Author Topic: Game of the Month: February 2024 - Zero Wing  (Read 120 times)

geise

Game of the Month: February 2024 - Zero Wing
« on: February 11, 2024, 09:24:03 PM »
Zero Wing

Since this is being posted so late I am going to make it a shooter for February. An NEC Ave port of the infamous Zero Wing. We all know the song from the MD/Gen intro, but this version has way more cutscenes. I dig this version a lot more. It's similar to the HellfireS port. Cutscenes in between levels and a different but good CD soundtrack. I love me some Taoplan and hope you all have a good time with this one.

Naniyue

Re: Game of the Month: February 2024 - Zero Wing
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 12:45:07 AM »
  I actually like a shooter with a story, so I also enjoy this one.  I do have to cheat though, as I'm terrible at it.

Now, if we could get a Sega CD or PCE CD version of Gleylancer with fully voiced cutscenes as well.

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 09:20:02 AM »
I was messing with Zero last year, so I already have ready access to it. I didn't give it much of a go back then, so I have more impetus to dig into it this month. Thanks for submitting another GotM!
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

seieienbu

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 03:33:24 PM »
I don't have this one on PC Engine so I've never played that version.  With that said?  I've got the European version on the Fekadrive.  The intro alone made it worth the purchase, but beyond that it's a very competent shooter with an excellent soundtrack.  It's also pretty hard; I've never been able to beat the game.

So, I watched a couple of levels of the PC Engine on youtube.  Honestly, I like the Feka soundtrack better from what I've heard, but the music is still good.  The cinematic sequences between levels though?  I really like that they exist.  Bah, now I want to track down the PC Engine version, play both, and post about some differences.  As long as I'm at it, I kind of want to hunt down the arcade version too, but the single one I found on ebay appears prohibitively expensive.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93