Author Topic: What's cheaper, the real thing or the VC?  (Read 968 times)

GUTS

Re: What's cheaper, the real thing or the VC?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
If anything its pretty f*cking pathetic that you can spend less than $100 more on all but the Turbo and get real copies of the games with boxes and manuals.

Keranu

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 05:38:12 PM »
Quote from: Zeta
Yeah but if you change "TG-16" to "PC Engine", it will flip the other way around. People just pay way to damned much for US releases.
You'd probably still save money on the VC if it was specifically related to PCE games. The usual price for a normal PCE game doesn't really go under $10 online, plus another thing to keep in mind is shipping prices since you generally won't find these games in local stores anymore.
Quote from: Bonknuts
Adding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).

Black Tiger

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 12:14:32 AM »
Yeah but if you change "TG-16" to "PC Engine", it will flip the other way around. People just pay way to damned much for US releases.
You'd probably still save money on the VC if it was specifically related to PCE games. The usual price for a normal PCE game doesn't really go under $10 online, plus another thing to keep in mind is shipping prices since you generally won't find these games in local stores anymore.

You could probably pick up a PCE Duo and all the same games on PCE for the same price or less (loose HuCards of course).
http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/forum

Active and drama free PC Engine forum

FM-77

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 06:22:15 AM »
VC is for idiots who like to pay for nothing (i e every Wii owner in the world). Downloading for free is the ONLY way to go!

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 03:00:39 AM »

You could probably pick up a PCE Duo and all the same games on PCE for the same price or less (loose HuCards of course).

Even with shipping from Japan where most of the used PC Engine games come from? I disagree.

Black Tiger

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 04:32:55 AM »

Even with shipping from Japan where most of the used PC Engine games come from? I disagree.

When you start buying in quantity from the right sellers you'll understand what I mean. Shipping from japan is generally cheaper and faster than from the U.S. or Canada for me. So many(most?) VC games can be found for $0.49 - $5 and you can get a Duo shipped for <$150.

When you factor in the average selling price of Wii hardware today, only the VC release of the few PCE games that are really expensive (no matter what the condition) could offset the overall cost.

But even then, you could buy real PCE hardware and 95+% of the games on VC for less than a Wii + VC.

Sinistron

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 04:50:10 AM »
When you start buying in quantity from the right sellers you'll understand what I mean. Shipping from japan is generally cheaper and faster than from
the U.S. or Canada for me.

True.  Dreamstars shipping on looseys starts at 1.50 (for multiple carts).  Hardly a bank breaker.

Quote from: Tatsujin
atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

esteban

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2008, 03:59:15 PM »
This thread was fun to read, but I think the VC downloads really appeal to certain people and, for them, it's convenient.

Personally, I prefer to own an album, as opposed to buying an mp3 from iTunes. Even if the mp3 was significantly cheaper, it still would rarely be worth it, IMO.

This analogy fits the VC as well -- unless a game is absolutely insanely priced (Dynastic Hero, as Black_Tiger mentioned) -- I just don't feel the trade-off is worth it.

Since I can't "rip" ROMs to VC in the same way you can rip mp3's from a CD album, I would buy a few VC games. I'd rationalize this by saying that I was paying for the convenience of using the VC, or paying a few dollars to play a game that would otherwise cost $$$.

I wasted $50+ on cell phone games over the last two years... I paid for the privilege of playing goofy games on my phone. The VC, in comparison, seems like a much better deal! :)

Ultimately, of course, a battered TG-16, custard-caked turbopad + loose hucards > VC any day of the week!
  |    | 

Nintega Turbine Trio-CBS

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008, 04:14:09 PM »
When you start buying in quantity from the right sellers you'll understand what I mean. Shipping from japan is generally cheaper and faster than from
the U.S. or Canada for me.

True.  Dreamstars shipping on looseys starts at 1.50 (for multiple carts).  Hardly a bank breaker.

Where are you getting $1.50 from? His/her price for EMS is $12. Maybe $1.50 more for each game?

Sinistron

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008, 04:58:59 PM »
Who said anything about EMS?
And I'm getting it from the dozens of times I've bought from them.
taken directly from a loose hucard sale page of theirs-

For North America Area & Europe via Airmail Shipping(no insurance).
1 Hu card =$1.50
2 Hu cards=$1.50
3 Hu cards=$2.50
4 Hu cards=$2.50
5 Hu cards=$2.50
6 Hu cards=$2.50
7 Hu cards=$3.50
8 Please ask us.

This is always how I have my hucards from them shipped- and they come quicker than advertised for me- maybe only three times I've ordered from them has a 1.50 ship taken longer than 8 days- and mostly they come quicker- 4-6 days.  Insurance isn't necessary for a cheap loose hucard- and I've always gotten what I ordered.  Trust me- I've gotten a decent amount of my 160 hucards from them.

atm its just amateurish boytoy shizzle
they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real

SignOfZeta

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008, 05:35:48 PM »
I usually buy my stuff from Hit Japan. Its $7 air mail for the first game, but only $2 more for every game after that. After shipping its still almost always cheaper than a US seller. Last night I bought Xanadu 1 and Princess Minerva for a grand total of $23.99. Not bad for two decent games. Xanadu is usually more than that by itself, before shipping, from US sellers.

Also, as of a little while ago if you buy a system from him he will give you free shipping on up to 20 games. That's pretty kick ass, IMO. Shipping on systems can get pricey though...

I'm still amazed at how cheap PCE stuff is now. I can remember buying things like Yuna 2 for $70 back in the day thinking it was cheap since other PCE games were $80-90.

Black Tiger

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 01:23:17 AM »
EMS usually takes at least a week and a half to two weeks or more for me, plus there are usually complications with picking the package up locally. Airmail arrives in as little as 2 - 3 business days from japan and is hassle free.

Most of the sellers I buy from charge $5 for one game and roughly actual postage for anything larger.

It can get pricey for postage to ship a console from japan, but the deals are just that much better. Especially if you're willing to buy an incomplete or cosmetically imperfect system.