Author Topic: "Gunhed" High Scores  (Read 6304 times)

Phase

Re: "Gunhed" High Scores
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2014, 01:05:16 PM »
The eyeball midboss is the best place in the game to grind for points that I've found so far.
It is also a good spot to rack up -continue from the same spot-Orbs.

Here is a hint for the other place. I forgot to mention it can be done in three locations during the game the last being quicker.

I got to thinking about the bosses above and found another one just now but its even slower to get points (hes in the game twice)

And also the last boss you can toy with too though its pretty hard. shooting missiles and also the red rings can get you points. guess its easier with certain weapons but if you remembered how many continue orbs you got it may be worth a few lives.

Ninja16608

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2014, 06:16:58 AM »
Yeah I knew about the last boss, pain in the arse and not enough points, My score was done with no grind at all (see video) so I wonder can you get to 14 without grind? not being shitty about your score because it's very easily beat with grind. I could tape my fire button down and sit at eyeballs for 3 days lol, but I wonder if it's really doable with playing normally?

Phase

« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2014, 12:06:26 PM »
The red rings on the last boss aren't too bad for points if you max out (II) + (F) and take out almost all the rings each time then its about 1000 points each time but it is hard to get to the last boss with that weapon maxed out and then staying alive is a challenge.

Yeah I wonder if there is a way to make 14 no grinding. Are we counting the first boss trick in level 1 and 9? Also I would have to get a capture card or something and start trying. what do you use to capture? I am downloading your video off of youtube now to check it out.

Maybe we should make some rules for the challenge like have to kill eyeballs in the first wave or something?

Ninja16608

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2014, 06:12:42 PM »
I use my pc with fraps, I do own the original but trying to record on a cam and tube tv kinda sucks for scan lines. I have gone through the game and killed just about everything and still never hit the 14 mark, not that it can't be done. New challenge hit 14 with no grind :-)

Phase

« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2014, 06:35:02 PM »
 :-k I was thinking we can take down my score since I used boss grinding to up it.

Well I checked out your play-through Ninja16608 and thats a nice run. I see you used the boss trick which is fine and its pretty hard to pull off, although it does give a person a bit of an advantage but I think most people know about it. Was the run done on an emulator? I heard some computer noises in the recording.

What about making a serious score bracket with rules for this game?
example rules
1 One obvious rule is you can only die with a continue orb (if you die and go back to a check point you can up your score)
2 Eyeballs-one side needs to be killed in the first wave and the other side on the second wave. If the eyeballs open a third time then we can subtract it or something
-Should we allow the boss trick?
-What method should we use to capture the game? camcorder?
Any thoughts? Would anyone be interested in this or is it going overboard.

Edit: oops was typing when you posted lol
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:40:52 PM by Phase »

Phase

« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2014, 06:57:12 PM »
 :) Yeah I played some today and I don't think its possible to hit 14 mill :-k

Ninja16608

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2014, 05:42:34 AM »
The boss trick only gives the advantage of bombs, the lives are useless because you can't get enough orbs to keep gold ships to support them all. As far as the points go it seems that you only get what you would have got for killing it. I have run through since then killing them both times and my score was around the same give or take a few hundred points. With out the trick you can only get 16 bombs (plenty if ya ask me)  gonna try another run tonight to see if I can pass my old score using the set rules :-).  I agree there should be come kind of control on the scoring system to prevent outrageous scores due to grinding.

Phase

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2014, 10:10:24 AM »
I thought the boss trick gives you an extra 100,000 points plus the 50,000?
would have to recheck the level 9 since i never checked that

before you make a serious run can you think of any other rules we should add?

I was checking out gamefaqs for codes and there is an invincible and hard mode I was going to check out
Invincible I looked at just now and it would be easy to tell if that is in use because you cant sustain damage or die
and it would be pretty hard/impossible to make it through the game without being hit once.

Gonna see if I can get hard mode working in a bit.

esteban

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »

I thought the boss trick gives you an extra 100,000 points plus the 50,000?
would have to recheck the level 9 since i never checked that

before you make a serious run can you think of any other rules we should add?

I was checking out gamefaqs for codes and there is an invincible and hard mode I was going to check out
Invincible I looked at just now and it would be easy to tell if that is in use because you cant sustain damage or die
and it would be pretty hard/impossible to make it through the game without being hit once.

Gonna see if I can get hard mode working in a bit.

When you beat the game on easy (default, I think), wait until the ending credits finish. Space junk keeps falling in space....BAM! A special code will flash on screen.

There are several modes (from hazy memory):
Easy human
Normal dog
Hard _______
God of Game

God of Game is awesome. Tons of faster bullets. It breathes new life into the game, since it actually becomes challenging.

|    | 

Phase

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2014, 06:23:20 PM »
Yeah I'll say its challenging.  a robot from the future would have a hard time in this mode  :-k
that would be another good challenge beating one of the harder modes

Well maybe we should just go with no boss trick
Heres what I got so far.

Blazing Lazers Ultra Challenge
Rules
1-Must be played on original hardware
2-Recorded with camcorder (make sure the score is in focus)
3-Normal Mode (no codes obviously)
4-No boss trick (no letting the boss named TriClops live in level 1 and level 9)
5-Can only die with continue gels (Spheres) (No deaths where you restart)
6-Eyeballs mid-boss on level 4 must be killed by third wave. (if you let the third wave happen on accident it can be subtracted)
7-No boss grinding for points
8-Pause the game after you kill the last boss when “Area-9 Clear” is shown and take your camcorder and get close up of score and also may be good to show game is in system and system conections anything to further prove every thing is legit. Also a good time for a picture for forum.

Make sure the score is readable because we may do a breakdown of score level by level for fun
let me know if you can think of any other rules we should add.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:44:50 PM by Phase »

Ninja16608

« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2014, 08:13:27 PM »
The only thing I would say is the original hardware rule. Not everyone has it for the hardware, and I know some world records are held using an emu, in fact I believe I read that here somewhere. Not that I don't like the TG controller, but I find I do better with my xbox 360 controller hooked to the PC (LARGE HANDS) when I was a kid the TG controllers were great and they still are but I have become so used to the bigger controllers :-) but really it won't matter GAME ON!!!!!!

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2014, 02:53:53 AM »
Methinks you two should start a separate thread for your convoluted scoring rules.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Ninja16608

« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2014, 07:52:14 AM »
Convoluted? there has to be some kind of rules lol else I would have 40 trillion points. A little tape and sit at the eyeball mini boss for 4 months.

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2014, 08:16:10 AM »
You obviously don't understand how high-score competitions usually work.
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Phase

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2014, 09:02:14 AM »
You obviously don't understand how high-score competitions usually work.
If you have any input on what we should do Its still open to suggestions. (nothing is set in stone yet)
Methinks you two should start a separate thread for your convoluted scoring rules.
yes I'll probably start a new thread here shortly.

The only thing I would say is the original hardware rule. Not everyone has it for the hardware, and I know some world records are held using an emu, in fact I believe I read that here somewhere. Not that I don't like the TG controller, but I find I do better with my xbox 360 controller hooked to the PC (LARGE HANDS) when I was a kid the TG controllers were great and they still are but I have become so used to the bigger controllers :-) but really it won't matter GAME ON!!!!!!
Hmm imo its gotta be on the original hardware, I can think of a few ways to screw around on emulators. Most people on this forum should have the the real game. plus it seems more like a level playing field
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 09:41:16 AM by Phase »