Author Topic: yay me  (Read 1245 times)

FM-77

Re: yay me
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 05:25:50 AM »
Wow. People like these kinds of games. But of course, you speak japanese.

If not: why?

...Why? :shock:

Keranu

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 12:24:03 PM »

Because they're hilarious :D .
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 04:58:39 AM »

Because they're hilarious :D .

Keranu hits the nail smack dab on the head.  I can't say that I've extensively played any of these games (as I lack the language skills), but they're good for a laugh every now and again.  If any digital comics / dating sims (naughty or not) are translated, I'll give 'em a shot.  I doubt that they would be entertaining enough to play through in one sitting, but nonetheless would make a good diversion. :wink:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 07:15:03 AM »
My PC-FX showed up today!~!!

However, I still don't have any games for it. :(

Anyone have any titles they'd like to sell?

Kitsunexus

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2007, 11:01:23 AM »

Because Pia Carrot helps me to polish my carrot.

nat

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 03:56:03 PM »
So I just picked up a batch of PC-FX games:

Battle Heat
Return to Zork
Last Imperial Prince
that Far East of Eden FMV-Fighter
Can Can Bunny DX
Welcome to Pia Carrot
Chip Can Kick
Team Innocent
Anime Freak Vol 2

Early thoughts:

Battle Heat & that other FMV-Fighter- These are the first FMV fighters I've ever played. I don't really understand the controls at all. From looking at the manual(s), I can see the button combos for different moves. What I'm confused about is exactly when and how you're supposed to execute these moves. Do I wait until the animation of my opponent finishes? Do I hold the buttons down for a duration of time? I just don't get it. I can't seem to get my player to ever do anything except get their ass kicked. In time, I can see these games being a lot of fun if I can figure out the controls.

Can Can Bunny & Pia Carrot- While the Hentai thing is kinda cool, these are way too wordy for my lacking Japanese. Actually, I was able to muddle through Can Can Bunny to a certain point where I was getting quized by a cute anime chick. I was able to pick out some of the correct answers, but I think you have to get a perfect score for something "good" to happen. The intro leading up to that section, however, lasted like 20 minutes with lots of spoken dialogue I can't seem to skip. I didn't really pick up on much of anything that was going on, either. Pia Carrot I was even less successful with. I think I'll wait until the translation patch is released for this one (should be before the end of the year AFAIK) before giving it another go.

Team Innocent- Haven't really given this one any time yet. I hear it's one of the best FX games. We'll see.

Return to Zork- I was always a fan of the original text adventure on my computer when I was a kid. I remember when this sequel came out on the PC but I never played it before now. First-person graphical adventure in the same style as Myst. This really doesn't require any advanced Japanese skill at all. All the signs are in English as are most menus-- there is a little Japanese dialogue dubbed over the American actors but that's it. Looks like this might be one of the early favorites.

Last Imperial Prince- Awesome game. No advanced Japanese needed. For some reason this game reminds me of Anearth Fantasy Stories from a technical viewpoint (plot-wise it's completely different). It's similar to the battle sequences from that game, except the whole game is like that. It's 100% side-scroller (ie, no overhead viewpoint). Lots of in-game text in English. Definitely an early favorite, and recommended to any FX owner.

Chip Can Kick- Probably the highlight of the group. Think Bubble Bobble III: Parasol Stars with two little girls, Chip and Chap, instead of the Bub and Bob boys. Of course, the graphics are a bit prettier (we're talking 32-bits here!!) and the music kicks ass. You'll have a hard time putting this one down. Until you reach the boss of level 1 who's a mean son of a bitch. I find it hard to believe/highly suspicious that Taito was not involved in this game. The company that holds the copyright is a company called "Hyper Tech Custom" or something like that. Is this some division  or sister company of Taito? I'm thinking along the lines of Telenet/Alfa System/Laser Soft/etc here (which are all the same group). If not, I'm surprised there was no lawsuit over this game. All that aside, this is a must-own for FX owners, especially if you like any of the Bubble Bobble games. Get yourself a copy of this today.

