Author Topic: 3DO - Hated, Loved, Feared?  (Read 2897 times)

ParanoiaDragon

Re: 3DO - Hated, Loved, Feared?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 10:31:58 PM »
I agree, the only decent thing to come out of Rare post Nintendo, is Perfect Dark Zero, which I have yet to play, I just hear it's ok.  But, even though I'm not a big FPS'ist (I made a new word!), I LOVED the original Perfect Dark, so, yeah, I had to get the prequal.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 04:38:04 AM »
I loved the 3DO. To me it had the most interesting titles,and yea pretty much the best version of Mega Race. Crash and Burn was great also,infact any Cristal Dynamics titles were top notch. I had no probs with Gex on 3DO,and rather ran it instead of the Saturn or PSX one. I didnt notice any jerky movement to be honest. Always played the 3DO in s-video too.

Some of my very fav titles for the system are Road Rash,NFS,D,Crash and Burn,heck,all the Cristal Dynamics titles really,Way of the Warrior (yes I can do the combos,special moves, and fatalities just fine),Bust a Move,Samurai Showdown,Super SF2 Turbo,Trip'd,Star Blade,Burning Soldier,Strale,Guardian War,Primal Rage,Wolfenstien 3D,Out of this World,FlashBack,Mega Race,Syndicate,Shockwave series,esp part 2,Wing Commander 3 and Super Wing Commander,Demolition Man,Return Fire, Panzer General,Slayer, and many others.

Thats  a system I never tire of. I am going to have to pick one up again soon. Its been  a couple of years since I last had  a couple of decks, back when I was with my ex,and she always complained of space and my hobbies.....bad memories....  :P

guyjin

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 06:04:45 AM »
I'm always amazed you people are up so late. I'm in the Pacific Time Zone which means it's earlier than anywhere else in the lower 48. It's after 1am here which means it must be 2, 3, 4am where you people live. What the f*ck is wrong with you?!?

I have a 2nd shift job - from 1 to 9 pm, central time. I'm not a morning person, so I've gotten in the habit of waking up at 10 or 11 AM and going to bed at 2 or 3.

The 3D0 interests me. I keep meaning to pick one up (right after that 7800); I'm sure it can't be worse than the playstation. But it can't be as good as the Saturn.

The 360 is a decent system. Not as good as the Wii, of course, but good. There are a few of it's live arcade games that I'm sure most of you would love (geometry wars, pac man CE, and Castlevania:SotN) and a few discs too (Wartech:senko no ronde, Dead Rising, and idolm@ster, if they ever bring it over.)
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

SignOfZeta

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 07:31:31 AM »
The 3D0 interests me. I keep meaning to pick one up (right after that 7800); I'm sure it can't be worse than the playstation. But it can't be as good as the Saturn.

I hate to break it to you but the 3DO, no matter what anyone says here, was a piece of a shit, and it still is. The only game I can imagine playing on it in the year 2007 is Return Fire (and the Maps of Death expansion) because I prefer the iconic Willys MB to a stupid Hummer in the PS version.

I'm a hardcore Saturn fan and I didn't buy my Playstation until 2002, but the truth is that the system had such a massive library that it accidentally ended up hosting, at the very least, 30-40 good titles, which is ten times the quality library of the 3DO.

People who defend the 3DO are the same sort that defend the Jag (although even the 3DO is better than the Jag, if for no other reason that it having Policenauts). It takes a severe politically motivated slant to defend garbage like that. Even the games that were in fact worth playing at the time, such as SSFIIX, SamShow, and Policenauts were later (or previously) made availible on other systems as superior versions. SamShow has horrible sound for some reason, SFII has no parallax, etc.

Also, that virtual house game as the worst loading time of any game on any system in history.

If you'd like a list of PS exclusive games a Saturn lover would totally dig:

Gunners Heaven (JP)
Super Robot Wars Alpha (JP)
Love and Destroy (JP)
Zeta Gundam (JP)
The Italian Job (US)
Any of the Gundam Battle Master/Battle Assault series. I would recommend the US release, Gundam: Battle Assault 2.
Choro Q 3 (or 1, or 2 for that matter)
The entire Point Blank series
Eretzvaju (JP)
Power Shovel (I think there is a US release)
Remote Control Dandy
Touge Max G (JP)
Asuka 120% Burning Fest. Final (JP)
Gamera 2000 (JP)
Tobal 2 (JP)
RC Stunt Copter (US)
RD de Go! (US)
I.Q. Intelligent Qube (I think there is a US version, not sure)

And a crapload more. Notice I didn't mention Turismo, FF, RE, or any of that other shit. Those are all PS exclusive (I think) and if a US version was available I mentioned it except for Eretzvaju because the US version sucks.

BTW, I was just looking around at this stuff and noticed that evidently a PS version of Radikal Bikers, a game I loved in the arcade, was released in 1999. That is news to me. I'll have to see if its any good...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 07:33:15 AM by SignOfZeta »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 08:06:01 AM »
Most of the titles I listed were done best on or are 3DO exclusives,and Sam Sho 1 on PS1 import Sam 1/2 collection was not as good  a port over all. The 3DO one was handled much better. Super SF 2 Turbo was ported over well in a SF Alpha 2/SSF2 set for Saturn and PS1,but regardless of this the 3DO one was nice,the paralax being the only flaw,and that is a minor gripe.

