Author Topic: PC-FX: Polygon Capable?  (Read 2480 times)

Kitsunexus

PC-FX: Polygon Capable?
« on: May 14, 2007, 02:27:35 PM »
So we all know this pic of SSS3D:

But is it real? It looks to be about the level of the Namco System 21 hardware, however like in the case of SEGA CD Silpheed it can be easily faked.

What do you think?

As for me, I want to believe it's real, but the simple fact that FX Fighter had to be FMV makes me skeptical.

Keranu

Re: PC-FX: Polygon Capable?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 03:29:39 PM »
Well it could be possible since from what I know any system can do polygons, but it sucks up all the hardware which can make it run really slow and barely have any shading. There are a few Genesis games that show off real polygons (can't remember their names, they were mentioned in the Ranger X thread) and looked awful, so with the more powerful PC-FX hardware it could be possible. Or maybe this game used that unreleased 3D card thing.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

GUTS

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:55:58 PM »
I doubt its real, although that screenshot doesn't really look much better than Virtua Racing on Genesis so it might have been possible.

handygrafx

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 05:55:07 AM »
NEC's 32-bit console was in development for over 4 years, a long time for a console to be in R&D in those days.

that picture is realtime polygon graphics generated by the Project Tetsujin board aka IronMan
aka Hudson 32-bit board from 1992,  basicly the early PC-FX when it was going to have some level of 3D polygon capabilities.  Hudson & NEC did away with / scrapped the polygon capabilities, and instead improved the FMV playback quality, for the final system.

see this thread for more detailed info on the changes the PC-FX went though during its development.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 05:57:12 AM by handygrafx »

FM-77

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 06:54:55 AM »
I wonder why they didn't make it capable of handling 3d? A strange decision.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 08:02:59 AM »
Easy question - $$$

NEC wanted to cut costs to be price competitive with the Saturn and the PlayStation (which was still cheaper).  Unfortunately, they weren't competitive by any other measure.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 09:23:41 AM »
NEC's 32-bit console was in development for over 4 years, a long time for a console to be in R&D in those days.

that picture is realtime polygon graphics generated by the Project Tetsujin board aka IronMan
aka Hudson 32-bit board from 1992,  basicly the early PC-FX when it was going to have some level of 3D polygon capabilities.  Hudson & NEC did away with / scrapped the polygon capabilities, and instead improved the FMV playback quality, for the final system.

see this thread for more detailed info on the changes the PC-FX went though during its development.

Sweet. Thanks! :)

FM-77

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 10:23:58 AM »
Ah, I get it then. They wanted it to be a failure. Good move.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 11:17:43 AM »
They gambled and lost big time.  They must have thought that 3D was nothing more than a gimmick and that gaming would remain 2D.  Definitely not the sharpest knives in the drawer.  ](*,)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Kitsunexus

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 11:25:37 AM »
They gambled and lost big time.  They must have thought that 3D was nothing more than a gimmick and that gaming would remain 2D.  Definitely not the sharpest knives in the drawer.  ](*,)

See also: Sega Saturn

handygrafx

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 12:19:12 PM »
I weap everytime I read these old EGM Quarterman Gossip columns

May 1990

June 1992

Kitsunexus

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 01:34:53 PM »
EGM Quarterman

Notice why he's not in the new editions of the magazine? BECAUSE 95.7% OF THE TIME HE WAS FULL OF SHIT.

I wish I could find his "Sega is releasing a Halo-Killer" rant for you guys, it's pure hilarity.

It's dumbf*cks like him that make video gaming journalism not taken as serious.

GUTS

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 03:37:07 PM »
He still has a monthly column in EGM, and he actually is right more often than not.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 03:45:01 PM »
EGM SUCKS!

Tatsujin

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 06:13:03 PM »
So we all know this pic of SSS3D:

As for me, I want to believe it's real, but the simple fact that FX Fighter had to be FMV makes me skeptical.

if the PC-FX would use FMV to show the upper pic, it would look in minimum a 100 times better than that. i'm sure it's fo'real. and not that impressive though, since even a SFC with FX-chip could handle this few polygons.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 07:52:22 PM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^