Author Topic: Wii games look like "ass" on HDTV's myth  (Read 1080 times)

Michael Helgeson

Re: Wii games look like "ass" on HDTV's myth
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2006, 03:54:42 AM »
Well,considering Power VR2 was fully Direct X 7 spec the 360 and PS3 are about 3 Direct X generations ahead yea the new stuff is looking better,but I agree with Keranu that it isnt worldy better. The jump is bigger,but mostly because of Pixel Shader support being advanced further and fill rates going way higher then the Power VR and Voodoo 5/Geforce 2 GTS days.

For people out of the loop its possible to get Doom 3/Quake4 and Half Life 2 to run on a Voodoo 5. Problem is Voodoo 5 doesnt do enviromental bump mapping so areas of the games glitch out or look plain,plus the game runs slow. If the driver support was there it would also be possible to do the same on a Kyro/Power VR card,esp considering this card Does support Enviro Bump mapping. But alas the Kyro cards do not have the following the 3DFX stuff does.

All that being said the most important things being done hardware wise on 360 and PS3 are pixel shader work and higher res graphics then 640x480-800x600. Considering that and considering Ive been heavy into pc gaming since the beginning of 2001 trough all the hardware advancements I am truely not blown away by 360 and PS3. Ive been playing games in 1280x1024 on up for years now with Pixel Shader 2-3 support and compared to what Ive been playing and on what hardware Ive been using the new game systems are doing nothing special.

Then again if your not a pc gamer and all you do is stick to consoles I can see how youd think the leap from a Dreamcast and PS2 or Xbox to a 360 and PS3 would be big as you missed a generation at least of Direct X hardware upgrading and had to settle for lack luster pc ports.

grahf

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 06:17:32 AM »
Yes, of course they did.  They had that one game....  ummmm....  yeah.  Oh yeah it was called "Top Gear" and it set the world on fire with its awesomeness.
Top Gear 2000 was f'in awesome. I love that game.

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2006, 11:16:34 AM »
Well,considering Power VR2 was fully Direct X 7 spec the 360 and PS3 are about 3 Direct X generations ahead yea the new stuff is looking better,but I agree with Keranu that it isnt worldy better. The jump is bigger,but mostly because of Pixel Shader support being advanced further and fill rates going way higher then the Power VR and Voodoo 5/Geforce 2 GTS days.

For people out of the loop its possible to get Doom 3/Quake4 and Half Life 2 to run on a Voodoo 5. Problem is Voodoo 5 doesnt do enviromental bump mapping so areas of the games glitch out or look plain,plus the game runs slow. If the driver support was there it would also be possible to do the same on a Kyro/Power VR card,esp considering this card Does support Enviro Bump mapping. But alas the Kyro cards do not have the following the 3DFX stuff does.

All that being said the most important things being done hardware wise on 360 and PS3 are pixel shader work and higher res graphics then 640x480-800x600. Considering that and considering Ive been heavy into pc gaming since the beginning of 2001 trough all the hardware advancements I am truely not blown away by 360 and PS3. Ive been playing games in 1280x1024 on up for years now with Pixel Shader 2-3 support and compared to what Ive been playing and on what hardware Ive been using the new game systems are doing nothing special.

Then again if your not a pc gamer and all you do is stick to consoles I can see how youd think the leap from a Dreamcast and PS2 or Xbox to a 360 and PS3 would be big as you missed a generation at least of Direct X hardware upgrading and had to settle for lack luster pc ports.

Technically, every new generation is probably exponentially greater than the last. But that's part of technological evolution.

When it comes down to gameplay experiences and how visuals relate to gameplay(can I make out that pixelly blob from the rest), The jump from Atari'ish stuff to 8-bit consoles was a major one. We got most of our established genres then. But 16-bit was just more of the same, but with more detail.

The jump to 32-bit consoles gave us primitive 3D gameplay, which was another major step but still left room for the Dreamcast to give us the first solid distinguishable 3D graphics.

Since then, we're not really seeing anything that revolutionizes 3D gameplay. Most games still have straightforward environments and 3D characters running around. The improvements are mostly in the details.

I still think that the real next gen games like Gears Of War are amazing. Even though the original Playstation could do an ugly port of it that retains all the gameplay.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

Keranu

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2006, 11:28:43 AM »
I still stand by what I said, I still think the graphic leap is very small. To me it's like the jump between Coleco Vision to NES.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »
I still stand by what I said, I still think the graphic leap is very small. To me it's like the jump between Coleco Vision to NES.

Game system wise same here.

Black Tiger

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2006, 11:33:19 AM »

Yeah, but although the Collecovision rocked in the right hands, if you take the average Colleco game and the average NES game, thats still a fairly decent leap. Not that I don't think it's a good comparison.
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum