Author Topic: VC: Why TG-16 and not PCE in Europe?  (Read 3719 times)

Monster Bonce

Re: VC: Why TG-16 and not PCE in Europe?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2007, 04:44:59 AM »
And another thing: who is the VC for, exactly?

Nostalgic fools (arguably) like myself or a new audience? I'm not sure. Obviously it's really just a cheap revenue stream and to be a "success" it doesn't have to sell that many games. Still... who is it aimed at, exactly?

Golgo13

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2007, 04:48:50 AM »
From living in both America and Europe, Id really have to say that Europe has less when it comes to games, they get most games last and a lot of stuff just does not come out.  The NES fever never reached the same fever pitch as it did back in the states, no matter what some swede or dutchman says about "We had NES too".  It's just behind when it comes to consumer electronics, generally they don't want the latest stuff and every gadget and gizmo that comes along, as is more common in the US and Asian markets.

Certainly it varies alot from country to country, some of these countries didnt exist in the 80's, like the so called "Macedonia" which is really just a bunch of gypsies and bulgarians latching on to a new name to sound cool to the western europeans.  As a general rule, when we were playing NES back in america, the eastern europeans were wiping their ass bare handed.

Monster Bonce

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2007, 05:09:24 AM »
Europe does lag behind in games, true, but not in consumer electronics generally. It's way ahead of North American in terms of mobile phones, digital radio and digital TV, for example.

Macedonia was part of Yugoslavia which was a very advanced Eastern Bloc country. But yes, in general the Eastern countries were not playing Nintendo.

Re the NES, remember that the Sega Master System and local European 8-bit computers had a big head start.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:16:55 AM by jmwalsh »

Golgo13

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2007, 05:11:54 AM »
The only reason europe was ahead with the mobile phones, was because they had a single standard, where in the US they had 3 different standards which really f*cked everything up.

Golgo13

« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2007, 05:12:58 AM »
And whatever popularity the Sega Master System had, it wasnt shit compared to the power nintendo had in the 80's in america, there is no comparison.

nat

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2007, 05:26:06 AM »
And whatever popularity the Sega Master System had, it wasnt shit compared to the power nintendo had in the 80's in america, there is no comparison.

This is true. There was a motion in 1989 to replace the current US government with Nintendo of America based out of Redmond, WA, and rename the union "United States of Nintendo".

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2007, 05:28:22 AM »
And another thing: who is the VC for, exactly?

Nostalgic fools (arguably) like myself or a new audience? I'm not sure. Obviously it's really just a cheap revenue stream and to be a "success" it doesn't have to sell that many games. Still... who is it aimed at, exactly?

I think that it's aimed at the nostalgic fools and the casual gamers looking for something simple and easy to play (much like some of the online content for the 360 and PS3).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

FM-77

« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2007, 06:11:28 AM »
Europe does lag behind in games, true, but not in consumer electronics generally. It's way ahead of North American in terms of mobile phones, digital radio and digital TV, for example.

Has 3G been launched in North America yet? It's been around in Europe since 2003 I think.

Monster Bonce

« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2007, 06:18:05 AM »
The only reason europe was ahead with the mobile phones, was because they had a single standard, where in the US they had 3 different standards which really f*cked everything up.

It's not as simple as that. Ridiculous US pricing schemes were also a hindrance to wider adoption. However, standards were an issue. That's also why the US lags behind in DTT and digital radio—the laissez faire approach makes buying into a new technology going out on a limb.

Also Europe has very advanced manufacturers of mobile phones we didn't have to wait on US or Japanese cast offs like we've had to with some other forms of consumer electronics (viz. video games).

Someone in America can confirm this but I'm sure 3G is available in the US. I've had 3G phones here in Europe for a couple of years—at least since 2004 or 2005—and I still haven't found a use for it. Actually, I can't stand mobile phones.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 06:19:50 AM by jmwalsh »

Golgo13

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2007, 06:21:58 AM »
Mobile phones really don't matter in the end, as long as they don't cut you off when your trying to talk to some girl your trying to bang, I don't really care what kinda phone it is.  I heard in Italy, many guys switch out the simcards in their phones, based on different girls or sets of girls, for example, you would have one sim card for your friends and family, then another sim card for your girlfriend, and then another sim card for the girls your banging on the side and don't want your girlfriend to know about.

Monster Bonce

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2007, 06:25:02 AM »
I severely doubt that's restricted to Italy. Sounds like common sense to me.

Golgo13

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2007, 06:28:17 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA, yes well your right, but I live in Holland right now, (only 2 more weeks left) and guys here aren't sharp enough to think of this type of thing, nor do they even have the desire to, they are too busy sitting around drinking beer and wearing shirts that only gay guys in america wear to think about the complications involved with getting more than 1 girlfriend.  Besides most girls have a hard time being impressed by a dutch guy, with them always asking girls to pay half the bill on a date the guy asked her for.  In america we even had a word for it called "Go Dutch"

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2007, 06:46:01 AM »
Is this the shirt you're talking about?  :lol:
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Golgo13

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2007, 06:51:53 AM »
Heheheheh, not exactly, its just more like a tight fitting pink shirt, jeans and some expensive leather shoes with a paper thin sole on them and a stripe.  Its very important what brand it is, even though its all made in the same chinese sweatshop anyway.  The thing here is its not gay guys who dress like that, its just he "Normal" Dutch guys, but if they came to my neighborhood in Staten Island, they would be subjected to alot of shit talking and maybe even a possible beating.  Actually they would be shocked to find out how politically incorrect most parts of NY outside manhattan are. 

They want to think its some kind of tolerant sunshine and gumdrop land like they see on TV.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 06:53:31 AM by Golgo13 »

Monster Bonce

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2007, 06:52:37 AM »
Accusing Nederlanders of being misers is not a US-only phenomenon. Everyone thinks the Dutch are tight.

Actually it has a historical reason. Holland, as it then was, was an early pioneer of trade. More aristocratic countries like France and Britain looked down upon trade as beneath them. Such a view was particularly prominent in Catholic countries where the crown tended to have a grater grip on power. The Huguenots were France's best craftspeople and, as a result, traders. Until they were all kicked out.

Even in Protestant England the conflict existed, though. The aristocratic Tories (conservatives) relied upon land as both capital and surplus value whereas the Whigs (liberals) tended toward trade. "Trade" was an insult flung as people like Captain Vancouver, for example, because of his familial background. Traders were considered to be money grubbing, petit bourgeois bastards—and not without reason.

I never thought any of this would come up in a discussion about the PC Engine. See—the moral panickers in the 80s were wrong: games don't make you stupid.

A friend of mine is married to a Dutch person. I think she might be a bit of a miser. Mind you, he's a lazy, waste monkey.

There could be a correlation between the clothing and the monogamy. Who knows...

They're also famous for tiny beers with huge heads and bland food. Still, I like the Netherlands. Are you working there or just loafing around?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 07:01:33 AM by jmwalsh »