Author Topic: What is the best Turbo/PC Engine Tennis game?  (Read 297 times)

monads

What is the best Turbo/PC Engine Tennis game?
« on: September 23, 2004, 06:20:46 AM »
I'm a big tennis fan/player, and I think one of the best old school games has to be ATP World Tour for the Genesis.  That aside, I want to know what's the best on the TG/PC engine console.

We have a choice of 4 games I think.

1. Davis Cup Tennis
2. Final Match Tennis
3. Power Tennis
4. World Court Tennis

I have World Court and Davis cup.  They're ok, but I want to know about the other two.  Anybody play'em?

Zerojean

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 11:53:23 AM »
IMO, Final Match Tennis is the best 2D Tennis game still, better than its younger brother Super Tennis from where i'm standing.........though i'm sure super Famicom fans will tell you different :lol:
Baseley09 in disguise.

monads

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 04:33:15 AM »
Well, I just checked out the ROM (Final Match) and yea, I do think it plays better than Super Tennis for the Super Famicom.  I also checked out Power Tennis but I feel Final Match is better.  On a ranking scale I would place them in this order;

Final Match, Power Tennis, Davis Cup, World Court.

monads

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 09:49:33 AM »
You know, after spending some time with Power Tennis this afternoon, I'd have to say that FM and PT are pretty close for the No. 1 spot.  It's a shame they weren't ported for a US release and all we got were the crappy World Court and Davis Cup.

Zerojean

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 10:50:58 AM »
What is power Tennis, dont think ive played that.

World Court is the Namco one right?
Baseley09 in disguise.

monads

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2004, 07:53:41 PM »
Yea, World Court is the Namco one.  Power Tennis is by Hudson Soft.  You have to check it out if you like Final Match.  I was playing it all day today and am pretty much divided now between the two.

monads

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 10:06:18 PM »
Just a follow-up.  Final match is definitely the best.  Also might want to check out Human Sports Festival.  It's a SuperCD by Human and has three games, Soccer, Golf and Final Match Tennis 'Ladies'.  I thought soccer was pretty weak.  Golf is ok but the crown is Final Match 'Ladies'.  Basically same game but with female players.  And the cheat code to adjust the AI is the same.

Zerojean

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 05:58:10 AM »
Yeah i'd like to pick up Human Sports Festival, the football is Formation Soccer innit, whicv went on to become Super Soccer on Super Nintendo.
Baseley09 in disguise.

masvil

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 12:08:42 PM »
Quote from: "Zerojean"
IMO, Final Match Tennis is the best 2D Tennis game still,
I agree, the gameplay is near perfect.
MasviL

Keranu

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2006, 05:58:46 PM »
Final Match Tennis is my favorite, though I really like the RPG mode in World Court Tennis :D . I have only just recently found that there is a huge fanbase of Final Match Tennis throughout Europe, which is very interesting.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Digi.k

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 02:01:07 PM »
I tried that final match tennis on emulation.  Its good but I find the ball moves too fast for my liking.

I prefer the simple playability of World Court and I kinda really love the simplistic but cute graphics too.

masvil

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 02:01:39 AM »
Quote from: "Keranu"
I have only just recently found that there is a huge fanbase of Final Match Tennis throughout Europe, which is very interesting.

Do you know sites other than http://www.final-match-tennis.com ?
MasviL

Keranu

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 10:27:42 AM »
Nope, that was the site I was referring to. I don't know of any other ones, still a cool site.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Amadeusama

Re: What is the best Turbo/PC Engine Tennis game?
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 10:36:40 AM »
I find Power Tennis superior to Final Match Tennis eventually.

World Court is very arcady unrealistic, and too cute for my taste, besides: 90% of the player's sprite being the head makes it kind of hard to judge where exactly on the court the player sprite stands. And it is graphically butt ugly. The sound is equally bad. My least favorite of all Namco games on the PCE.

On Davis Cup (which I would love to love if it weren't for the angle of view) I have a question:

So far I only knew it from the ROM, but that is the US version. In Japan it was on CD - are there any actual differences to gameplay/modes, etc., or did they just add music and other "fluff"?
So I actually bought me a book on Mahjong ...

TheClash603

Re: What is the best Turbo/PC Engine Tennis game?
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 02:06:45 PM »
I only played the TG16 tennis games, and they sucked.  Maybe I will have to try the PCE games to get the taste outta my mouth.