Author Topic: PC Engine Duo-R, "Please Set Disc!" Error even after lens swap  (Read 208 times)

Ad12

Hello everyone!
So, basically, I decided to enter the world of PC Engine by getting a Duo-R, it was supposed to be working (I even got a video of the system reading CDs fine), but when I received it, I just kept getting the Please Set Disc error, for both audio CDs and original PCE CD games. I opened the system and tried several fixes I saw on the internet and nothing seemed to work. I tried pushing the drive assembly a bit downward, moving the lens, adjusting the pots, nothing. I thought it was a matter of replacing the whole lens, but today I got the new lens, replaced it and it does the same exact thing. What's happening?
I found interesting that the motor seems to make some sounds, but when I open the CD door the CD is always in the same exact position I placed it before pressing the RUN button. Is this how Duo-Rs are supposed to work or is the CD just not spinning at all?
I haven't tried pot adjusting without the system case because that seems a lot more difficult for me, and at this point I don't even know if that will solve the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keith Courage

Re: PC Engine Duo-R, "Please Set Disc!" Error even after lens swap
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 09:20:57 PM »
I'm wondering if the center CD spindle got pushed down during shipment. Many people don't ship DUOs in a large enough box to allow for adequate space on top of the DUO. If something heavy gets set on top of it, the center spindle gets pushed down.

take a look at the pictures in this post to see where the spindle is positioned compared to the white house that surrounds it.

https://www.pcenginefans.com/forum/index.php?topic=23908.0

« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 10:42:12 PM by Keith Courage »

Ad12

Re: PC Engine Duo-R, "Please Set Disc!" Error even after lens swap
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 02:56:32 AM »
I checked the photos and wow, the spindle is indeed pretty down on my unit. It was shipped in a very small box so that's what happened. Is there any video or something on how to push the spindle upward? I see I have to do it with some pliers but I'm confused on what part of the mechanism I have to press, I'm not very experienced in doing this kind of stuff and I don't want to bend anything.