In summary- The fighters hold a bit of promise, but until I figure out the control technique, these will remain very low in my game-play rotation. And with all the games I'm involved in right now, it doesn't bode well for them. The two Hentai titles are going to remain shelved until either patches are released or I can find a walkthrough. Or my Japanese skills improve. A quick Google search doesn't reveal any kind of walkthrough for either one. I know there is a guy working on the Pia Carrot patch and he said last month he's 80% finished so hopefully we'll see that soon. Imperial Prince, Chip Can Kick and Return to Zork are going to get the most play for now. These three feel like very solid, quality games and I'd definitely recommend them. I haven't even taken the shrinkwrap off of Anime Freak 2 yet but I'm not sure that really qualifies as a game. Team Innocent is next in line for a test-drive, at this point.

FM-77

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 02:43:02 AM »
What kind of game is Last Imperial Prince?

GUTS

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 08:25:34 AM »
Wait until you play Last Imprerial Prince for a while, the battles get amazingly boring REALLY fast.  I couldn't stand how there would be 30 enemies (of which you can only see a few so you have no idea how many there are total) lined up Kung-Fu style at the other end of the screen while you battle 1 at a time for half an hour.  I gave up about an hour in because the battle system was so bad, it's a shame too because the rest of the game seemed really interesting.

nat

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 09:04:13 AM »
What kind of game is Last Imperial Prince?

Side-scrolling action-RPG.

Wait until you play Last Imprerial Prince for a while, the battles get amazingly boring REALLY fast.  I couldn't stand how there would be 30 enemies (of which you can only see a few so you have no idea how many there are total) lined up Kung-Fu style at the other end of the screen while you battle 1 at a time for half an hour.  I gave up about an hour in because the battle system was so bad, it's a shame too because the rest of the game seemed really interesting.

Yeah, I've noticed a bit of that already. It's not too horrible, though, IMO. The battle system in Anearth Fantasy Stories is only mildly better. The battles in that game seem to last a little on the long side, too, the further you get. But at least you can see everyone you're dealing with and attack more than just one enemy at a time. Still, I don't think LIP's battle system is bad enough that I wouldn't recommend it.

GUTS

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 07:43:36 PM »
Yeah but Anearth has tons more strategy since you have multiple character fighting at once and you can use lots of different attacks/magic.  Last Imperial Prince you just jump and attack over and over, that's why I got sick of it really quickly.  If only you could have done some street fighter style moves or something, that would have made it way more interesting!

nat

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 08:49:49 PM »
:)

True. Maybe things get more interesting further into the game? Haven't played it a WHOLE helluva lot yet.

Team Innocent- Finally got to play a bit of this game today. I must admit, I was sucked in. I couldn't put it down; the drive to keep pressing further was ever present. This is a good thing. The graphics are really nice for 1994. Definitely has the "32-bit" feel. In fact, I like the graphics in this game far better than the early, jagged polygon crap that plagued systems like the N64. Folks with no Japanese skills could manage along just fine in this one. So far the only enemies I've encountered are little rat/hog hybrids. Lots of space to explore. At this point I would rate this a must-have for any PC-FX owner. The only let down thus far was during a part where Seki takes a shower. The camera cut away just before showing "the goods".  :lol:

FM-77

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 02:14:48 AM »
What kind of game is Team Innocent?

Keranu

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 07:53:58 AM »
It's a awesome space station version of Resident Evil. Though I hated RE's controls, I managed to get used to Team Innocent's, maybe I'm just biased :P . My favorite part of Team Innocent is the amazing quiet space atmosphere. The soft music and graphics really build up a lot of suspsense.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

nat

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 08:25:50 AM »
Yes. The two are very similar in style but Team Innocent uses sprites for your character and for enemies instead of crappy mid-90's polygons.

I don't mind the control in Team Innocent, but I think that's one game where having a thumbstick or joystick would be real helpful. I think that's the only time in history I've ever said that.

Does anyone know if any joysticks were made for the PC-FX?

Kitsunexus

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 09:20:14 AM »

Awesome animation, it looks like the Tenchi Muyo people/Pioneer were behind it...