Author Topic: !!!!!!!!!!!!I HATE TIME LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 335 times)

Naniyue

!!!!!!!!!!!!I HATE TIME LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« on: February 12, 2024, 02:34:13 AM »
I . . . HAAAAAAATTTTEEEEE . . . .

:boom: :twisted: :boom:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!TIME LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:boom: :twisted: :boom:

Did I forget to mention that I HATE time limits?

Seriously!  They have ALWAYS bugged me!  And I can count on LESS than one hand the number of times I've been successful on the first try!

Anyone else hate this God forsaken curse of video gaming?

I hate this even more than platformers!  And the first SMB and Metroid are two of the main games that started this RRRRAAAAGEEEEE!!!!!!

It's even worse when it's part of an (action) RPG you are playing hardcore style!  Dummy me!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 03:11:43 AM by Naniyue »

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!I HATE TIME LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 03:31:15 AM »
Fuck yes, time limits are (usually) dumb.  I'm okay with it being a small part of a game, where you need to solve a puzzle or perform a specific task in a rush, but don't punish me in a platformer because I want to explore the damn level.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

majors

• Have cabs, will travel
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 09:25:20 AM »
I'm assuming quick time events fall into this despised category? I can get behind that...looking at you Dragons Lair!

As for the Metroid comment, I found it exhilarating the first time I defeated Mother Brain on NES and had to "escape". I feel that is more of an extra bonus ending rather than core gameplay mechanic to hate on.
PCE Daisakusen RIP - "Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"

Naniyue

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 08:54:58 PM »
  It took countless tries for me to beat Mother Brain.  And then there was that damn final ascent . . . with a TIME LIMIT!!!!!  I was so angry that I actually punched my TV screen so hard I was worried that it broke or I did!  I didn't touch that game for 6 straight months afterwards, and truly let it collect dust.  When I ultimately, FINALLY beat it, it was more of a relief than a triumph.

Super Metroid, however, was fair, at least to me.  It wasn't easy, but it wasn't rage inducing either.

Yeah, I think quick time events count.  Interestingly, when one of those prompts you to keep hitting the same button, it's not a speed mashing contest like I grew up with, so I usually fail them.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 08:58:44 PM by Naniyue »

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 04:02:49 PM »
Legendary Axe II's final stage (the maze) has the most obnoxious time limit. I just explored that with Rove watching and laughing at me on twitch, haha...