Author Topic: TG16 topping the VC charts!?  (Read 2007 times)

akamichi

TG16 topping the VC charts!?
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:11:08 AM »
Came across this article today.  I was pleasantly surprised.  :D

Although it's not official in any kind of way, it's still nice to know that people are buying TG VC games. :)

- akamichi

guyjin

Re: TG16 topping the VC charts!?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 04:59:28 AM »
i suspect that at least part of the popularity of the turbo VC games is the fact you can play them without a classic controller. I also suspect Bomberman '93 will be among the most popular games for a while, or at least once most wii owners can get 4 controllers.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:46:11 AM »
Wow, that's awesome! Guyjin makes a good point though about the controllers, but hey who doesn't love Bonk?
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

esteban

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 09:24:13 AM »
Came across this article today.  I was pleasantly surprised.  :D

Although it's not official in any kind of way, it's still nice to know that people are buying TG VC games. :)

- akamichi
Yeah, it's nice to see that TG-16 is getting some exposure now. I just hope that folks continue to check out TG-16 games when the choices grow exponentially.

As I said in another thread, it would be great if Nintendo / Sega / Hudson posted some statistics on Wii's VC downloads. For example, even if they don't want to release the raw numbers, they could provide percentages and rank the games by title / by console.

UPDATE: It seems that the article you linked to has been dugg.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 04:18:10 PM by stevek666 »
  |    | 

Black Tiger

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 10:10:55 AM »
Wow, that's awesome! Guyjin makes a good point though about the controllers, but hey who doesn't love Bonk?

Commies!   :x

I like how the Joystiq article uses a screenshot from the NES Bonk and how so many snerds on the Digg post are relating the VC TG-16 success to 'fact' that the TG-16 and Bonk are crappy and rip-offs.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 10:18:26 AM by Black_Tiger »
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

guyjin

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 10:28:52 AM »
Wait, there was a NES bonk?  :shock:

i guess i didn't look closely enough at the picture...

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 10:31:50 AM »
Wait, there was a NES bonk?  :shock:

i guess i didn't look closely enough at the picture...

You didn't know they ported Bonk to NES!? :D It's a pretty decent port, though not as good as the original. http://bonkzonk.com/game.ktn?Game=fcg
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 10:35:44 AM »
There's also 2 Bonk games for Gameboy. They all look pretty good from what little I've seen.

Dark Fact

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 01:32:43 PM »
One of the comments in that Joystiq article made a very good point: one of the bigger reasons why people are downloading TG16 games more than Nintendo and Genesis.  Unlike Nintendo and Genesis, Hudson doesn't repackage their games for newer consoles every 5 years.  The TG16 games were only released once on the TG16 and never repackaged for future consoles.

Let's also not forget about the excellent multiplayer opportunities for Bomberman '93 and Dungeon Explorer. :wink:

It leaves me thinking that maybe...just maybe, the TurboGrafx-16 will regain its long lost popularity within the mainstream video gaming community and perhaps even surpass it. :)

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 03:11:31 PM »
It's a possibility and I hope it's true.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 03:58:47 PM »
Unfortunately it is Nintendo's policy not to release games on the VC that weren't originally released in the same country, so we can't expect to get a lot of the PC Engine games that would help boost people's opinions of the console by 12x.  If CD games were allowed (along with imports), then people's opinions would increase 174x.  It won't take them long to run out of "TurboChips".

Keranu

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 04:23:07 PM »
Joe always has the precise number calculations on hands in all of his posts :) .

Black Tiger

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2007, 06:44:32 PM »
Unfortunately it is Nintendo's policy not to release games on the VC that weren't originally released in the same country, so we can't expect to get a lot of the PC Engine games that would help boost people's opinions of the console by 12x.  If CD games were allowed (along with imports), then people's opinions would increase 174x.  It won't take them long to run out of "TurboChips".

Yeah, but Nintendo switches policies as fast as there's a new oppotunity to make a fast buck. If they run out of Turbochips, but it's been lucrative, then the VC boarders will open up, probably both ways.

Odonadon

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 04:51:41 AM »
One of the comments in that Joystiq article made a very good point: one of the bigger reasons why people are downloading TG16 games more than Nintendo and Genesis.  Unlike Nintendo and Genesis, Hudson doesn't repackage their games for newer consoles every 5 years.  The TG16 games were only released once on the TG16 and never repackaged for future consoles.

Let's also not forget about the excellent multiplayer opportunities for Bomberman '93 and Dungeon Explorer. :wink:

It leaves me thinking that maybe...just maybe, the TurboGrafx-16 will regain its long lost popularity within the mainstream video gaming community and perhaps even surpass it. :)

But is the VC popular with the mainstream gaming community (I have no idea)?  That has to happen first :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

guyjin

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 04:53:09 AM »
What do we have that Japan doesn't? a slightly different version of magical chase? Startropics II? seriously, what?