I totally respect your opinion on how YOU feel about the games,but that doesn't make the games we like for the system complete garbage. Its just a matter of differing opinions.  The only way a person will know for sure if they likes the stuff or not is to try it themselves,not to take everyones word for it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 08:07:37 AM by Michael Helgeson »

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 08:19:09 AM »
If you'd like a list of PS exclusive games a Saturn lover would totally dig:

Gunners Heaven (JP)
Super Robot Wars Alpha (JP)
Love and Destroy (JP)
Zeta Gundam (JP)
The Italian Job (US)
Any of the Gundam Battle Master/Battle Assault series. I would recommend the US release, Gundam: Battle Assault 2.
Choro Q 3 (or 1, or 2 for that matter)
The entire Point Blank series
Eretzvaju (JP)
Power Shovel (I think there is a US release)
Remote Control Dandy
Touge Max G (JP)
Asuka 120% Burning Fest. Final (JP)
Gamera 2000 (JP)
Tobal 2 (JP)
RC Stunt Copter (US)
RD de Go! (US)
I.Q. Intelligent Qube (I think there is a US version, not sure)

A good example of what I said would be how on this list of yours the only titles I like are Tobal 2,Asuka 120,and Gunners Heaven. The other titles you listed gave me no enjoyment at all...just shows how much opinions and likes of titles can differ.

WoodyXP

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 04:05:37 PM »

The 3DO for what it is today is pretty decent, IMO.  It's cheap fun.. for $50 you can get a system and a little
pile of games and go at it.  Cheap fun is good... ironically this is what turned me on to the 3DO.  :lol:

SignOfZeta

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2007, 05:20:01 PM »
Most of the titles I listed were done best on or are 3DO exclusives,and Sam Sho 1 on PS1 import Sam 1/2 collection was not as good  a port over all.

Yes, that is why I referred to multi-platform games on 3DO that, "...were later (or previously) made availible on other systems as superior versions". "Previously" being the case here with SamShow. Until the PS2 collection comes out (Is it ever coming out? Did it already come out?) there still hasn't been a good port of SS1. Hilariously at the time the Neo Geo was actually a cheaper system than the 3DO. Nowadays an MVS or AES cart of SS1 can easily be had for less than $10 (probably cheaper than a copy of the 3DO version) although the system will obviously cost you some real cash.

Was SS1 the Geo game that came out in the US at $99.99? Or was that KOF95. I remember there being a really good high profile game that cost $99.99 as some sort of attempt to actually sell AES carts. I can't remember what it was though.

Super SF 2 Turbo was ported over well in a SF Alpha 2/SSF2 set for Saturn and PS1,but regardless of this the 3DO one was nice,the paralax being the only flaw,and that is a minor gripe.

At the time it was a minor gripe (so is the sucky sucky music in the 3DO version) but now that really good versions of Super Turbo have been released for PS2 and XBLA (also the not-quite perfect PS, and SS versions) the 3DO one is basically worthless, isn't it? No, its worse than worthless because on the 3DO you are going to have to f*ck around trying to find a decent controller or build a 3DO stick since it is SF after all, and if you can't control it, it has no purpose.

I totally respect your opinion on how YOU feel about the games,but that doesn't make the games we like for the system complete garbage. Its just a matter of differing opinions.  The only way a person will know for sure if they likes the stuff or not is to try it themselves,not to take everyones word for it.

Yeah, whatever, my point is that the PS, as much of a harbringer of doom it was for 2D lovers like myself, has way way way more good games if for no other reason than the fact that it just has a shitload of games in general. If you actually, truly, enjoy crap like Road Rash more than Choro Q 3...I just don't know what to say.

And if you like Way of the Warrior at all...you just like crap. With a spoon even.

Do you like Fight for Life more than Virtua Fighter also?

Necromancer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 06:00:18 PM »
I like the 3DO now, but there's no way that I would've spent anywhere near $700 for a new one.  Sure it has a limited library, but the few gems that it does have are quite entertaining.

But the Micropenis is evil and doesn't deserve to be supported in any way.

I have equal disdain for all three companies.  Both Sony and Nintendo have a history of strong arming third party developers, and at least MS extended the warranties on the 360 (something Sony never did for the failure prone PS1 and PS2).
U.S. Collection: 97% complete    155/159 titles

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 06:28:48 PM »
Most of the titles I listed were done best on or are 3DO exclusives,and Sam Sho 1 on PS1 import Sam 1/2 collection was not as good  a port over all.

Yes, that is why I referred to multi-platform games on 3DO that, "...were later (or previously) made availible on other systems as superior versions". "Previously" being the case here with SamShow. Until the PS2 collection comes out (Is it ever coming out? Did it already come out?) there still hasn't been a good port of SS1. Hilariously at the time the Neo Geo was actually a cheaper system than the 3DO. Nowadays an MVS or AES cart of SS1 can easily be had for less than $10 (probably cheaper than a copy of the 3DO version) although the system will obviously cost you some real cash.

