Author Topic: Getting real  (Read 1208 times)

guyjin

Re: Getting real
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 09:13:28 AM »
you could try one of the gamers in lincoln.

http://www.gogamers.com/gogamerscom/index.php?id=stores

the quoted price for a NES is 34.99, 49.99 with a new connector. they don't seem to have toploaders.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 09:16:04 AM by guyjin »
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

nat

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 09:14:58 AM »
Check out your local thrift stores, I've found some there for like $1-3. Having a blinking connector is actually kind of fun because you have to master the art of loading NES games by very specific means of blowing on the cartridge and adjusting it inside the NES just right.

That's good and all, but the fun ends quickly when you nudge the controller cable just a little too hard, moving the NES and causing your game screen to start looking like a strobe light.

Truthfully, the originally NES is more of a novelty item and shouldn't be used for regular gameplay when there are other more reliable alternatives. That said, I do own one, but I rarely us it. I use the NEX instead.

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2007, 09:41:39 AM »
Check out your local thrift stores, I've found some there for like $1-3. Having a blinking connector is actually kind of fun because you have to master the art of loading NES games by very specific means of blowing on the cartridge and adjusting it inside the NES just right.

That's good and all, but the fun ends quickly when you nudge the controller cable just a little too hard, moving the NES and causing your game screen to start looking like a strobe light.

Truthfully, the originally NES is more of a novelty item and shouldn't be used for regular gameplay when there are other more reliable alternatives. That said, I do own one, but I rarely us it. I use the NEX instead.
Sometimes NES' can be picky like that, but funny enough when I play World Class Track Meet on the power pad, the NES won't even glitch! :D Sometimes it can get pissy by tapping it, but it has no problem with two people pounding the floor with their feet.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2007, 09:57:08 AM »

Turbo D

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007, 10:05:15 AM »
If I was going to get one of those funky clones, I would try the fc twin. It seems pretty cool, haha. Has anyone had any experience with them? Oh, one more thing; Has anyone tried plugging a disk system into the nex???

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 10:32:40 AM »
Alot of people knock the first units,the front loaders,but even without changing out the 72 pin connector I have no problems with the decks. I have 4 decks. Only 1 has a new pin set,which was already in it before I got it.

The other 3 are originals. Basically if you want to insure trouble free use keep all the carts pins really clean,and take apart the Nes and remove the pin section and wash it out good with hot steamy dish washer,and dry out well right after doing so.

While its removed take some time to use a cart you don't like,and insert it into the pin bridge back and forth with alcohol applied to help loosen any extra grime that the washer didn't get. Clean the Nes cart pins and repeat. Put it all back together and you should have little if any problems from then on.

Also,disabling the 10Nes chip will get rid of the blinking problem. After that the worst you should get is the standard blank grey screen from a dirty cart or  a poorly made one that doesn't line up just right,but thats rare from a top clean and cared for condition collection.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 10:39:08 AM »
Also,disabling the 10Nes chip will get rid of the blinking problem. After that the worst you should get is the standard blank grey screen from a dirty cart or  a poorly made one that doesn't line up just right,but thats rare from a top clean and cared for condition collection.

Interesting...so by playing some old Tengen games you (for the moment) fix your NES? Cool.   8)

Turbo D

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 11:07:13 AM »
I think he means cutting it from the pcb  :-k

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2007, 11:18:41 AM »
I think he means cutting it from the pcb  :-k

If I remember right its the 4th pin,you just cut it. I disabled it on all my decks.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2007, 11:22:11 AM »
http://www.raphnet.net/electronique/nes_mod/nes_mod_en.php

Its found on this page incase anyone needs a guide with pics.

nat

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2007, 11:23:13 AM »
Get a NEX.

No.

That article is a load of shit-- I've read it before. I'm not even sure if that was supposed to be serious. Either they made half that shit up, or they received a prototype console.

Turbo D

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2007, 11:27:40 AM »
Thanks for the cool link Micheal  :)

Kitsunexus

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2007, 11:33:02 AM »
That article is a load of shit-- I've read it before. I'm not even sure if that was supposed to be serious. Either they made half that shit up, or they received a prototype console.

That is serious, 100% fact, that guy doesn't lie like that. He was an early adopter, and maybe the later NEX consoles are better, but it's still an NOAC and I won't touch that over a real NES.

Also, I would never let someone else talk about you like that because you are my friend. Benj is also my friend. Don't talk about him like that.  :x

nat

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2007, 12:11:33 PM »
Also, I would never let someone else talk about you like that because you are my friend. Benj is also my friend. Don't talk about him like that.  :x

Well, I don't know what to tell you. I own a NEX and 90% of what he said about it is either extremely exaggerated or simply not true. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the sound, for one thing. It plays every NES game I own, except for the unlicensed Tengen carts, and my NES collection isn't exactly small.

For example, he goes on about how bad the compatibility is. As already indicated earlier, they provide a game compatibility list on their website, and guyjin posted a list a few messages back. There's like 10 games out of thousands that it won't play. Big f*cking whoop! If there were only 12 games available for the NES, that would be one thing. But there's not, there's thousands. And out of the 10 it won't play, the only game of consequence is Castlevania III. That's pretty damn good if you ask me. He claims the "colors on all games" seem "a little strange." He also says this is "huge bummer". If this is the biggest bummer he's got going on in his life, I'd love to hear his secret. Either way, again, not true-- there are like 2 colors in a handful of games that are slightly lighter or darker shades of what they are on an original NES. A casual gamer would never notice, and honestly you have to be in a pretty anal retentive mood to nitpick that. If it bothers you, you can do what I did and have special video setting preset on your TV that corrects for it. To be honest, the only reason I ever noticed was because I read that article before buying one and therefor was looking for the inconsistencies he mentioned.

I could go on and on, but most of the article is hogwash. It's too bad he's your friend, but the fact remains that most of what is written there is misinformation. It's not 100% fact, unfortunately, since my NEX doesn't have the issues his supposedly did. Maybe the early models were crappy or something, who knows.

About the only thing he hit on the head was the pack-in controllers it comes with sucking. But that's no big deal-- you can use any NES-compatible control device with it.

It's a killer console for what it is (a NOAC), but a genuine top-loading NES is probably the pinnacle of NES gaming (as long as you mod it for A/V out).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:13:34 PM by nat »

WoodyXP

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2007, 12:32:07 PM »

All clones are rubbish, IMO.  But if you're gonna get one make sure it's a NEX.  It's
the least rubbish of them all.