I bet I've been overthinking this and it needs to be an item in my inventory that I use.  #-o Gonna go try now.

That was it.

Thanks for the walkthrough, Black Tiger!  :pcgs:

Keith Courage

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 10:45:41 PM »
Just a report that both the 1.0 and 1.1 versions of the patch have random crashing issues on real hardware(CDR). Works great though via emulation or ODE options like the everdrive pro or Super SD system 3.

The game will just crash in between loading screens from time to time. Never in the same spot or dependent on how long the game has been played. It could happen in 15 minutes or after 1 hour. It's been tested on multiple systems with different brand of CDRs and CD burners.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 05:54:28 AM by Keith Courage »

roflmao

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 10:26:55 PM »
Just a report that both the 1.0 and 1.1 versions of the patch have random crashing issues on real hardware(CDR). Works great though via emulation or ODE options like the everdrive pro or Super SD system 3.

The game will just crash in between loading screens from time to time. Never in the same spot or dependent on how long the game has been played. It could happen in 15 minutes or after 1 hour. It's been tested on multiple systems with different brand of CDRs and CD burners.

Interesting. I'm not sure which version I've been playing (I'm assuming 1.0), but I've been playing on the Analogue Duo and haven't run into any crashes. My party is Level 15 and I just completed Shirakawa Castle, which took quite a bit of time and haven't experienced a crash yet.

As a general update, this game is amazing, especially considering the context for when it came out originally. Some of the music, though, is pretty grating. Oof.

Keith Courage

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 06:39:00 AM »
Looks like it's been fixed with version 1.2 http://stargood.org/trans/tenma.php