Author Topic: SuperGrafx CD-ROM Cable Thingy  (Read 528 times)

nat

Re: SuperGrafx CD-ROM Cable Thingy
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 02:40:49 PM »
I wish I had an SG to send.

Are you considering buying one? Is that the reason for your interest?

I wonder why NEC went out of their way to make the US port different as well as the controller port?  They really REALLY did not want anyone having anything from Japan.

I heard it was more the other way around. They didn't want the Japanese folks getting their hands on American stuff because of the censorship some games underwent when they were localized here (Splatterhouse for example). They felt it would tarnish the Japanese public's view of the PC Engine. That's why they included the region lockout code that prevents American carts from working on Japanese systems even with a converter.

I guess they took it to extreme measures with the controller and expansion ports.

guyjin

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 02:49:02 PM »
I wish I had an SG to send.

I wonder why NEC went out of their way to make the US port different as well as the controller port?  They really REALLY did not want anyone having anything from Japan.

probably had something to do with them making more money.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

Bonknuts

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 03:15:18 PM »
Mike, you're using two power supplies with your SGX+SCD setup? I only use one.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »

Yea,the Super Cd-rom 2 power supply and the Supergrafx 1. The grey mini power bridge cable that goes from the Super Cd-Rom 2 to Coregrafx doesn't fit the Supergrafx.

Edit: Just tried using the Super Cd-Rom 2 power itself. Didn't power up. Did once I added the Supergrafx power supply. Like I said,the gray mini bridge power cable wont fit :( Just fits the Coregrafx :(
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 04:03:24 PM by Michael Helgeson »

Bonknuts

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2008, 04:00:04 PM »

Yea,the Super Cd-rom 2 power supply and the Supergrafx 1. The grey mini power bridge cable that goes from the Super Cd-Rom 2 to Coregrafx doesn't fit the Supergrafx.

I just snipped it and spliced in a SGX size compatible plug. Presto chango - single power cord.

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »
Ahh I see. Alas,I wont do this cause I don't want to ruin the mini cable as it stands,although that is a good idea.

Joe Redifer

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2008, 07:45:08 PM »
Quote from: nat

I'm not seriously considering it yet.  Here's the thing.  My TGCD interface unit is modded for RGB.  I don't want to have to play the SuperGrafx in composite.  If the SG can be hooked into the TGCD interface unit, then I get RGB video out as well as RCA stereo audio jacks.  Why should the SG video have to suffer compared to my TG video?

Michael Helgeson

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2008, 01:29:43 AM »
Quote from: nat

I'm not seriously considering it yet.  Here's the thing.  My TGCD interface unit is modded for RGB.  I don't want to have to play the SuperGrafx in composite.  If the SG can be hooked into the TGCD interface unit, then I get RGB video out as well as RCA stereo audio jacks.  Why should the SG video have to suffer compared to my TG video?

Agreed,and should not be impossible to do,as far as altering a RAU-30 goes,ect. If nothing else,could also pick up a spare dock station to use,mod it for RGB also.

nat

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2008, 03:01:27 AM »
It'd be a fun project anyway.