Was SS1 the Geo game that came out in the US at $99.99? Or was that KOF95. I remember there being a really good high profile game that cost $99.99 as some sort of attempt to actually sell AES carts. I can't remember what it was though.

Super SF 2 Turbo was ported over well in a SF Alpha 2/SSF2 set for Saturn and PS1,but regardless of this the 3DO one was nice,the paralax being the only flaw,and that is a minor gripe.

At the time it was a minor gripe (so is the sucky sucky music in the 3DO version) but now that really good versions of Super Turbo have been released for PS2 and XBLA (also the not-quite perfect PS, and SS versions) the 3DO one is basically worthless, isn't it? No, its worse than worthless because on the 3DO you are going to have to f*ck around trying to find a decent controller or build a 3DO stick since it is SF after all, and if you can't control it, it has no purpose.

Yeah, whatever, my point is that the PS, as much of a harbringer of doom it was for 2D lovers like myself, has way way way more good games if for no other reason than the fact that it just has a shitload of games in general. If you actually, truly, enjoy crap like Road Rash more than Choro Q 3...I just don't know what to say.

And if you like Way of the Warrior at all...you just like crap. With a spoon even.

Do you like Fight for Life more than Virtua Fighter also?

You are resorting to more of  a insult/attack now just because I wont agree with you. Why should we all like what you like? Why are you being so whiny when no one agrees with you? Why do you have such a problem with people who don't agree with you? Why would you continue to post in a 3DO thread knowing you will have few if any who will relate to you in any way or agree with you. Why why why...... :P Seriously,you have already stressed your point that you hate the system,now you sound like a broken record.

Every time 3DO comes up,you get all PMS about it.No,I don't like Fight for Life,it sucked hardcore and was unplayable,no matter what controller you used. I like Virtua Fighter quite a bit.More then Tekken infact. I also like Last Bronx and Fighting Vipers

I have no interest in adding a PS 2 system to my line up at the moment. I have a few PS 2 titles set away for later,when I decide to get a deck again. I like the Samurai Showdown 1 port on 3DO no matter what,regardless of owning it on NeoGeo,so your argument there is moot. I love the music on the SSF2 Turbo port on 3DO,so again your point is moot,its only your expressed opinion,it doesn't apply to everyone here. Road Rash for 3DO is a classic,and it played better on it then on PS1 or Saturn. The only real good port of it from 3DO to anything was on PC. Same for NFS.

I have no problem with the 3DO FZ10 pads for games,or the FZ-1 after I modify it for better thumb pad movement. The Goldstar pad I hate.

ParanoiaDragon

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 06:36:33 PM »
So far, SNK has released the Metal Slug collection (1-6), Art of Fighting collection,(1-3) & Vol. 1 of the Fatal Fury games(1-3).  There's plenty more to come, hopefully they'll keep bringing them out.  I hope the 2 Last Blades are on some collection as well, though I do have the 2nd one for DC.  But, the Last Blades & Samurai Showdowns are probably still my favorite fighting series.  One thing I doubt, but hope for, is the NGCD version of SSRPG, that would rock being in english, though, I would feel bad for Deuce who's been translating it for a patch.

I never could get into the Choro Q games, I tried, but, I just didn't like em.  I do however love Road Rash for 3DO.  It's probably my favorite Road Rash game.

MissaFX

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 07:04:22 PM »
Quote from: Michael Helgeson
I have no problem with the 3DO FZ10 pads for games,or the FZ-1 after I modify it for better thumb pad movement. The Goldstar pad I hate.

Why?  Mine have better d-pads than the Panasinic ones or my 6-button junk controller.  The Goldstar ones are a little stiff at first, but once you break it in, I sware it is most accurate and comfortable 3DO d-pad (at least that I know of).
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2007, 07:38:44 PM »
Quote from: Michael Helgeson

Why?  Mine have better d-pads than the Panasinic ones or my 6-button junk controller.  The Goldstar ones are a little stiff at first, but once you break it in, I sware it is most accurate and comfortable 3DO d-pad (at least that I know of).

I couldn't use it on any of the fighters. It wasn't comfortable at all for me. It was about as bad as using the pad that came with Zhadnost: The People's Party. I hated that pad too. I'm very picky about what types of game pads I will use.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2007, 07:44:02 PM »
Weren't the Goldstar pads the legendary ones that you had to slightly unscrew to stop being stiff? Was that a production error or deisgn flaw?

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2007, 08:23:43 PM »
Weren't the Goldstar pads the legendary ones that you had to slightly unscrew to stop being stiff? Was that a production error or deisgn flaw?

Actually it was some of the first FZ-1 pads that had that issue,but the trick was to unscrew the pads top area near the thumb pad,and insert a wedge of paper or cardboard in a area that wouldn't bother your hand. This would make the thumb pad much more lax and easier to use.

This trick did also work on the Goldstar and Zhadnost pad,but still didn't help the latter one much. These days with a dremel kit its easier to mod pads then it was in the early 90ies,as you have seen with my Nes Max pad.