Author Topic: I Got a SuperGrafx - Questions  (Read 412 times)

KingDrool

I Got a SuperGrafx - Questions
« on: December 08, 2006, 09:18:01 AM »
I picked one up today at a local shop.  Check it out:

So there were, what, five, six games for this thing, right?  Was Darius ever released, or was that a prototype?  And where are some good places online (other than eBay) to buy the games?

Thanks!
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Black Tiger

Re: I Got a SuperGrafx - Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 10:05:42 AM »
I picked one up today at a local shop.  Check it out:

So there were, what, five, six games for this thing, right?  Was Darius ever released, or was that a prototype?  And where are some good places online (other than eBay) to buy the games?

Thanks!

Darius Plus was released and can be found brand new/sealed on eBay for around $30. It works on both PC Engine and Supergrafx. When played on SGX, most of the boss flicker is eliminated.

This place is supposed to be pretty good-

http://www.japangamestock.com/buy,import,videos,games,japan.html
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 10:16:18 AM »
Whoa, what local store did you find that at? (I found some Super Grafx games at a local classic gaming store last October)
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

termis

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 03:24:18 PM »
You can get yourself the Super CD-ROM2 system (the grey piggyback model), then you got yourself the ultimate PC Engine.

And put a region switch and an Arcade Card Duo/Pro on top of that, and you got yourself a system that'll play every single PCE/TG game that was ever released.

The only problem with the above setup is that if you do the above, you get yourself a system that takes up a helluva lot of space.  I actually have that setup, but I keep it in storage (and may be even up for sale soon), and use the Duo for the most part just because the duo by itself so much more sleek and space efficient, and I can give up playing a few SGX games.

KingDrool

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 07:22:20 AM »
Whoa, what local store did you find that at? (I found some Super Grafx games at a local classic gaming store last October)

I got it at this place:
http://www.cedarcliffcollectibles.com/

It's by far my favorite store in the Twin Cities.  I only discovered them a few months ago, but since then I've spent hundreds of dollars there. 

Regarding the setup, I'm not a big fan of modding Turbo/PC Engine stuff.  I like to keep those consoles in the way they were originally released; especially the US stuff since they're becoming so hard to find.  I guess I'm just anal about that stuff.

Anyway, I think I might pick up Darius and Battle Ace, since they're both relatively cheap.  It looks as though GnG is around $50, which isn't horrible but I already have about 10 copies of that game.
Games I Need: Bonk 3 (HuCard), Legend of Hero Tonma, Magical Chase, Soldier Blade, Super Air Zonk.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Black Tiger

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 01:01:49 PM »

I got it at this place:
http://www.cedarcliffcollectibles.com/

It's by far my favorite store in the Twin Cities.  I only discovered them a few months ago, but since then I've spent hundreds of dollars there. 

Regarding the setup, I'm not a big fan of modding Turbo/PC Engine stuff.  I like to keep those consoles in the way they were originally released; especially the US stuff since they're becoming so hard to find.  I guess I'm just anal about that stuff.

Anyway, I think I might pick up Darius and Battle Ace, since they're both relatively cheap.  It looks as though GnG is around $50, which isn't horrible but I already have about 10 copies of that game.

Battle Ace isn't worth it (as a game), not even at mint complete for $5.

GnG/Daimakaimura is pretty cheap and should be easy enough to find on ebay between $20 to $40 depending how complete it is.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

KingDrool

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 03:08:08 PM »
Heh, yeah.  I just played Battle Ace via Magic Engine and came to that conclusion myself.  Yeesh.  But I ordered Darius through JapanGameStock (using the TEAMFREMONT500 discount, of course).  I probably will pick up GnG, simply because I love that series and the SuperGrafx version rocks.

Got one to sell? PM me!

termis

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 03:48:07 PM »
I probably will pick up GnG, simply because I love that series and the SuperGrafx version rocks.

BUT IT'S NOT ARCADE PERFECT!  [-(

Nah, but I've been thinking about pickin' it up myself, but with other versions floating out there, I'd rather not pay a lot for it...

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 06:48:42 PM »
Hey I always thought Battle Ace was kind of cool from initial response. Granted I haven't really tried playing it much. Compared to Falcon, it was a masterpiece to me.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kakizaki

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 10:14:56 AM »

I heard about these guys when I was working at the GS in Shakopee a few years back. Unfortunately I had always heard their games were slightly overpriced so I never bothered to check them out. Too bad. I wonder how long the SuperGrafx sat there.

KingDrool

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 03:11:11 PM »
Only a month, actually.  The moment I saw it I knew I had to have it.  I just had to gather some stuff to trade in.

The prices aren't too bad.  Some stuff is a bit excessive, but I think for the most part they're quite fair; especially compared with eBay.

Got one to sell? PM me!

Kakizaki

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 02:29:16 AM »
The only example I really had, was what a coworker had told me. We were just comparing prices on a complete and mint copy of Dragon Warrior IV that I had purchased off ebay versus what they were charging for a copy of DW IV.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 05:23:11 PM »
You can get yourself the Super CD-ROM2 system (the grey piggyback model), then you got yourself the ultimate PC Engine.

And put a region switch and an Arcade Card Duo/Pro on top of that, and you got yourself a system that'll play every single PCE/TG game that was ever released.

The only problem with the above setup is that if you do the above, you get yourself a system that takes up a helluva lot of space.  I actually have that setup, but I keep it in storage (and may be even up for sale soon), and use the Duo for the most part just because the duo by itself so much more sleek and space efficient, and I can give up playing a few SGX games.

How rare is that CD Rom anyways?  I have it, along with a 2nd Supergrafx(because, after I got my SG, another one popped up WITH the CD Rom, had to have it!).

termis

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 04:29:51 AM »
How rare is that CD Rom anyways? 

I bought mine while I was in Japan.  Though I'm not the authoritative word on it, though they do seem to be rarer than regular briefcase systems, but it's not an impossible find.  If I walked into a random used video game shop, they'd usually have things like briefcase systems and duo-r's in stock, but not these piggyback models. 

I ended up getting it through yahoo auction japan - and I had to wait a few weeks to get the right one price wise (I actually got a fan-frickin-tastic deal).  It usually had about one or maybe two active auctions at a time for this type of system - just to give you an idea of the market in Japan - http://list4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/2084005248-category-leaf.html

There's one listed now, but the description say that he's throwing it in as a *bonus* and *hasn't been tested* (though he's selling it with a coregrafx with bunch of cd-rom games), so I'm assuming it's not in working order.
http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e62079770

I have it, along with a 2nd Supergrafx(because, after I got my SG, another one popped up WITH the CD Rom, had to have it!).

Heh - same story why I got extra systems.  I just wanted the SGX+SSCD-ROM2 system because I already had a Turbo Duo, but I got SSCD-ROM2 system, a CoreGrafx II came along.  Then when I got my SuperGrafx, I got a non-working PC-Engine Duo thrown on the side, and when I replaced the CD pickup on that Duo, it worked like a charm :dance:  (and that Duo eventually became what is regularly hooked up to my living room TV). 

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 03:07:19 PM »
You know, not to brag, but, I got a killer deal on both my SG's.  Cuz both ended up coming with some pricey games that I already owned, like Spriggan & Winds of Thunder among others, which I turned around & sold on ebay, & made up, what I had spent!  Good times!