Author Topic: Why I often have a hard time with JRPGs.  (Read 368 times)

Naniyue

Why I often have a hard time with JRPGs.
« on: June 10, 2024, 01:16:37 AM »
  I just started playing the ROSE version of Final Fantasy III/VI.  I'm not even an hour in and I already don't want to play further.  However, I will force myself through it, like I did in recent months with Breath of Fire I.

My disinterest in JRPGs is not unknown in this forum, but here's a look at the problem:

I beat FF II US, then went straight to III US, back in the day.

While I liked the story and characters of FF II US, I HATED what I called back then the "1, 2 step FIGHT!" syndrome.  In other words, a battle after only a couple of steps, constantly!  And the final boss drove me nuts!

So, after legitimately beating II, I went right into III, and only a couple hours in got absolutely FED UP with random battles, and quit.  It just wasn't fun anymore!  This wasn't the only reason, however.  I also disliked what I called, "dopey walking around", or the standard JRPG viewpoint.  Add to that the fact that I thought most JRPG characters looked too cartoony, both in and out of battle, especially in Final Fantasy games, that I just got tired of it all.  I didn't even like the artificial separation between combatants.

Actually, I cut my computer RPG teeth on Wizardry for the NES.  I had played a few tabletop RPGs by then, but this was my first computerized one.  Whether my preference for the first person view is because of this, or if I would have gravitated toward it anyway, who knows!  I just feel like I'm actually getting somewhere with that view rather than overhead, like I'm actually traversing the terrain.

Before I played FF II, I had beaten Phantasy Star II, as well as Dragonslayer - Legend of Heroes and Cosmic Fantasy II on the Turbo.  So yes, I had plenty of JRPG experience and enjoyment by that time.  Even after my first JRPG burnout, I ended up playing and enjoying Cosmic Fantasy IV, both parts, Emerald Dragon, Phantasy Star IV, Legend of Heroes II, Final Fantasy Legend II, etc.

So, while I don't hate the Final Fantasy series (I did beat FF VII, and even the GBA version of the first part many years later), the overall formula that so many JRPGs follow is just not fun for me.

It's not that I hate JRPGs.  That is a falsehood.  I highly recommend Cosmic Fantasy II and IV, part II . . . Emerald Dragon (in spite of the stupid ally AI) . . . Dragon Quest IX (no artificial separation in battle!) . . . Radiant Historia . . . Mario & Luigi - Superstar Saga . . .

So, yeah.  Thanks for reading my somewhat organized flow-of-consciousness rant/explanation.

I WILL play more J/WRPGs!  I just have to be in the mood.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 01:42:48 AM by Naniyue »

Gentlegamer

Re: Why I often have a hard time with JRPGs.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2024, 07:13:57 PM »
Play Skies of Arcadia

geise

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2024, 08:47:57 PM »
got absolutely FED UP with random battles, and quit.  It just wasn't fun anymore! 

So I read this and then you say you recommend Cosmic Fantasy 2? I'm a little confused. Lol!

I love CF series though even if it's a grind. I'm used to the jrpg grind. Have you played Ys Book i & II yet? It's more action/rpg in a different way, but fantastic game. Also, one with a great battle system and is all around amazing is Grandia.

Naniyue

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2024, 10:08:41 PM »
  Of course I like YS!!!  Kinda hard to be a Turbo fan otherwise!  My favorite is Ys IV.

My favorite game genre is the (1st person) action RPG, but even then too much grinding can try my patience.

So basically, in JRPGs, all those required, FREQUENT random battles, combined with goofy looking characters and samey plots lead me to frustration and boredom.   I had more patience with such when I was younger.  Maybe I've just played through too many?

Especially nowadays, I use 2x or 3x XP & gold cheats as well as a fast forward button with RPGs, both East and West.  Saves me a TON of time, and beats back that burnout.

I tried Skies of Arcadia years ago on my actual Dreamcast, but the battles just took too long.
Once I get a powerful enough computer, I'll try it again in emulation with fast forward.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2024, 11:22:58 PM by Naniyue »

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 01:41:51 PM »
I think if you're like me at all, you can chaulk it up to just going through phases in life. When my kids were a lot younger, I would struggle trying to attempt a long RPG, just because I could never find the time to fully wrap myself around the characters or adventure. But nowadays, I've managed to spend a lot more time exploring and spending time with them!  I'm currently playing through Cosmic Fantasy 2, and for real- it's a damn slog for about 2/3 of the game, but now feels like it's picking up with Babs, Pico and Van! Just in the last 3 years, I've played through Dragon Slayer, Shining in the Darkness (Gens), and FF: Mystic Quest on SNES and likely a few others. But yeah!!

I equate playing a fun RPG to reading a good book. You just can't lose your spot/bookmark! ;)

Naniyue

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 11:59:42 PM »
  I agree it's at least partially about phases of life.  I'm not fifteen with the whole summer ahead of me anymore. (DAMN that was a long time ago!)

If you like CF2, then you need to play CF4 Part 2!  Let a few months to a year or so pass before doing so, as this will help the timing of things.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2024, 04:05:05 AM »
I have a hard time getting into them, especially if it's not translated.  It's fun eventually, but it can be a bit of a chore before I figure out the menus and get into the story.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Naniyue

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2024, 09:51:44 PM »
  I don't know why, but only tonight at work I realized that I haven't played any of the JRPGs I've recommended in over twenty years.  So I guess that's more in line with what I've expressed in this topic.

_joshuaTurbo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2024, 06:54:33 PM »
  I don't know why, but only tonight at work I realized that I haven't played any of the JRPGs I've recommended in over twenty years.  So I guess that's more in line with what I've expressed in this topic.

I'd say grab a game you've already played through ( or possibly one you've started but never finished ) that is way up top on your queue of fav RPGs, and hold yourself accountable (set aside time each week to play). Finish it and see how you feel. Who knows, maybe you've just hit a point in your life where it's not worth the time investment?

Naniyue

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2024, 09:29:31 PM »
  Funny enough, time isn't the issue. Heck, I recently sunk a couple days worth into Fallout New Vegas again, and I could easily play the original Diablo again right now from scratch.  I just don't find putting that time into JRPGs in particular that fun anymore.  I will make my way through more of them, as I believe I've said before, but in my own time.  I even have a list of them I'm going by.

But yeah, I guess that's about it.  Thanks for the feedback, nonetheless.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2024, 11:02:35 PM by Naniyue »