Author Topic: PSP Bomberman has gone gold - budget price!  (Read 1657 times)

Kitsunexus

PSP Bomberman has gone gold - budget price!
« on: January 11, 2008, 12:20:51 PM »
http://psp.ign.com/articles/843/843553p1.html

You can pick it up for $29.99! ^____^

Keranu

Re: PSP Bomberman has gone gold - budget price!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 07:07:58 PM »
30 bucks sure is budget for a portable game. :P
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Kitsunexus

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 09:10:43 PM »

Compared to $40-$50 for a PSP game it sure is. BTW, the article states that the Wii and DS versions will be $29.99 too.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »
So the shittiest handheld is also the most expensive to own...and the shittiest console, the PS3, is the same way.

Its like the 3DO never left us!

Maybe the horrible financial state of both of these systems is an indication that maybe people don't want to drop every last f*cking cent on games. maybe.

Maybe.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 06:30:22 AM »
So the shittiest handheld is also the most expensive to own...

If you owned a PSP, you'd know firsthand how shit it isn't, but until you do, shut your mouth. If I get flamed for criticizing a console without owning it, so should you. And on the slight technicality that you DO own a PSP, hmmm, I dunno, uhh BUY BETTER GAMES, PERHAPS!? The PSP hardware is awesome, it's completely your choice of software that determines the experience.

SignOfZeta

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 08:05:22 AM »
The PSP hardware is awesome, it's completely your choice of software that determines the experience.

The idea that I'd have to own a system before I know how good it is is silly. I have several friends with PSPs and they all just sit there never being used. I play their PSPs more than they do. Sometimes a good game comes out, they buy it, play the PSP for a while, then do back to the DS or GBA and play at least 5 games before another appealing PSP game hits the shelves.

There is no doubt that the hardware is awesome, especially the screen which I *love*, that's the reason it costs so f*cking much. When looking at a "system" though the hardware is just part of the equation, the games being 9/10 the "identity" of a system. For example, the Famicom was truly a piece of crap hardware-wise, but most people would say it was the greatest system of all time because of the software. The PSP is basically the anti-Famicom.

Keranu

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »

Compared to $40-$50 for a PSP game it sure is. BTW, the article states that the Wii and DS versions will be $29.99 too.
My point exactly. I think it's crazy that a portable game cost that much these days (same with 360 and PS3 games averagely costing $60).
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

SignOfZeta

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 09:33:02 AM »
My point exactly. I think it's crazy that a portable game cost that much these days (same with 360 and PS3 games averagely costing $60).

Well most PCE games cost $60-80 back in the day, US releases were usually $40-50, and that was as long as 20 years ago when you get could a VW Golf GTI for $13,000, gas was $0.75 a gallon, milk was $1.25, etc.

Adjusted for inflation games are far cheaper than they ever have been. Pac Man on 2600 was $50 when a meal at McDonalds was $1.50. Super Famicom and early Japanese N64 games were routinely well over $100, even US releases were pricey. Chrono Trigger was $82.99 at EB, and Gretzky hockey for  N64 was $80 without backup RAM forcing you to buy a memory card. Luckily I had a memory card because it came "free" with Wonder Project J2...which cost me $114!

The money doesn't matter to me, really, its the time. If I'm going to spend 45 hours on a Super Robot Wars game it doesn't matter if W on DS is $50 and MX on PSP is $60. What matters is that MX is a port of an old PS2 game, and W is an original title, and much more suitable for portable play.

I mean, just to clear a SRW game on PSP you'll have to recharge your battery 15 times at least, and that's by the 3 hour estimate discussed in another thread, which is better than anything I've seen in the real world. With a PSP you are pretty much chained to a power cord. It might as well be a PCE LT. For that matter you might as well be chained to a TV and be playing Bomberman Land 2 on Cube since the PSP version looks to be not as cool, and the Cube version can be had for $15.

nat

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 10:02:20 AM »
So the shittiest handheld is also the most expensive to own...

If you owned a PSP, you'd know firsthand how shit it isn't, but until you do, shut your mouth. If I get flamed for criticizing a console without owning it, so should you. And on the slight technicality that you DO own a PSP, hmmm, I dunno, uhh BUY BETTER GAMES, PERHAPS!? The PSP hardware is awesome, it's completely your choice of software that determines the experience.

Zeta is right. My feelings on the PSP pretty much parallel his. I love the design of the unit. The screen is awesome. But that's where the good stuff ends. I like the look of the Pippin too, but let's face it, it's next to useless. While the PSP is a little more useful than a Pippin, the DS (DS lite especially) is a far better handheld and has a far better library.

I suppose that's why there have been close to 70 million DS units sold worldwide and only 30 PSPs.

Kitsunexus

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 10:38:33 AM »
Well I like all my games, I mostly have puzzle games, fighters and classics collections. So to me, PSP is worth it.

MissaFX

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 07:21:25 PM »
Quote from: Kitsunexus

I have never, ever paid more than 30 dollars for any new PSP game.  One of my local stores always will carry any new game at 30 dollars or less.  Most I buy for 20-10 dollars.  I don't know who is paying 50 for a PSP game, I cannot think of one with this high a retail.  Some are 40 dollars new, at high priced stores.  If I cannot find it locally (like JPN games) play asia often will have what I need for 20 dollars as well. 
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Kitsunexus

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »
Quote from: Kitsunexus

I have never, ever paid more than 30 dollars for any new PSP game.  One of my local stores always will carry any new game at 30 dollars or less.  Most I buy for 20-10 dollars.  I don't know who is paying 50 for a PSP game, I cannot think of one with this high a retail.  Some are 40 dollars new, at high priced stores.  If I cannot find it locally (like JPN games) play asia often will have what I need for 20 dollars as well. 

I got a lot of mine brand new from Amazon, and some old rare ones from third-party dealers. The game is $40, but shipping takes it up to $50. >_<

GUTS

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »
The highest retail price for PSP games now is $40, with budget ones clocking in at $20 to $30, if you're paying more than that then you're getting hosed.  DS games retail for $30-$40.  Not exactly a huge difference in price there.

Steveroni

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2008, 09:44:19 PM »
http://psp.ign.com/articles/843/843553p1.html

You can pick it up for $29.99! ^____^

What is the difference between this and the Bomberman game already out for PSP?

ceti alpha

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2008, 11:43:16 PM »
Well most PCE games cost $60-80 back in the day, US releases were usually $40-50, and that was as long as 20 years ago when you get could a VW Golf GTI for $13,000, gas was $0.75 a gallon, milk was $1.25, etc.

Man, TG 16 new releases were expensive here in Canada, or at least Nova Scotia. Getting a TG 16 game, or a Genesis and SNES game for that matter, was a not a cheap transaction. For a new release you could be looking at $70-90 dollars.  :shock: But it was the late 80s/early 90s and our dollar was shite and our debt was huge. Then we kicked out the Conservatives and the Liberals came in and straightened our shit out. hmmm...sounds familiar. lol

Anyway, needless to say I didn't buy too many games for the TG 16....I didn't have that many pennies.  :P Though, near the end of TGs run the games got significantly cheaper. Even when the Duo came out it seemed as if the prices in games dropped to those $40-50 dollar ranges.

"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"