Author Topic: Tokyo Game Show 2007 thread!  (Read 1105 times)

SignOfZeta

Re: Tokyo Game Show 2007 thread!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 11:03:20 AM »
You think for a game show of this caliber they would at least have a classic gaming room or booth.   :-k Though maybe with the Wii out they will have something for the old 16 Bit Consoles.

I think you misunderstand the point of things like TGS, E3, whatever. They are all there for the single purpose of shilling current releases to the media. They don't care about stuff that is out of print.

Thats just one reason why things like this suck.

For actual fun, and worship of games (rather than the billions of $ they rake in) check out MAGFest, etc.

ceti alpha

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 02:40:12 PM »
I think you misunderstand the point of things like TGS, E3, whatever. They are all there for the single purpose of shilling current releases to the media. They don't care about stuff that is out of print.

Yeah, I guess I must miss the point.  :lol: Just seems silly to not show how games have evolved over the years.

When and where is MAGfest? What other gaming conventions are there?

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

SignOfZeta

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 03:25:07 PM »

Yeah, I guess I must miss the point.  :lol: Just seems silly to not show how games have evolved over the years.

When and where is MAGfest? What other gaming conventions are there?

Well, fan based gaming conventions aren't as common as Doctor Who, or Star Trek, or anime cons, or whatever. There aren't very many. There is the Classic Gaming Expo (Vegas), MAGFest, (DC), the Midwest Gaming Classic (Milwaukee, and home of Turbo Fest) and probably the Penny Arcade Expo, although I don't know much about those.

Its also worth pointing out that the "game rooms" at modern anime conventions are absolutely huge as hell, and pretty much game cons inside the anime con, so if you can stomach the slimy anime ota outside until you get to the slimy game ota inside, you might want to go to something like Otakon.

Stuff like TGS is basically a huge multi-advertisement. Its fun if you enjoy listening to ads on the radio. All the real fun you'll have at a place like that will be at the parties, and the parties are much better at these fan oriented events.

You can Google these yourself, but its probably obvious to you by now that absolutely nothing happens near where you live. :)

ccovell

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 04:14:06 PM »
You think for a game show of this caliber they would at least have a classic gaming room or booth...
...Halifax, Nova Scotia
What, they don't spell it as calibre in N.S.?   :P

Anyway, last year there was a small classic gaming display that had a lineup of many 8 & 16-bit systems from Japan, and gamers could play some classic games on about 8 systems...  I remember a few people were lining up to play Sonic 1, etc.  But yeah, the rest of TGS is like E3, but with less silicone & peroxide.

ceti alpha

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 04:17:20 PM »
You can Google these yourself, but its probably obvious to you by now that absolutely nothing happens near where you live. Smile

Haha!! As a matter of fact I have noticed. But thanks for rubbing it in.  :P

I have to say I do miss living in Ontario and BC for access to stuff like that. There are Sci Fi/Fantasy/Gaming conventions here but they are few and far between and on a smaller scale.

What, they don't spell it as calibre in N.S.?   Razz

hehehe  :P

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 06:44:33 PM »
Yup, I should be going to TGS on the Saturday.
Bastard! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :lol:

Well, I do live in Japan, after all.  No need for the envy.  Tokyo's a 3-hour train ride away for me.

Uh-oh, I know what this's going to provoke:

Yup, I should be going to TGS on the Saturday.
Bastard! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :lol:
Well, I do live in Japan, after all.  No need for the envy.  Tokyo's a 3-hour train ride away for me.
Bastard! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Indeed!  Naw, but I kid.  It'd be cool to go, there are still games that come out that I enjoy, just not as often as the old days.

ccovell

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 04:03:39 PM »
Alright, the Game Show is coming up!  If anyone wants to meet up at/after the show on Saturday, PM me.

Tatsujin

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 04:38:20 PM »
Do you stay the night on saturday till sunday in tokyo? There is a cave shooting event in the legendary hey arcade in akiba, which we can visit as well. unfortunately i only visit the TGS at friday, but may be able come up to the town at saturday night.
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

Pcenginefx

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 10:51:38 AM »
I didn't go to TGS this year (sob)...went last year with my wife.  The single best thing about TGS isn't the games, but the smoking hot japanese babes.  OMG.  I have my photos if people want to see them..I think one was holding a Ys fan.....
//Aaron
Owner/Creator of PCENGINEFX.com

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 11:13:01 AM »
Must....see....pics....  =P~
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

nat

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 11:29:13 AM »
I didn't go to TGS this year (sob)...went last year with my wife.  The single best thing about TGS isn't the games, but the smoking hot japanese babes.  OMG.  I have my photos if people want to see them..I think one was holding a Ys fan.....

Aaron, why were these not available for viewing last time I stopped by? Was it because your wife was there?  :wink:

Pcenginefx

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 11:52:38 AM »
Hahah...my wife is cool with me oggling (sp?) Asian hotties....hell, we even watch naughty videos together..but that is a topic for another thread!

...and pics will be posted soon...
//Aaron

Pcenginefx

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 08:27:22 PM »

The Ys girl wasn't the best looking but this was just to show that she was holding an Ys fan (which I still have).  Below you can download 107 photos of the booth babes and some cosplayers that I took from TGS (2005 I think)...all in high rez.

The best girls IMO were the Tecmo, SNK (YUM!), Xbox 360 and "temp 435.jpg" which was the only Koei girl I could take a photo of because I pretty much fainted after having her gaze into my camera she was so hot.

https://www.pcenginefx.com/temp/tgs_girls.rar (56MB .rar)
//Aaron

Kitsunexus

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2007, 08:42:16 PM »
Japanese girls half of the time aren't sluts like American girls, and to me, that's a positive quality. Go figure.

ccovell

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2007, 04:03:08 AM »
Japanese girls half of the time aren't sluts like American girls, and to me, that's a positive quality. Go figure.

That could definitely be open to interpretation, and argument.  Perhaps not sluts, in the sense that it takes more dates to sleep with them, but for many Japanese girls, boyfriends are more like f*ck friends, quickly and nonchalantly dumping their current boyfriends if a better looking wallet match comes along.  You can weigh that against the higher sense of devotion/fidelity there might be, IMO, in western girls.  Of course, YMMV.