Author Topic: Ys 1-2  (Read 2939 times)

nat

Re: Ys 1-2
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2008, 02:28:27 PM »
At some point I want to play through this copy of Ys for the Apple IIGS I've had sitting here forever, untouched.

It just seems like it'll be odd to play Ys on a computer.

Arjak

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2008, 04:47:53 PM »
That's pretty ironic considering it originally came out on computer! Oh well, now a whole generation can play what 1UP.com called one of the top ten most boring games of all time.

Idiots. It was obvious that the writer didn't even play long enough to understand the combat or get into the story. It's amazing how juvenile some game reviewers act.

I love Ys. I'm a member of FM-77's Ys forum. Falcom rules. End of story.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2008, 04:49:08 PM »
If you have it for your PCE then why bother?  I was excited about Ys on VC, but then realized I could play it right now on my real Duo and not even have to worry about emulation.  Besides, would you have ever though of playing a PCE game on a NINTENDO console back in the day?  Something just seems wrong to me about that.  Now for something like Dynastic Hero I can make and exception.  $8 or $200...hmmm let me see...

Don't forget that there was a time that Nintendo was supposedly looking at releasing the PC Engine in the US, but backed out.  It sounds wierd, but, I remember hearing about this over the years.  That would've been wierd, we would've had Mario games on the Turbo...

Keranu

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2008, 06:04:09 PM »
If you have it for your PCE then why bother?  I was excited about Ys on VC, but then realized I could play it right now on my real Duo and not even have to worry about emulation.  Besides, would you have ever though of playing a PCE game on a NINTENDO console back in the day?  Something just seems wrong to me about that.  Now for something like Dynastic Hero I can make and exception.  $8 or $200...hmmm let me see...

Don't forget that there was a time that Nintendo was supposedly looking at releasing the PC Engine in the US, but backed out.  It sounds wierd, but, I remember hearing about this over the years.  That would've been wierd, we would've had Mario games on the Turbo...
From what I know, Hudson Soft originally tried having Nintendo sell their PC Engine system since they were good "friends" on the NES, but I guess Nintendo declined. So NEC took over instead.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

TR0N

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2008, 07:07:51 PM »
Simple moving parts and any thing disc based will break down in the end.

Beside i could keep that wear and tear down for my duo-r.

Other i like to have it on the vc for any time i don't feel like digging out,my pce to play it.

Btw i've down loaded DH as well for the vc.

It's great being able to play it in english without spending a fortune for a copy of it.

Yeah it is weird playing a,TG16 game on the wii.That's like when sega became a third party and there games show up on a nintendo consoles.

Heck they used to be rivals too.

PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

doczoidberg

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2008, 03:01:37 AM »
 I've been waiting for months for Ys to be released on the Virtual Console....
 I never got to play it back in the day, and I can tell that it's exactly my kind of game.

WHY, NEC, with all the delays?

TR0N

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2008, 09:37:49 PM »
I've been waiting for months for Ys to be released on the Virtual Console....
 I never got to play it back in the day, and I can tell that it's exactly my kind of game.

WHY, NEC, with all the delays?

Most guess it's the talent or maybe a "license issue" who knows btw it's,Hudson that's handling the,TG16 titles for the VC not nec.

You can read about the Ys serise more at this site.
http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/ys/ys.htm

sideshow

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 06:44:43 AM »
I see the game listed as a 8/4/08 release on the VC.  Who wants to bet it gets postponed again?

doczoidberg

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 04:20:08 PM »
 I have wanted to play Ys ever since it was first released, like, 15 years ago....
 And now (supposedly), it's being released on my friggin' birthday.

Couldn't be more appropriate.

The pessimist in me is expecting something to happen to screw this all up. I'm betting that my internet craps out for some reason on Monday.

By the way, how exactly are we supposed to pronounce the name of this game? I always say "Wise", but I've heard other people say "Ease".

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 06:20:46 PM »
I see the game listed as a 8/4/08 release on the VC.  Who wants to bet it gets postponed again?

Power of positive thinking - it will be released on time!

By the way, how exactly are we supposed to pronounce the name of this game? I always say "Wise", but I've heard other people say "Ease".

It's pronounced as ease in the intro. cinema, so that's what I stick to.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

TR0N

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2008, 03:35:12 PM »
Yeah i seen that if does get out then  :P Given how noa has been giving the shaft,for u.s owners lately. While europe and japan get more release for the vc.

Dark Fact

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 12:32:46 PM »
Well, Ys got delayed.  Maybe tomorrow will look more optimistic? :|
Quote from: Necromancer
It's pronounced as ease in the intro. cinema, so that's what I stick to.
You pronounce it as E-S.  Standard singular "E" pronounciation and non-stressing "S".

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 05:34:51 PM »
You pronounce it as E-S.  Standard singular "E" pronounciation and non-stressing "S".

Indeed.  I also like to follow that up with 'the ideal utopia':)
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Arkhan

• Fuck Elmer.
    • Incessant Negativity Software
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2008, 07:49:21 PM »
At some point I want to play through this copy of Ys for the Apple IIGS I've had sitting here forever, untouched.

It just seems like it'll be odd to play Ys on a computer.

I have it for the PC!  Adol looks like Chewbacca.  The DOS music is epic!  *boopboopableepdoop*

Personally I think the virtual console blows anyways.  You get no book/case, and you end up with a downloaded file for X amount of $$ that you can't even let your friends borrow because it's tied to your Wii system which has limited memory, and could also fail at any moment. 

Not to mention, playing old games on a battery powered remote is idiotic! 

That and it's annoying to constantly read about all the Turbo bashing in magazines and on sites because the reviewers are dopey and grew up playing Mario Kart and Sonic only because they weren't cool enough to have a TG back in the day. 
[Fri 19:34]<nectarsis> been wanting to try that one for awhile now Ope
[Fri 19:33]<Opethian> l;ol huge dong

I'm a max level Forum Warrior.  I'm immortal.
If you're not ready to defend your claims, don't post em.

Dark Fact

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2008, 03:11:45 PM »
Quote from: Arkhan
That and it's annoying to constantly read about all the Turbo bashing in magazines and on sites because the reviewers are dopey and grew up playing Mario Kart and Sonic only because they weren't cool enough to have a TG back in the day.
Gamer's loyalty was a thing that the TG-16 really had going against it back in the day.  I can't even begin to describe the number of Nintendo and Sega loyalists who were gung-ho about their consoles and proceeded at every opportunity to slam the TG.  You look at it in retrospect and you could see how pathetically sad it really was. :(

Sorry, but I don't see your library card on the books of Ys.  Now, RETURN THEM TO ME!!!