Author Topic: what a dork!!  (Read 551 times)

Tatsujin

Re: what a dork!!
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 11:14:56 AM »
ATOMLOL..so better they did. i would have done the same :lol:
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

esteban

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 11:27:18 AM »
So, I haven't checked, but you say they removed the video. Damn.

Vigilante is a port of an arcade game. It's a damn good port, too, but it's still a port.

Personally, despite it's shortcomings, I have a blast playing through Vigilante. I love the music. It's got that late '80s/early '90s arcade sound.
I actually wasn't impressed with Vigilante back in the day. It was barely OK, as far as I was concerned.

Of course, I paid top dollar for it (it was one of the first games I got for TG-16) and I thought Blazing Lazers and even China Warrior were more fun and provided more bang for the buck. Vigilante was too easy and too short. At least China Warrior was more challenging (if not more annoying).

So, I had some fun with Vigilante, but I was under-impressed with it.

PRO TIP: To increase your enjoyment, do not use the turbo switches in Vigilante or China Warrior.

Fast forward to Keranu joining the forums. His enthusiasm for the game was infectious, so I started playing Vigilante again. Well, it wasn't so bad after all. It was fun, especially if you try to use a variety of different moves / weapons. The gripping storyline! The character designs. The IREM billboards in the last level.

I, too, love the tunes in Vigilante. Great stuff. I really dig the "whirling" sound of the nunchakus (sp?), too.

Plus, I no longer felt cheated of my $$$. 

Plus, when I bought the PCE version, I realized that the cover art was a goddam brilliant work of art:

(I've praised this art in the past, on at least two occasions, so I won't repeat myself now. Suffice it to say, I love this cover art.)
  |    | 

Keranu

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
Fast forward to Keranu joining the forums. His enthusiasm for the game was infectious, so I started playing Vigilante again. Well, it wasn't so bad after all. It was fun, especially if you try to use a variety of different moves / weapons. The gripping storyline! The character designs. The IREM billboards in the last level.
Hmm I think I remember talking about Vigilante back then now. By the way, I still like the American cover! As I pointed out before, I think American covers like Vigilante do a good job portraying the surrondings of the game. Of course, I do prefer the Japanese cover.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Tatsujin

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 02:25:03 PM »
yeah..in this case, the JPN cover doesn't really appear that well, but mostly due to the reason it tries to appear like a typical american cover :twisted:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 02:29:45 PM by Tatsujin »
www.pcedaisakusen.net
the home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games coundown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^

bust3dstr8

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »
that's the general problem of our "halo & co" games player generation!

Even those douchebags at Gamespot crapped on the TG16 games. When they first reviewed Splatterhouse they
gave it a good score. Now that we have all these flashy games they give it a 4.7 on the Wii... wtf?? it's still the same game you liked back then.

Clowns Suck

guyjin

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 02:51:37 PM »
people are more sophisticated* now.

*and by sophisticated, i mean pretentious.
"Fun is a strong word." - SNK
"Today, people do all kind of shit." - Tatsujin

spenoza

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2008, 04:26:56 AM »
We are more easily goggled by prettiness and sparkles now.
<a href="http://www.pcedaisakusen.net/2/34/103/show-collection.htm" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">My meager PC Engine Collection so far.</a><br><a href="https://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">PC Engine Software Bible</a><br><a href="http://www.racketboy.com/forum/" c