Author Topic: CDROM2 and Super CDROM2 games for Wii?  (Read 4629 times)

ceti alpha

CDROM2 and Super CDROM2 games for Wii?
« on: September 09, 2007, 10:03:28 AM »
*sorry if there is already a thread on this topic. i couldn't find it if it's there*

I was just wondering if there is any news or rumours floating around in regards to CD or Super CD games coming out for the Virtual Console. Are there any technical limitations with the Wii that would prevent this from happening?

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Turbo D

Re: CDROM2 and Super CDROM2 games for Wii?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 10:19:56 AM »
Not yet that I know of, but someone said that a pc engine cd game was released for xbox virtual console in Japan.

ceti alpha

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 10:23:36 AM »
Not yet that I know of, but someone said that a pc engine cd game was released for xbox virtual console in Japan.

That's cool.

turbofan1

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 05:12:19 PM »
I read somewheres where they said Neo Geo cd`s would be available to the virtual console in japan But not here in the US yet.And I cant really confirm that either.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 06:27:04 PM »
I read somewheres where they said Neo Geo cd`s would be available to the virtual console in japan But not here in the US yet.And I cant really confirm that either.

That wouldn't really make any sense unless it was a Neo Geo CD exclusive, which there aren't many of (I can only think of three). Its basically just all around better to emulate the carts.

As for NEC CD games, there aren't any technical reasons it can't be done. When most American's think of the Turbo Grafx, they think of the HuCards, but in Japan the CDs were pretty friggn popular so I think eventually they'll want to get on that. Hard to say though since as great as Nintendo is, they can be inexplicably lame at times (see Mother 3's Japan-only release), and as great as Hudson was...they aren't anymore (see the last dozen Bomberman games), so it might just stay HuCard forever. We'll see.

turbofan1

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 07:01:53 PM »

That wouldn't really make any sense unless it was a Neo Geo CD exclusive, which there aren't many of (I can only think of three). Its basically just all around better to emulate the cart

Yeah my bad.Guess I must of read that wrong  ](*,).Yeah its the cart games not the cd`s.But I think they will be released world wide.

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 09:23:34 AM »
There was an old rumor before the Wii was out saying that PCE CD games would also come out for the VC (this was after the announcement of PCE HuCard support) and another rumor was that you could actually play your PCE CD games in the system, but that doesn't work when you try it. I think there is a possibility, but not so likely. I remember hearing a couple months back that there was going to be an external hard drive for the Wii, which would make downloading CD games a heck of a lot easier. Who knows, maybe when they run out of HuCard games they will look into bringing out CD games.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 11:00:40 AM »
I don't see the need for an HD. Any PCE game will fit into 40-60MB or so if the audio is compressed, and you could fit a shitload of those on an SD card.

Keranu

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 01:29:16 PM »
Good point, I forgot about the SD cards.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Turbo D

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 01:43:15 PM »
when you buy a virtual console game, do you get to download it to an sd card?  :-k Or is just a temporary thing until you are done playing?

ceti alpha

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 02:31:42 PM »
when you buy a virtual console game, do you get to download it to an sd card?  Think Or is just a temporary thing until you are done playing?

Good question. 

SignOfZeta

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 03:27:07 PM »
Its not temporary. Well, everything is temporary, but its as permanent is...iTunes, for example.

I might be wrong, but I think you can't actually play them from the SD card, but you can back them up there. I don't know since I don't have a Wii.

Odonadon

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 04:45:32 PM »
Its not temporary. Well, everything is temporary, but its as permanent is...iTunes, for example.

I might be wrong, but I think you can't actually play them from the SD card, but you can back them up there. I don't know since I don't have a Wii.

You are bang-on - you can't launch anything off an SD card unless your Wii is modded.  Chances of Nintendo allowing you to play games off it is... probably zilch :)...at least right now.  Possibilities of pirating are too great. 

I also doubt we'd see downloadable CD games - the Wii has barely more than 400megs built-in as far as I recall, and it takes a ridiculously long time to download a tiny VC title (took maybe 20-30 seconds to download Super Mario Bros. - at that rate a CD game will take days).  Nintendo would also need to have the infrastructure to fire out ~100mb files on demand to an ever growing userbase.

It'd be f*ckin' awesome if this were to happen though!!! :)

OD
http://www.turbo2k.net - the truly Turboist of all Turbo sites.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 05:49:41 PM »
Well they have already confirmed Neo Geo VC releases, and I'm pretty sure the later titles are around 70MB or so. I'm pretty sure Dracula X would be half that size, of that, as long as they MP3ed the music.

The actual game data of even the hugest PCE CD is incredibly small. Much much smaller than, say, N64 games, which they are already doing.

The technical side is a non-issue as I can see it. Its really just a matter of willingness, and that is truly up in the air.

Turbo D

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 05:51:21 PM »
I doubt it will happen